How to reduce noise in air rifle shooting

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

mishradk

Post by mishradk »

hello people..
i shoot air rifle at my home range(10 mtr).
But the pellet hit makes more noise than the rifle.
i have a manual target changer..

any one has any idea how to reduce noise from the target trap..?

regards
mishradk
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Use something else as a pellet trap. Options include newspaper, old telephone directories, carpet etc. They are all prone to be more messy, but if it's noise reduction you're after. Just remembered you may be able to get some sort of putty as well that does the same job.

Rob.
TargetTerror

Post by TargetTerror »

I second Rob. I have a trap made from an old shoe box (for boots, actually, so its big enough), newspaper, and some foam. I'm not sure exactly what kind of foam it is, as my neighbor gave some to me many years ago. Its quite rigid and serves as a decent backing for the paper targets. I suspect it would also dampen the sound of the pellet hitting the newspaper or putty. In any event, I found it extremely quite, more so than my rifle.

What sort of pellet trap do you currently have? If it is metal, it is going to be much louder than any softer substance.
n1heu

Post by n1heu »

My backstop behind my target hanger is some old sweatshirts backed up by a paper bag full of newspapers. Every couple of thousand shots I move the sweatshirts around and rotate them. I have a large supply as an old job issued them to me at about 15 a year. Also some air rifle shooters I know use a heavy canvas as a backstop. As a side note,I place a large pail under the backstop to catch the pellets as they fall.
batty

Post by batty »

i'm sure that i've hear putty being used somewhere on this board
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

batty wrote:i'm sure that i've hear putty being used somewhere on this board
Yep - Do a search on 'pellet traps', I think it was quite a few months ago but search over the last year and it should be there.

Rob.
peepsight

Silent pellet trap

Post by peepsight »

Hi

Check out Sales@ArcherAirguns.com

This is a US company that makes a silent trap that will hold all the current 10m targets. ,

Peepsight
rogerv

Post by rogerv »

Don't create work for yourself making an unsatisfactory pellet trap.

Simply shoot into a box of rags. Dead quiet and the more you use it the better it works.
mishradk

Post by mishradk »

Hi people..
Sorry as i am answering you late.. but thank you very much for you peoples suggestion..
Actually i already have a target changer.. ( manual) it looks like gehman 's target changer.

so i can not use any other technique..
but as the back metal plate is bit thin is producing sound a lot..

i have one idea.. if i increase the thickness of the back plate .. some 5mm thick.. i think sound will get reduced as the pellet will not be able to vibrate the back metal plate..

what you people suggest?
regards
mishradk
jrmcdaniel

Post by jrmcdaniel »

Fiberglass or foam attached to back/sides. Put trap in box lined with fiberglass/foam. Use Gehmann traps (they are pretty quiet). Use trap made of duct seal putty -- they are reported to be very quiet.

Joe
Wolverine

Post by Wolverine »

I built myself a trap similar to the one Archer Airguns sells. I put a piece of steel cut from an old computer case and then filled it up with plastic grocery bags that I had wadded up. As I have shot and checked the bags I found that sometimes the pellets do not reach the back of the trap. My trap is about 6 inches deep.

Wolverine
Lee Sellers Guest

Post by Lee Sellers Guest »

A heavier back plate,

Place putty in the box (the kind sold at HomeDepot in the electrical isle for sealing conduit,

Attach some Simms vibration dampers ... like used on a hunting bow.

Lee
mishradk

Post by mishradk »

Hi People..
thank you for your suggestions..

Every one is telling to use putty.. I am not quite sure where to use..
Behind the metal plate.. , Infront of the metal plate or where?

Regards
Mishradk
batty

Post by batty »

put it where the pellet will hit, on that face anyhow
Roys14

Post by Roys14 »

earplugs---they're a wonderful thing
Lanning R. Hochhauser

Post by Lanning R. Hochhauser »

I use a Nygord trap. I took the spring out, put the splash plate in the upright position and added a one inch layer of Duct Seal. Very quiet.
LH