Does anyone make an electronic trigger free rifle anymore?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

mk

Does anyone make an electronic trigger free rifle anymore?

Post by mk »

Many years ago I shot an electronic trigger Feinwerkbau Free rifle and liked it a lot. Sadly, they don't make an electronic trigger rifle anymore. But does anyone else? I am old now but have a little girl for whom I would like to buy a good rifle. Since equipment is a major factor in performance in this sport, I would like to get her something good.

I would also like to know if anyone imports Bleiker rifles to the US. I can't seem to find any importer and e-mailing Bleiker has not got me a reply so far.

Thanks for all replies.
TargetShootingShop.com

Post by TargetShootingShop.com »

I tried the FWB myself and liked it but there was always that though in your head that if the battery ran out in a competition, or the electronics failed.......

I think the fact no-one makes an elec trigger now speaks volumes.
Slowstdy

Post by Slowstdy »

Daystate Make a number.
http://www.daystate.co.uk/
Fantastic Air rifles. Next generation of electronic triggers
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

TargetShootingShop.com wrote:I tried the FWB myself and liked it but there was always that though in your head that if the battery ran out in a competition, or the electronics failed.......

I think the fact no-one makes an elec trigger now speaks volumes.
Do you think about your mechanical trigger failing? They fail too. if the battery goes dead you put a new one in.

It does speak volumes, in the fact that the market is too small to resonably support the development and manufacture of a reliable electronic trigger.

It has nothing to do with the reliablity of electronic triggers maybe you have heard of Morini? It has more to do with the financial relality than anything else, that being said I'm sure you will see electronic triggers in riffles in the relatively near future. Most likely in air rifles as the market is bigger thus can better defray the cost of development and production.
n1heu

Post by n1heu »

It is my understanding that the electronic triggers offered no advantage over a mechanical trigger. Considering that no world class shooter is using one at the present, I would be hard pressed to consider experimenting with one myself. The current lock time on an Anschutz 2000 series rifle is 1.5ms or faster. This is mostly firing pin travel time. Electronic ignition would be faster, but the triggering on a conventional primer must be by impact. As long as this is the norm I do not see electronic triggers making any serious inroads.
TargetTerror

Post by TargetTerror »

I can't speak to the electronic trigger question, but Neal Johnson is importing Bleiker now. Here is a link:

http://www.nealjguns.com/ss_store/Small ... s-ss2.html

They seem like really nice guns, but I question if they are worth the $2000 premium over the Anschutz and FWB that all the top athletes are using.
TargetShootingShop.com

Richard H wrote:
Do you think about your mechanical trigger failing? They fail too. if the battery goes dead you put a new one in.
I have heard that mechanical triggers fail, but never had one fail, seen one fail, or know anyone thats had one fail.

Whereas I've had plenty of batteries die on me. Quite a regular occurance in fact. And I don't know if I'd fancy changing it in the middle of a shoot and still hope to shoot well.

10 second job on a Morini pistol I would imagine but hardly the same thing!
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

TargetShootingShop.com wrote:
Richard H wrote:
I have heard that mechanical triggers fail, but never had one fail, seen one fail, or know anyone thats had one fail.

Whereas I've had plenty of batteries die on me. Quite a regular occurance in fact. And I don't know if I'd fancy changing it in the middle of a shoot and still hope to shoot well.

10 second job on a Morini pistol I would imagine but hardly the same thing!
Why would changing the battery be different on a rifle?
JeroenH

Re: Does anyone make an electronic trigger free rifle anymor

Post by JeroenH »

mk wrote:Many years ago I shot an electronic trigger Feinwerkbau Free rifle and liked it a lot.
What is the advantage of an electronic trigger compared to a mechanical one?
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

The major advantage of electronic triggers is that they feel so creamy smooth, because you are only pulling against spring tension. Also, they are much consistent, becuase there is nothing to wear except the spring.

I know at least one major manufacturer plans to offer a model with one in the near future, but it will be late next year before they are publicly available.
TargetShootingShop.com

Richard H wrote:
Why would changing the battery be different on a rifle?
When I'm in prone position I'm attached to my handstop via a sling - I have my elbow fixed on the ground (which does not move once a shoot starts) and I'm on the ground!!

If I remove my sling to get at the rifle, thus moving my elbow and disturbing my whole position I ight as well stand up and forget that shoot because I will have to start from scratch when I lie down again. I find that starting from scratch and sighting in half way through a card does nothing for my score!
JeroenH

Post by JeroenH »

pilkguns wrote:The major advantage of electronic triggers is that they feel so creamy smooth, because you are only pulling against spring tension.
I suppose the electronic ones also have a second stage in the trigger, or not? How do they make this work, then, if it's not mechanical?
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

it hits a second stronger spring in the take-up process
mk

Post by mk »

Thanks Richard H and Pilkguns,

Yes, the old Feinwerkbaus were very smooth and I do not recall any reliability problems back then. In any case, with much more development in electronic technology since the 1980s there should be no reason why a much better trigger is developed now. I shall try and find a second hand rifle fro my girl to get her feet wet in this game and then when the new electronic trigger rifles come out, buy one for her.

TargetTerror,

Thanks for the Bleiker link. I saw their rifles in Germany and they are of superb quality. I guess fine champagne can never be found at beer prices.... Wish I could afford champagne though!

Post by Guest »

I really doubt that battery life would even be any of an issue, unless your the sort of bloke that forgets your ammo or the bolt to your only rifle on a reagular basis, as I understand the rules you can use another fifle to finish a match, given that it's the same basic rifle and meets the rule regs for that match.

The idea of the electronic trigger takes the idiot that has a lousy adjusted trigger or has no clue to how to "release the sear" right out of the equasion.

Once on target you can jerk that electronic switch as much as you want and it wont make any difference to the shot, problems might encounter would be the rule which prohibits its use in the match your shooting, unless open / unlimited competition allows such use.

Bloody great idea, if I could fit one to the Annie, I would, but I doubt that Hunterclass .22 BR allows such items, but still a good idea and i'd bet those who use electronic triggers would also have put a new battery in before starting and would also have fresh spares, unless they are an idiot, which sometimes exist all too often.
Anschutz

Post by Anschutz »

I think you will find whatever trigger you have fitted, if you 'jerk' the trigger it will result in a poor shot, mechanical or electronic the principle of a good shot release still apply. Colin
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

Not exactly a mainstream manufacturer, but worth a look: http://www.rmftc.eu