Mental Training Tips Desperately Needed!

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

Steve,

now thats funny, I don't care who you are.

coincedentally enough I was getting some e-mails from the wannabe wizzard last week, full of things that could easily be baited upon. But lo, my live is too short, and I have had my hands in deep in the belly of that tar baby before, and this Brer Fox has learned that lesson.

But if your really bored Colin I can forward them too you.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Skinnerizing is, thankfully, an acquired taste.

The first sip isn't bad but the aftertaste kills ya.

The problem, as Scott alluded to, is that lag time between when everyone has a go and everyone gets fed up can be a real flurry of wasted time and effort . . .

Steve Swartz
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

this thread has been saved for posterity along with other useful shooter info here.
http://www.pilkguns.com/coachindx.shtml
Cameilla

Post by Cameilla »

My $0.02 on mental training include reading The Inner Game of Tennis and doing yoga. I am thoroughly suprised that more shooters don't do yoga because the two actually have a lot in common if you can take a good class. Combining yoga with some simple meditation can help you learn to calm your mind. Something both of these focus on is breath which can be very calming in stressful situations. I don't claim to be an expert in any of the fields above, but the yoga and meditation make it so that I shoot exactly the same if not better in matches as opposed to training. It also makes me feel good which is another bonus.
Elmas

Post by Elmas »

Cameilla wrote:My $0.02 on mental training

. I am thoroughly suprised that more shooters don't do yoga because the two actually have a lot in common if you can take a good class.

Combining yoga with some simple meditation can help you learn to calm your mind. Something both of these focus on is breath which can be very calming in stressful situations. .

Actually , Pistol shooters have a Yoga position : Standing with feet comfortably apart , one arm outstretched and the thumb of the other hand tucked in the waistband keeping the mind clear and the attention focussed with breath control.

Elmas

Training

the crazy ones on this list.

Post by Training »

I just completed transmitting some very good information that is medical compliant for shooters. I woulds guess this is what you call black maj but then again those who use it will be in the gold while others are still messing around in the never never land.

If you would work as hard at your shooting as you do slandering and ridiculing me, you could be in the gold also...!

Chet Skinner, Coach
david A.

nerves

Post by david A. »

im a very hyper person , my one drawback to being a great shooter., my blood prussure and nerveswill go crazy before a big shoot, or any shoot, even when i know i cant lose, its a prussure i put on myself, i basicly practice it. thats how i ve almost controlled it. i have become comfortable with the situation. im still going nuts that first shot but i have learned to live with it, and it goes away alot quicker now. also i no longer look at my shots or targets until a match is done, its already too late too make corrections whenever a shooter ask me how to get better i say practice more, its all in COMFORT your comfort level, i now know what i shoot in practice and what i shot in a match im content with that,but when see my scores during a match, a bad shoot or two, or a string of tens in a row, then its like i have too start all over again and i lose that comfort level. my first try at this i hope it makes a little sense
David Levene

Re: the crazy ones on this list.

Post by David Levene »

Training wrote:If you would work as hard at your shooting as you do slandering and ridiculing me, you could be in the gold also...!
Chet

Isn't it strange that in all the years we have sufferred your advice I cannot remember any top shooter actually admitting that they had followed your teachings. All that we seem to have had has been about mythical un-named shooters.

When anybody writes as much as you there will obviously be tiny snippets of fact. Nobody can get it totally wrong all of the time, the laws of chance are massively against it.

You mention having just transmitted some good information that is "medical compliant". Is it your own work or another plagiarized piece.

I am only responding to your post in the hope of warning others who haven't been exposed to your methods in the past.

The moderator of this forum has already made it perfectly clear that you are not welcome. Why don't you just stick to "planet Chet". If your methods are half as successful as you claim then word-of-mouth will lead shooters to visit you, instead of you forcing yourself on them.
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

Returning to the question raised in this thread. I have read through a book recommended by our forum hosts a couple of times. It contains much that I have seen before and some new stuff; distilled together and well presented. Hope this is constructive for you.

TargetTalk link to thread viewtopic.php?t=13726

MENTAL TRAINING IN SHOOTING by Anne Grethe Jeppeseen, Norway Olympic coach & elite shooter & wife of Harald Steenvag.
Elmas

Post by Elmas »

PaulT wrote:Returning to the question raised in this thread. I have read through a book recommended by our forum hosts a couple of times. It contains much that I have seen before and some new stuff; distilled together and well presented. Hope this is constructive for you.

TargetTalk link to thread viewtopic.php?t=13726

MENTAL TRAINING IN SHOOTING by Anne Grethe Jeppeseen, Norway Olympic coach & elite shooter & wife of Harald Steenvag.
On this subject, I have often wondered : Has anyone ever gone into a Competition ( AP and FP ) really REALLY believing he could score 600/600 ?

I think not really believing you could do it is a serious 'mental' hurdle to accomplishing this 'theoretically possible' but 'practically seemingly impossible' goal .

(( same as scoring Eighteen consecutive 'hole in one's' in a Golf Tournament ))

Elmas

Post by Guest »

if the rifle people can do it so can pistol shooters.
Elmas

Post by Elmas »

Anonymous wrote:if the rifle people can do it so can pistol shooters.

