Flying with cylinders

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Ryan

Flying with cylinders

Post by Ryan »

Hello,
I know this was covered earlier this year, but what is the current situation with air cylinders and the TSA. Should I ship my cylinder to the 3x air match or is this not an issue if you leave the cylinder attached to the gun and empty.
Ryan
F. Paul in Denver

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

You should not expect that a cylinder attached to the gun will pass muster with the idiots at the airports you will pass through. While it is far more likely that they will miss it, any cylinder which cannot be visually checked for content is not allowed on board.

Given the investment of time and money you are making to come out to the 3X air - it's simply not worth the risk.

Find someone to mail the cylinder to in advance who will be in attendance. I am happy to do that for you and anyone else flying in. Just send me a PM message and we can work it out.

As an alternative, contact the national pistol coach Sergey Luzov and see if he can make similar arrangements for you. sergey.luzov@usashooting.org

See you in December
fpfiglia

F. Paul in Denver

Post by fpfiglia »

Sorry folks, I dont know why the PM option has suddenly disappeared from my posts nor do I know how to retrieve it.

Anyone wishing to send their cylinders in advance should just send them to me at the following address:

Law Office of F. Paul Figlia
2922 Evergreen Parkway, suite 320
Evergreen, Colorado 80439

303 670-4179
303 670-4180 fax
877 214-5725 toll free

(I hesistate to post my email address because of SPAM concerns)

I strongly suggest sending them via insured mail.
fpfiglia

Re: F. Paul in Denver

Post by fpfiglia »

fpfiglia wrote:Sorry folks, I dont know why the PM option has suddenly disappeared from my posts nor do I know how to retrieve it.

Anyone wishing to send their cylinders in advance should just send them to me at the following address:

Law Office of F. Paul Figlia (AKA F. Paul in Denver)
2922 Evergreen Parkway, suite 320
Evergreen, Colorado 80439

303 670-4179
303 670-4180 fax
877 214-5725 toll free

(I hesistate to post my email address because of SPAM concerns)

I strongly suggest sending them via insured mail.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

My favorite thing about all this is the cyclinders when sent still wind up in the hold of an airplane.
randy1952

Ignorance

Post by randy1952 »

F. Paul in Denver wrote:You should not expect that a cylinder attached to the gun will pass muster with the idiots at the airports you will pass through. While it is far more likely that they will miss it, any cylinder which cannot be visually checked for content is not allowed on board.

Given the investment of time and money you are making to come out to the 3X air - it's simply not worth the risk.

Find someone to mail the cylinder to in advance who will be in attendance. I am happy to do that for you and anyone else flying in. Just send me a PM message and we can work it out.

As an alternative, contact the national pistol coach Sergey Luzov and see if he can make similar arrangements for you. sergey.luzov@usashooting.org

See you in December
Knock on wood so far we haven't experienced any of the the TSA people stop us from sending our airguns with cylinders. As far as the experience of other people, I have found from some of the dscussion with the NRA and other people involved with the TSA that it is left-up to the discretion of the head of each airport TSA manager or supervisor as to how they want this particular regulation enforced and that is why you have inconsistency among enforcement between different airports. You either have a manager or supervisor unsure as what to do and errors on the safe side to cover his or her rear end or you have somebody enforcing his politically feelings or maybe both.

Post by Guest »

Hence the use of the term "idiots"
Josed

Post by Josed »

If enough Americans start to drive instead of fly, they will get the message. There is a reason as to why the TSA is known as
Too Stupid for Arby's.
Lee - Guest

Post by Lee - Guest »

Go to the TSA website, use the search function, find the instructions for flying with the cylinders, read these directions, follow those directions, print a copy and bring with you. It is really that simple. Call your airline and ask if they have any policy that is different than that of the TSA. They usually do not. Either way ask them for the URL that details their policy and print a copy of that as well.

The TSA personnel appreciate it when travelers bring a copy of the applicable regulation from the web site, they have hundreds of regulations to enforce and they all don't remember each and every one.

I fly regularly with firearms, and air arms and never have a problem.