3x Air results

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

3x Air results

Post by Guest »

It's a shame that USAS can gets its Internet act together well enough to update the results daily. It's just not that hard to do.

can't

Post by Guest »

neither can I

Post by Guest »

The efforts of USAS with regard to the website and updating scores is nothing short of PATHETIC
SouthMarv

Post by SouthMarv »

I agree their website is an embarrassment. I am also interested in getting the 3X scores and the USA Shooting website has nothing. Having a professional and up to date website is not difficult. It seems every organization besides USA Shooting has a decent web presence. USA Shooting is putting zero effort towards their website and it certainly shows. Its a disaster.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Just an idea if it is so easy and you guys know how to do it, why don't you guys volunteer your time?

Post by Guest »

Because people at USAS get paid to do it.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Are you sure they're paid?

IF the webmaster is a paid position, it's a fair complaint.....but if it isn't, and I would not place bets either way, the complaint is way out of line.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Anonymous wrote:Because people at USAS get paid to do it.
I love the comments from people who can't even put their name to them. Like the other poster said do you know for a fact know that they get paid, lots of positions are just volunteers. Besides that they actually are posted so there you go.
Last edited by Richard H on Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest »

Mike M. wrote:Are you sure they're paid?

IF the webmaster is a paid position, it's a fair complaint.....but if it isn't, and I would not place bets either way, the complaint is way out of line.
There's no indication that they're not being paid. And, it doesn't matter if they aren't being paid. The annual budget for USAS is certainly large enough to pay a Webmaster (it can't be a full-time job) since it's really now the primary way to communicate with their membership and the rest of the world.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Anonymous wrote:

There's no indication that they're not being paid. And, it doesn't matter if they aren't being paid. The annual budget for USAS is certainly large enough to pay a Webmaster (it can't be a full-time job) since it's really now the primary way to communicate with their membership and the rest of the world.
And they should use that budget to make sure that you are happy sitting at home with up to the minute scores, as opposed to using it to fund athletes, right. If you're really interested why don't you go and actually compete then you would know the scores.
LadyJayne

FYI

Post by LadyJayne »

The site was hacked and the VOLUNTEER who created it is rebuilding the front page. See here more about the coming upgrade:

viewtopic.php?t=14408

3X Air

Day 1
http://www.usashooting.org/modules.php? ... le&sid=329

Day 2
http://www.usashooting.org/modules.php? ... le&sid=332

Day 3 -
http://www.usashooting.org/modules.php? ... le&sid=338

Full Results Spreadsheet
http://www.usashooting.com/modules.php? ... erby=dateD
Last edited by LadyJayne on Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sally Sue Johnson

All About The Athletes

Post by Sally Sue Johnson »

Richard H wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

And they should use that budget to make sure that you are happy sitting at home with up to the minute scores, as opposed to using it to fund athletes, right. If you're really interested why don't you go and actually compete then you would know the scores.

Amen to that one...
SouthMarv

Post by SouthMarv »

Richard H wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

I don't think having a professional webpage is a difficult task for an organization that charges $35 a year for membership. USA Shooting does not restrict membership to current athletes, it encourages all fans of the shooting sports to join. USA Shooting has stated on numerous occasions that its website is its primary means of communication with its members and the country to promote competitive shooting. Just because I'm not at the match doesn't mean I don't care about the results. I am a member of USA Shooting because I am a fan of the sport and look forward to see how the athletes performed, just like a fan of any other sport.

My main contention about the web page is that it creates a poor impression of the organization that governs Olympic shooting and therefore the sport. It does not do a good job of promoting the sport or highlighting the accomplishments of its shooting athletes. A well designed and useful webpage can be an extremely effective means of communication. The USA Shooting web page, in its present form, hampers USA Shooting's ability to reach its stated mission objectives.

