Stolen Guns

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Stolen Guns

Post by Guest »

10/11/2006

SCTP Friends and Family,

It comes with a heavy spirit that I have to forward this to the Scholastic Clay Target Teams and friends around the Country. On October 4th two Tennessee teams from Dyersburg and McKenzie were preparing to leave for Colorado Springs for the first ever SCTP International Trap Shooting Championships. The two teams and 5 coaches had combined their equipment and guns, and sent them ahead the day before via personal ground transport. On the morning of October 4th the Coaches had pulled into their hotel in Oklahoma City for a short stop. The Ford Excursion was loaded front to back including camera equipment that was on loan from the Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency to document the event. The FBI estimated that the Ford Excursion full of guns and gear was stolen within the first 35 minutes at the hotel.

Needless to say the teams were devastated. But in the spirit of competition the parents and teammates were determined not to let the criminals win. So the teams traveled to Colorado Springs to compete. The response was overwhelming! Beretta sent three loner shotguns and the Petersons from Michigan brought three of their own personal guns to help the kids. Once at the Olympic Training Center, the news spread and shotguns were being offered by all who attended. The young athletes still in shock struggled to compete. Many of the kids changed guns three and four times, without finding a fit. Scores were low, and several times kids left the field in tears, but continued to fight each and every round.

Needless to say, I have personally broken down almost daily as my daughter and I were also victims of this crime. The parents have learned a hard lesson. For the most part, over half of athletes were new to the program this year and the parents were unaware of the need for additional insurance. As it stands the homeowners policies and car insurance will not cover the loss. In all, the two teams and coaches lost a current total of $120,000.00 in guns and gear (not including the TWRA camera equipment). That total is still rising as personal items are being added as discovered missing. Luckily the excursion was recovered, but almost all the gear was gone.

We have set up an account called the “Trap Team Lost Gun Fund” we are asking for help and donations from all. We do not expect much but are asking for $5 to $10 dollars or as much as you like to help the kids and coaches get back on their feet. Below you will find the information to either mail checks made out to the fund above or the bank account wiring instructions.

Thanks to all those who helped the teams to compete, and thank you to those who can see it in their hearts to help them out in their time of need. Let’s show these kids how much they mean to our heritage and the sport!

Yours truly,
John W. Wells Jr.
Tennessee SCTP State Trap Advisor
731-285-4425

Post by Guest »

How about posting a list of makes, models and serial numbers here?

I lost my ISSF pistols to the baggage handlers at LAX in 1999. I know what it's like. Fortunately we were homeward bound so at least got to shoot the comps. And we had adequate insurance.
streamdreams

Re: Stolen Guns

Post by streamdreams »

Anonymous wrote:10/11/2006

We have set up an account called the “Trap Team Lost Gun Fund” we are asking for help and donations from all. We do not expect much but are asking for $5 to $10 dollars or as much as you like to help the kids and coaches get back on their feet. Below you will find the information to either mail checks made out to the fund above or the bank account wiring instructions.

Yours truly,
John W. Wells Jr.
Tennessee SCTP State Trap Advisor
731-285-4425
If you set something up on paypal the people donate easly especialy from overseas

SD