Exercises for trigger control and fixing wrist

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jer

Exercises for trigger control and fixing wrist

Post by jer »

What kind of exercises you use to have better trigger release and wrist fixing. I do dry fireing against white and see errors in trigger release but how do I get rid of errors. I didnt find anywhere execises to learn to control wrist, is there any?
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

See the Pilkington Training Page with by Anatoliy Piddubnyy article especially part 2 , section 3B http://www.pilkguns.com/anatoli2.shtml
Elmas

Wrist Stablization and Trigger Control

Post by Elmas »

Fred Mannis wrote:See the Pilkington Training Page with by Anatoliy Piddubnyy article especially part 2 , section 3B http://www.pilkguns.com/anatoli2.shtml

Thank you Fred.

I'm glad I followed that link . I think all shooters with less than excellent results ( like moi ) ! should re-examine their stance, wrist stablity , and trigger release with the help of insights , tips and excercises provided in this informative 'tutorial'bya World class shooter and Coach

Elmas

Lss

Post by Lss »

extremely good read. some very interesting concepts that i can explore and hopefully incorporate. i too agree that the wrist is a major factor and now i know why my fingers tense when i try to lock my wrist. next step to train as described.
2650 Plus

The referenced quotes

Post by 2650 Plus »

I read him once and I am amazed how much he agrees with me. I read him again and cannot believe how much we dissagree. At one place he says we should not think, and in another he complains about how the younger generation is incapable of thinking because of watching too much TV. Nevertheless very educational and often enlightening. Good Shooting Bill Horton
3650 Plus

Trigger mani pulation And wrist stability

Post by 3650 Plus »

Examine the wrist first. I had fair results by taking my shooting grip on my pistol , raising the gun off the bench and pressing down with the muzzle on the bench. Not too hard , Just enough to feel the muscles tense that stabilize the wrist area. Now lets examine the trigger issue.Either you are spasmoticly jerking the trigger and that is causing the movement you are observing ,or the finger is not applling presure straight to the rear . The latter is the easiest to correct. I dealt with this problem by placing a hand mirrow beneath the pistol so I could see my trigger finger as it applied pressure in the firing position. I found that I had been adjusting my finger to move straight bach at the point of initial contact. instead of at the point where the sear releases the hammer or striker. If your problem is the first issue discussed the problem is much harder to eliminate. You are already doing the correct training to fix the sudden violent increase of pressure if that is the problem Good Shooting Bill Horton
_Axel_

Post by _Axel_ »

If it raises your score 1000p im gonna do what u say Bill! ;)
Spencer

Re: Trigger mani pulation And wrist stability

Post by Spencer »

3650 Plus wrote:... raising the gun off the bench and pressing down with the muzzle on the bench. Not too hard , Just enough to feel the muscles tense that stabilize the wrist area...
how does this fit with 8.2.5.1 When the pistol is out of its case, the pistol must always be pointed in a safe direction... and 8.6.1.2 Before and during the series, including while chambering a cartridge, or checking or cocking a pistol or revolver, the pistol must always be kept pointing down range and within the target backstop area...?

Spencer
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

FWIW

The most important thing is to find the finger position on the trigger that allows you to exert force on the trigger smoothly and straingt to the rear/at an angle that does not disturb the sights (not actually the same thing- for most guns you will actually have to pull slightly upwards so as to not disturb the sights).

Also refer to a host of trigger drills mentioned in this forum over the last year or so.

That having been said, there are some supporting things you can do to help (much less important, but hey, could help):

1) Ideally, trigger finger will operate independently from gripping fingers . . . this is impossible of course, but you can improve your ability to isolate trigger finger action from rest of hand. Work on being able to hold a closed fist with tension and wiggling your trigger finger around without affecting the rest of the hand (not as easy as you think at first!)

