Long Island, NY High School Rifle Team Praised in Newspaper

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

NYrifle

Long Island, NY High School Rifle Team Praised in Newspaper

Post by NYrifle »

Great example of positive press coverage for shooting
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEWSDAY

Insider
High School Sports

Rifle has grown into a go-to sport at Valley Stream District
By MARCUS HENRY

December 8, 2006

Rifle certainly isn't the average sport. It's not as physically grueling as football or basketball and isn't necessarily a team sport like baseball.

But that doesn't mean it should be taken lightly. It takes a unique individual to compete in the sport. It takes dedication and a tremendous amount of concentration.

"A lot of shooters shoot for clubs in and out of season," said Valley Stream District coach Blake McCauley. "The Nassau county PAL has a youth rifle program and so does the Roslyn Rifle and Revolver Club."

Although not considered a glamorous sport, rifle is more popular than people think, according to McCauley. "I had 36 kids tryout for an 18-member team," McCauley said. "Initially 73 kids signed up, but only 36 actually took a physical to try out."

So what does it take to be a successful shooter? "It takes a lot of practice and focus," said McCauley, whose team has captured the last two Nassau championships. "You have to be really dedicated and be willing to put in time during the season and in the off season."

McCauley said most of his team members participate in youth rifle programs. "I have a very dedicated group of kids," said McCauley, who also coaches the PAL youth program. "Practice ends at 5:30, but most of them don't leave until at least 6:15. And they are all great students, too."

As for what he expects from his team this season, McCauley said the team always has its sights set on a county title. "We have some good experienced shooters returning," he said.

Stephen Zawislak and Jennifer Bertha, both returning all-county shooters, led Valley Stream District to a win over Baldwin earlier this week. Those aren't the only shooters McCauley will be counting on. Seniors Mike Supple and Nick Novello also return.

His team's talent notwithstanding, McCauley said he never gets ahead of himself. "We have a nice team, but you never know. We take it match to match."

BY THE NUMBERS

721 – Valley Stream District's air rifle score in its win over Baldwin earlier this week.

280.0 – Stephen Zawislak's average score in small bore last season.

251.7 – Jennifer Bertha's average score in small bore last season.

185 – Zawislak's air rifle score in Valley Stream District's win over Baldwin.

183 – Bertha's air rifle score in Valley Stream District's win over Baldwin.

SHOOTERS TO WATCH

Jennifer Bertha, Valley Stream District – All-county performer in small bore and air rifle who should pick up where she left off.

Peter Hanlon, Garden City – Expected to help the Trojans battle Valley Stream District for the county title.

Eric Rieger, Garden City – Returning all-county performer rounds out what should be an excellent team.

Desiree Simpson, Sewanhaka District – Should emerge as one of the leaders of a solid team.

Stephen Zawislak, Valley Stream District – Zawislak is one of the top returning shooters in the county who will make a run to the state championship.

Copyright 2006 Newsday Inc.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/highschoo ... 7266.story
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

Blake has done a great job with the team for several years now. The History of smallbore shooting in High Schools on Long Island goes back over 60 years. At one time there were over 90 teams and ranges spread all over the Island. Nearly every high school had a range and fielded a team, these were the years I was involved in coaching. With the advent of the "your not going to teach my child to shoot" goody goodies in the 60's and after Columbine, scores of ranges were shut down with the massive hysterical movement and the sudden discovery of the "LEAD PROBLEM." So Valley Stream School District, which has an old, rich history of High School level smallbore, is one of the few that manages to carry on the tradition. Congratulations to Blake and his program.
AlDanko

Post by AlDanko »

This is a great article. Congrats to Blake and Valley Stream for keeping the program going and doing great things with it. Nice job by the author of the article. Keep it up and thank you Valley Stream and Blake.
merricus

Post by merricus »

I'm glad to see this article made the site. My Juniors shoot with the VS team all the time and they are a great bunch of Kids. Blake is one of the "good guys" and a great coach who really goes the extra mile to make sure his kids get every chance to participate in matches that are not involved with High School. Whether it is Sectionals, Junior matches, or the Empire State Games, Blake is always there with his shooters.
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

Bob Riegl wrote:Blake has done a great job with the team for several years now. The History of smallbore shooting in High Schools on Long Island goes back over 60 years. At one time there were over 90 teams and ranges spread all over the Island. Nearly every high school had a range and fielded a team, these were the years I was involved in coaching. With the advent of the "your not going to teach my child to shoot" goody goodies in the 60's and after Columbine, scores of ranges were shut down with the massive hysterical movement and the sudden discovery of the "LEAD PROBLEM." So Valley Stream School District, which has an old, rich history of High School level smallbore, is one of the few that manages to carry on the tradition. Congratulations to Blake and his program.
Bob, You're really bringing back memories. Nowadays, it's hard to believe that back in the 50's, many New York City high schools had rifle teams also. Ones that come to mind, are Jamaica HS, and Brooklyn Technical HS (B'klyn Tech).

The shooters were able to walk the halls carrying their rifles (sans bolts, which were secured by the instructor), without so much as raising an eyebrow.

Boy! Have times changed!! Glad to see the sport's still alive out on the Island.
Paul
F. Paul in Denver

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

Even my Catholic school in Brooklyn (Most Holy Trinity) had a high school rifle team in the early 60's. I was in the elementary school program at time and couldnt wait to graduate so I could join. It was quite a sight to see a dominican priest carrying a rifle from the range to the armory.

The program was shut down in 1964/65. [/b]
Richard Newman

school shooting teams

Post by Richard Newman »

This thread is making me feel my age!!! I went to Bayside HS in NY which didn't have a shooting team, but in 1953 I started at Queens College and joined the college team. We didn't have a range, and had one practice night a week at Jamaica High. Queens College was part of the 17 team Metropolitan Intercollegiate Rifle League which ranged from Kings Point Maritime Acadamy to Rutgers in NJ. One year we doormats who were usually near the bottom of the standings even won at Kings Point, who nomally were at the top of the league. Had a great celebratory dinner.
Attitudes were indeed different. I finally scraped up enough cash to buy a used 52B. Up til then I had used a team rifle. Bought it at Griffin and Howe. Took it home on the subway and bus, no case (no money left for one) with the bolt in my pocket. No one even blinked, said a word, ran from the subway car, or reacted in any other way I could see. Can you imagine that today? even before 9/11? Its a sad thing when irrational fears are used by politicians to gain votes at the cost to honest citizens.
Richard Newman
Sid J

Post by Sid J »

Its great to see shooting alive on Long Island. I was introduced to the sport through my high school shooting team. Shooting has been apart of my life ever since. Think how many others got their start in shooting through high school teams. I am originally from Lynbrook and our range was in the school basement.

Blake deserves a lot of credit. I'm sure his job isn't easy but he is making a direct impact on the future of the sport. Valley Stream also deserves a lot of credit for continuing to support high school rifle. Thanks to Newsday and the author of the article for publishing a great story. I'll be looking for more stories like this in Newsday.