Richard H - you say USA Shooting's entire budget should go to supporting its athletes. In a perfect world that would be great but USA Shooting needs to promote Olympic style shooting so they'll be future athletes to support. The current web page does little to promote the sport or tell the stories of its athletes. Any outsider not familiar with the sport would be lost trying to navigate the site. How can USA Shooting effectively communicate with the outside world and be media friendly if their website is a mess. I'm sure the websites of the governing bodies of other Olympic sports have effective websites without sacrificing funds to support their athletes.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

As LadyJayne said ..... there is a new website about to be launched. The current site as it stands is a quick fix to a hack on the website. Lets wait until the new site is released before any new complaints.

USAS now has a >staff< member rather than a volunteer to maintain the site. Give her the BOTD if you have one.

I know that when the previous site was to be launched it took over a month for the USAS board to approve it and make changes. (We saw the previews at the Nat Coach Conference and it took 6 weeks after that for it to hit the web. With the recent hack on the site I know that they are EXTREMELY sensitive about what is going up on the site and how vulnerable it could be.

I can honestly say that when I have made suggestions (recently) they have been very attentive and interested. I'm looking forward to seeing the new site.

Post by Guest »

Southmarv wrote:

How can USA Shooting effectively communicate with the outside world and be media friendly if their website is a mess. I'm sure the websites of the governing bodies of other Olympic sports have effective websites without sacrificing funds to support their athletes.
Amen to a statement that makes some sense for a change.

Whoever is in charge of designing the website is not thinking from the perspective of the website's typical user. What seems to make perfect sense for the designer makes absolutely no sense to the target audience. There exists a plethora of examples of how the website has come to resemble a rat maze rather than a straightforward source of information.

Maybe before USAS went to all the trouble of designing what is now an unmitigated mess, it should have solicited and then enlisted the voluntary aid of a few grass root USAS members to provide input as to what is helpful and what is NOT.

This reluctance to reach out to the membership is a symptom of a much bigger problem with USAS that transcends the website issue - - - USAS IS NOT LISTENING and has lost touch with it's root membership.

Name intentionally withhheld - it would add nothing to the argument except to invite yet another ad hominem attack from a certain Canadian who seems to have appointed himself as the resident sniper on just about every issue with which he disagrees.

USAS Not Listening? It's a New Day

Post by Guest »

USAS not listening?

How many of you sent your suggestions to their media lady when requested? See the quote below. I have voiced mine - even today.

Give it a try - It's a new day at USA Shooting.
Coach Don wrote:I just got an email from the new Media Relations Mgr. - Najasila J. Campbell, at USAS, and she told me that they are working on changing the web site. It should have better navigation, fewer downloads, fewer unnecessary links, more useful information and a new look. One of their donors is helping with this and it should be rolled out by the end of the year.
Thought you folks might like to know. She is looking for secific suggestions, too. If there are web sites with better content/navigation, send her a link. She is available at her email: ncampbell@usashooting.org
Don in Oregon
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Anonymous wrote:
Name intentionally withhheld - it would add nothing to the argument except to invite yet another ad hominem attack from a certain Canadian who seems to have appointed himself as the resident sniper on just about every issue with which he disagrees.
Have a nice day :)
SouthMarv

Post by SouthMarv »

Anonymous wrote:Southmarv wrote:

Whoever is in charge of designing the website is not thinking from the perspective of the website's typical user. What seems to make perfect sense for the designer makes absolutely no sense to the target audience. There exists a plethora of examples of how the website has come to resemble a rat maze rather than a straightforward source of information.
Agreed. While I am happy to hear USA Shooting is listening and making changes to their web page I hope they consider their target audience this go around. The web page should be designed with useful and easy to find information for media and people not familiar with the sport. At the same time the website must provide services to meet the demands of its membership. For example, up to date match results, pictures from events, match schedules, up to date athlete bios. Thats just a start.

LadyJayne, I appreciate you posting on these boards and letting us know that USA Shooting is listening. I look forward to USA Shooting's revamped internet presence.