is it realy worth dishing out for a first air pistol?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
gunslung

is it realy worth dishing out for a first air pistol?

Post by gunslung »

I've got a few years experience with target rifles, from air powered and smallbore, up to 308 cal.

Recently I've become interested in 10m air pistol, partly because its something new to try, but also because I love all forms of target sports and I've always wanted an airpistol.

is it worth emptying the bank on something like a steyr or a morini strait away, or should I buy something cheaper like a gamo or one of those weirdy looking baikal pistols?
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

If you want to ease into the game, the wierdy looking Baikal is the way to go. There's really nothing in between that and the Steyr/Morini level of air pistol.
cdf

Post by cdf »

There are three ways to go , an Izzy (IZH46M ) , something descent - used , lots of CO2 out there , still pretty good if ya get the right deal . Or you can go with something new , this is the route I took ; in fact I couldn't decide - bought both a Styer LP10 , and a Morini 162E short . I dont regret it in the least , you get what you pay for .

Personally , unless I could get a sharp deal on a top notch used piece ( something like an LP1 , if I had to do it over , i'd go with a new LP10.

As always YMMV,

Good luck ,

Chris

P.S. A new piece will sting a little at the time of purchase , but over the years you wont even remember the cost .
gunslung

Post by gunslung »

I'm very tempted by the LP10 and also the LP2 and the jnr version, but I dont know if theres a massive difference between them other than price.

I'm not too sure about length of the sight base either, I'm pretty sure I've fired carbine rifles with a smaller sight radius than some of the top model air pistols!

my rifle experience says go with a longer barrel, while my lack of experience with pistols says go with a shorter one...
GaryBF

First Air Pistol

Post by GaryBF »

Gunslung,
A question like yours has been answered many times before. Take a little time and browse some of the previous threads on this site; there is a lot of good information here. Use the search feature at the top of the page. For example, there is a thread on short pistols towards the bottom of page 1 (www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=14610) and another thread on beginning in air pistols on page 5 (?): (www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=14339). If you appreciate fine firearms, then paying the extra money for one of the top guns is probably worth it in the long run, even if you don’t compete. I started with the Baikal IZH-46M, which is a fine gun for the money, but it is big and heavy. Before long I tired of its limitations and upgraded to the Anschutz LP@Junior. Only you knows what your threshold of pain is price-wise, but the world class air pistols like Anschutz, Morini, Pardini, and Steyr do offer a lot more for the money in the way of quality, features, and the availability of after market accessories such as grips. As you ponder your decision, don’t hesitate to ask more questions.
Mellberg

Post by Mellberg »

Buy quality from the start. If you buy some cheap plinker you'll probably end up loosing the interest since it will limit you from getting better.
Quality doen't have to be expensive. Buy a used Feinwerkbau, Steyr or something. If it ain't broken it will most sertainly be good enough for any beginner.

Good luck!

BTW, I don't know about you, but over here in Sweden Hämmerli pistols are pretty cheap. I got a brand new AP40 for 10500sek (~1350USD) with extra tube and all. Been shooting +580 a whole lot of times with it. A very nice AP!
cdf

Post by cdf »

Re: your question on sight radius , many would say a beginner is better off adjusting down the sight radius of the typical match AP . Excessive sight radius tends to magnify natural unsteadyness of the hand , which tend to cause an " oversteering " reaction . Less sight radius will make your new baby more user friendly . Yet another reason to go with a top of the line pistol , lower end guns do not have an adjustable sight radius. Don Nygord's notes have a good section on adjustments for the entry level pistol shooter , these being designed to increase user friendliness .

Most here would agree that sight radius and barrel length are subject to diminishing returns .

Chris
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I would suggest you buy what gun best fits you. Decide if you want to spend a lot or not. Only you can make that call based on how much free money you have and how seriously you're gonna take AP shooting. If you'll only be shooting it every couple of weeks then common sense would suggest you're better off keeping your money in your pocket.

As always though, try and find a gun that feels comfortable and if possible try before you buy.

Rob.
dam8

Post by dam8 »

That's a good suggestion Rob, only in many cases there aren't a whole lot of people to borriw from. When I got into AP. I had noone. I bought an Izzy 46 and within a year I bought a Steyr LP1 and like cdf I also bought a Morini. I don't regret any of the purchases. I sold the 46 for what I bought it for, so I think it's a safe way to go buying the IZH first. Regardless of what you get,especially if you buy used, you'll get most of your money bsck if you decide to sell.
joe4702

Post by joe4702 »

I bought an Izzy first as a test. I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy one-handed, slow, deliberate 10m shooting, having mostly done two-handed plinking and "combat" type shooting in the past. Once I decided I liked AP, I found a good deal on a lightly used LP10 here on TT. I could sell the Izzy for a small loss, so it was a cheap test. However, I will probably keep it as its fun for outdoor plinking and silhouette shooting (I don't mind too much if it gets dirty or scratched).