2) Get on of those "Kung Fu Grippers" that allow spring resistance against individual fingers. Train by alternating compressing the springs with "grip" fingers vs. trigger finger . . . grip, trigger, grip, trigger, etc. until exhaustion (high reps)

3) Strengthen hand muscles (in your lower arm, actually) with wrist curls (rolling a weight on a string up a broomstick), both forward and backward

4) Do the piano player warmup- alternate tapping your thumb with the fingers in various patterns. Increase speed and duration.

Anyhow, good luck!

Oh one more thing- the best way to learn how to manage the trigger is by sitting down, hanging the gun between you legs pointed at teh floor, then messing around with dry fire. Standing dry fire with shot plan is just too distracting and inefficient a way for you to finesse your trigger feel. You can dry fire hundreds of times with pure concentration on the trigger seated; you can maybe dry fire 30 times standing before you get tired/bored/lose focus
_Axel_

Post by _Axel_ »

funtoz

Post by funtoz »

Last edited by funtoz on Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.donthc

Post by .donthc »

Steve Swartz wrote:FWIW

Oh one more thing- the best way to learn how to manage the trigger is by sitting down, hanging the gun between you legs pointed at teh floor, then messing around with dry fire. Standing dry fire with shot plan is just too distracting and inefficient a way for you to finesse your trigger feel. You can dry fire hundreds of times with pure concentration on the trigger seated; you can maybe dry fire 30 times standing before you get tired/bored/lose focus
personally speaking, sitting down dry firing is a really good form of training. it allows you to observe your wrist, to see whether its trembling when you are holding the gun. this way, it allows you to know whether your sight "unalignment" are cause by movement in your arm or your wrist. it is a good practice for wrist-locking, and is much less tiring.
.donthc

Post by .donthc »

regarding trigger control, i think the probem of "chicken finger" is VERY VERY serious.

it is very often that i have perfect alignment, but the only thiing lacking is my apparent fear of pulling the trigger, which i find highly frustrating.

whenever i am struck with "chicken finger" during comp, i usually abort the shot. following that, i do a series of rapid dry firing(not even holding the gun up). with the gun still on the table top, i cock the dry firing mechanism, and pull trigger. cock and pull, cock and pull, for around ten times, before i re-attempt the shot again. this partly help to calm me now and temporary overcome the 'chicken finger'.

however, i will start having the same problem a short while later into the comp.

any tips to fix this problem? does shooting faster helps?
jackh

Post by jackh »

I think of align, aim, and press, as 3 things converging into one.

The common denominator to all the actions is seeing them or their result in the sight. Eye on sight. The mind reads sight data input and processes a program based on previous training programming. The trick is to fool your hand into polishing the aim, alignment, and press with one signal from the mind. More than one signal will always be conflicting.

Hey. I'm makig agout as mush shense as the rest ob yous guys.
Chris

Post by Chris »

.donthc

Could you being trying to make your sight picture too perfect and this is why you have trouble pulling the trigger? You could be overthinking it. Focus on the sights and let your finger do the rest. This happens to me to when I abort a shot. The few times I abort a shot I rarely get the shot off the second try. I almost always takes the 3rd effort.

It may not work for everyone but I shoot air pistol in about 45-55 mins. My PR was shot in under 45 mins on the 4 bull target where I had to reel the target back every 12 shots. If I had been using an electronic target I am sure I would have been done in under 40 mins. Shot a 583.

For me shooting fast does not allow my mind to wonder as much and I tend to stay in the moment better.

I would try some exercises where you work on shooting at a fast pace. Give your self 8 mins to shoot 8 shots. Use 1 bull to shoot your 10 shots. DO NOT score the target. This is why I would recommend you do not shoot 10 shots. you can shoot more if you want. 19 in 19. If you try to shoot 10 or 20 shots you will end up scoring it and then you will see your chicken finger coming back. You can also cut out the 9 ring from a target and shoot for certian time period. Remember it is not a race, you need to focus on the basics (front sight) and your finger will do the rest.