Email List for Blind Shooters

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Rutty

Email List for Blind Shooters

Post by Rutty »

A blind rifle shooter in our club (Holwell Rifle Club, Melton Mowbray, UK) has set up an email list to enable blind shooters and others with an interest to exchange information. If your club has facilities for the blind or you know anyone with an interest then please pass on the following url to them:

http://lists.topica.com/lists/blindshooters

Thanks,

Rutty
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Go!

I will add the group to the links on the Pistol Australia Referees' website

Spencer

Post by Guest »

Hi Spencer,

Thank you for doing that. I would also be interested in links to any sites dealing with shooting for the visually impaired. Although it is fairly widespread, you usually have to drill down a lot to find information (I know that this is the case inthe UK). Much is contained in corners of sites which deal with the wider subject of shooting for the disabled and that makes it difficult for the visually impaired to locate and access.

Any help or information that anyone can offer will be gratefully received.

Thanks
Rutty
Curious

Blind Shooting? What?

Post by Curious »

I am not being facetious, merely curious.

It seems to me that certain physical limitations would impair and even prevent activities such as shooting. For instance, I would not logically assume that someone with no arms would be physically unable to play baseball because the sport depends on the regular use of one's arms. Likewise, I would not assume that someone who is blind could shoot because the challenge of the sport depends on the shooter being able to see the target and execute a precise shot at the moment the sights are exactly centered on the target.

Please explain this anomaly of the blind shooter to me.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

have a look at
http://www.ibsa.es/eng/deportes/shootin ... 5-2009.pdf

section 11 will give you the idea

Spencer
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

I, too, was wondering how a blind person can safely use a firearm. It appears that where there is a will, there is a way.

Anyone who can hit an ISSF target anywhere close to center by using sound has my admiration.
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

I am Impressed.

I was aware of this from notes in the para olymipcas rules, but this is the first time I have has chan to find out how it works.

If you are interest in able bodied shooters interact, I will be happy to join to list.

Julian Y
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

Julian Y, all interested parties are welcome. I note that you are located in the Netherlands, there is a big international blind shooting match held every year at Appeldoorn.

Below are acouple of photos of the Swarkovski equipment utilised:

The subject isn't blind, but he is 93 and says he needs all the help he can get.

This time in use in unsupported shooting.

The results of this year's world championships can be found here:

http://www.wch2006.ch/german/resultate-de/files/R11.pdf

For a good description of the equipment and its use, look here:

http://www.britishblindsport.org.uk/shooting.htm

I believe that the system used in the USA differs from that described above. I would like details of it, the information on the NRA website is sketchy.

Lastly, anyone with a SCATT or Noptel can try shooting with sound. One of the options is to turn on or off audio tones. These vary ring by ring and are not the smooth tone of the Swarkovski system, but at least you acn have a go. It is difficult.

Rgds
Rutty
xtreme

Post by xtreme »

I am also impressed. The scores are outstanding.
Do they have an air pistol event?

Spencer,
Do they promote this here in Australia?

Mark
May all your shots be "10's"
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Not that I am aware of - ceratinly not that has involved the NRC
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

Do they have an air pistol event?
No air pistol AFAIK. Isn't standing rifle unsupported with your eyes closed difficult enough!! Seriously though, the problem with air pistol would be the additional weight of the sighting equipment (equivalent to a standard 'scope sight) and the requirement to modify the pistol to accept it. However if there was demand I expect it could be achieved.
Do they promote this here in Australia?
Spencer has answered the question, but if anyone is interested in investigating the possibility of starting blind shooting then they could contact Ken Nash whose details are here:

http://www.britishblindsport.org.uk/shootingContact.htm

As well as being the driving force behind this branch of the sport in the UK, Ken is the Treasurer of The National Smallbore Rifle Association.

One of the usual problems in starting something like this is funding. In my own club we obtained a grant from a local charitable trust, The Everard Foundation. Try Googling "Everard Foundation" to see the kind of project they support and then go looking for local equivalents. Funding to enable disability groups to participate in mainstream sport is sometimes easier to find than support for the sport itself.

Goog luck,
Rutty

Rutty
TWP

Post by TWP »

I didn't doubt that a blind person could shoot.

But those are some pretty amazing scores.
TWP

Post by TWP »

Any links for where to buy the sighting equipment for the blind shooters?
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

Any links for where to buy the sighting equipment for the blind shooters?
TWP,

Sorry, but I don't know of and can't even Google any! The best I can suggest is that you contact Ken Nash via:

http://www.britishblindsport.org.uk/shootingContact.htm

Ken arranges the supply of these items in the UK and is also the best source of information I know. However I shall keep looking and iF I find anything out I'll post it here.

Rgds
Rutty
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

TWP,

Further to my last post, I am informed that there is nothing on the Swarovski site about the acoustic sight, and the information I posted above is the best advice I can give.

I did receive a bit more background information, but rather than post it all here I have sent it to you as a Personal Message.

Rgds and all the best for 2007
Rutty
TWP

Post by TWP »

Thanks rutty,

I'm a junior shooting coach, and I also have a good friend that is visually handcapped (she doesn't mind the term blind). She's a disabilities coordinatore at a university and very active in disabilities awareness.

If I could find wout how to obtain this equipment I'd be interested in starting a blind air rifle shooters program.