If you're sure you'll like 10M AP and can afford it, go for a top-line gun. They are worlds apart from the Izzy in fit, finish and feel. Accuracy-wise from a bench, the Izzy is fully their equal. Good luck with your purchase.
Kylie T

BUY TAU-7!!!!! :)))

Post by Kylie T »

A question for TAU-7 Match owners...

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=14714

Hope this information helps you ;)
Lanning R. Hochhauser

BUY TAU-7!!!!! :)))

Post by Lanning R. Hochhauser »

When I started out shooting I used a Tau-7 exclusively. I got about 70 good shots from a CO2 powerlet before replacing. I also developed a dry-fire mechanism for the pistol. A drawing can be found on our host's site.
Hochhauser
Joe66

Get the best and forget the rest

Post by Joe66 »

Gunslung,

Get the best and forget the rest. You will never regret it.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Call Pilkingtons and have a talk with them.

I bought my 1st AP from one of their used pistols. That got me into the game at a more affordable price. I figure I could sell it for close to what I paid for and get a top line AP when I want to upgrade.

BTW, they stand behind what they sell. The valve failed on my AP soon after I received it, and they repaired it FAST.
Joe66

Get a used Steyr LP1 co2

Post by Joe66 »

You will never regret it, and the price is lot cheaper than a new LP10. LP1 will take you all the way to the world championship.

Get the best, and you'll never regret.
tangohammerli

Good starter

Post by tangohammerli »

Why not pick up a solid FWB 65?
They are very robust and easy to turn if you dont get REALLY serious.
BTW the M65 is an excellant pistol for competition remember the Late Don Nygord set a National Record with one.
I love mine so much that I have sold my 162 and shoot the 65 only.
Bill177

Pleasure

Post by Bill177 »

Go ahead and spend the money. You will be rewarded with a state of the art machine that will give you immense pleasure everytime you use it.

The specific make/model does not really matter - get what you are comfortable with. Get what you feel good shooting.

Can you be satisified with a used gun? You sure can. There are some nearly new guns only used on Sundays by a little old lady out there. You just have to find them.

Check with our host about used or new guns. His advice will be honest and sincere.
Joe66

Are you kidding

Post by Joe66 »

Tagohammerli said
Why not pick up a solid FWB 65?
They are very robust and easy to turn if you dont get REALLY serious.
BTW the M65 is an excellant pistol for competition remember the Late Don Nygord set a National Record with one.
I love mine so much that I have sold my 162 and shoot the 65 only.

I said "Are you kidding me? A spring power airgun is accurate and as easy to shoot as a LP-1 (Co2)? "

Did you ever shoot a Steyr LP1?
RobStubbs

A million different answers

Post by RobStubbs »

Well if you wanted a diverse set of opinions you'll be well pleased. Without adding to the confusion I'd just suggest you try before you buy if at all possible and find something that you like the feel of. The rest of it is down to you and how deep your pockets are.

Rob.

Post by Guest »

Ok all flame if you want but hereis some thoughts for the beginner low to high cost. Dasiy 747, accurate on the heavy side ssp power plant,low cost custom grips and sights available also best unit for production silly wet. Izh46m better sights more cost much better triggerand sights,& grips some aftermarkets parts available. FWB, Pardini, Walther ssp types Purchase used. Add a tin of pellets to any of the above and you are off and running. Next up In the used market would be any of co2 units from Pardini steyer anschutz walther FWB cost $350 to 1000, You can expect about 200 shots per fill. switching to new co2 would be Tau-7 Areon Twinmaster to name a few. Sometimes these show up used also. Not quite in the same league as the first 4 names Cost $500 to $900 new Not much less on the used pricing side from what I have seen.( triggers are not as well refined) The first four will require you to get a bulk charging tank( $50 to $100 with a siphon tube installed, fire extingisher service centers can fix one up) The later use the 12gram caplets available all over, and some come with a small bulk tank that could be filled at a pintball shop or fire ext, shop ect. Lastly are the currect crop of PCP units which have some minor refinements over the co2 units, in addition you will need a pump for these $200 or scuba tank with adapter addanothe $200 or so. I have a 747,IZH,Crosmann/Skanker 88 (co2 bulk)pardini (co2 bulk),FWB 40 pcp, of my own and have shot most of the other units extensivly. As a starter gun the izh can't be beat for the price new. Co2(bulk) vs pcp pros & cons for each, really no advantage one over the other. I will mention that the current Walther lpm300x $1300+ has a synthetic grip material which I am not fond of. I do not see any clear cut advantages in the top of the line units. Lot of wind here for what its worth.