You really think so ??

Free Pistol has been an Olympic Sport from the outset...

The rules have changed little ( originally the time set was 24hrs ).

The pistols have improved considerably .

The World Record has climbed steadily.

But whoever put the International Precision Target at 50 metres has left very , very little room for error
An 0.05 degree deflection of the sights will , at 50M get the shot out of the nine ring !

The match is really One Shot... repeated successfully sixty times to prove it wasnt a fluke and could be reproduced at will.

So far , no one has managed to duplicate his perfect ten sixty times..

One possible reason being that no one, to date , believes he could ??

Elmas

mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Elmas wrote: The match is really One Shot... repeated successfully sixty times to prove it wasnt a fluke and could be reproduced at will.

So far , no one has managed to duplicate his perfect ten sixty times..

One possible reason being that no one, to date , believes he could ??

Elmas
Yep, one shot, see how you did, make necessary corrections, one shot, repeat. The whole problem is stamina, both Mental and Physical. This is one thing that made me pick pistol to compete in, no perfect scores. Good is still 93% (whatever NRA Expert rating is), and great still isn't perfect. No shoot off's like in Trap Shooting.

Bull Durham is also a good movie to watch, the pitcher is thinking too much trying to pitch a perfect game. Costner "gives" the next batter a home run to make him quit thinking.

Mike
Wichita KS
England

Chet Skinner

Post by England »

Hi Chet,

I’ve been thinking about what you said in your last email about Basham and Woody and their campaign against you and I want to share my thoughts with you.

Basham belittles your work and attacks you personally for one reason only; YOU are a threat to him. If he is honest with himself he would admit that your work is a superior method in achieving world class shooting performance than his “leave a post it note on every available surface telling you that you’re great and just let it happen” approach. He has his world and Olympic medals and he is going to earn every dollar he can off the back of them. To agree with you would put him out of business. To attack you the way he does is disrespectful and very ungentlemanly.

Woody on the other hand – Well I wouldn’t mind betting that if you kicked Basham in the backside you’d catch Woody on the back of the head.

So, chin up, be proud of what you have achieved and the help you’ve given others and forget Basham et al.

Regards,

Mike
England

Chet Skinner

Post by England »

Hi Chet,

I’ve been thinking about what you said in your last email about Basham and Woody and their campaign against you and I want to share my thoughts with you.

Basham belittles your work and attacks you personally for one reason only; YOU are a threat to him. If he is honest with himself he would admit that your work is a superior method in achieving world class shooting performance than his “leave a post it note on every available surface telling you that you’re great and just let it happen” approach. He has his world and Olympic medals and he is going to earn every dollar he can off the back of them. To agree with you would put him out of business. To attack you the way he does is disrespectful and very ungentlemanly.

Woody on the other hand – Well I wouldn’t mind betting that if you kicked Basham in the backside you’d catch Woody on the back of the head.

So, chin up, be proud of what you have achieved and the help you’ve given others and forget Basham et al.

Regards,

Mike
David Levene

Re: Chet Skinner

Post by David Levene »

England wrote:Hi Chet,

Blah blah blah etc
Another anonymous poster praising Chet. Are we supposed to be impressed?
jackh

interpreting Coach Chet and others

Post by jackh »

I responded to Coach Chet and quickly recieved a set of information on shooting 10's and x's. Like articles and books written by most other shooting authors, buried in their writings are a paragraph or two that are very and clearly helpful. So thank you Coach Chet and others who have provided helpful hints within many words that I can boil down and see and use that which is left over and meaningful to me.
Wizard

mental game

Post by Wizard »

I have read your posts and find you would rather ridcule something then trying to learn from it. The human system takes one second to accomplish any changes or implementing change instructions. This is the designed nature of our human system. However, shooters feel they can change this and do it their way but mother nature will never allow them to succeed. Take the last message from a Doctor on hypoxia, it starded by telling you what you wanted to hear then filled in with some research results that was incomplete and had little to do with the shooting technique and then to keep himself out of criminal danger he restated what I had entered in my messages on hypoxia. He did this in bold type so he would be legally clear. And, what was your reaction?

The Doctror also answered Ross from NZ and gave Ross incorrect information because he was totally ignorant of the eye blanking and the faliure to understand it is the eidetic image that the athlete is seeing and image burning in the visual cortex instead of external sensed objects.

The Doctor has fooled you all took it hook line and sinker.
Wizard

mental game

Post by Wizard »

I have read your posts and find you would rather ridcule something then trying to learn from it. The human system takes one second to accomplish any changes or implementing change instructions. This is the designed nature of our human system. However, shooters feel they can change this and do it their way but mother nature will never allow them to succeed. Take the last message from a Doctor on hypoxia, it starded by telling you what you wanted to hear then filled in with some research results that was incomplete and had little to do with the shooting technique and then to keep himself out of criminal danger he restated what I had entered in my messages on hypoxia. He did this in bold type so he would be legally clear. And, what was your reaction?

The Doctror also answered Ross from NZ and gave Ross incorrect information because he was totally ignorant of the eye blanking and the faliure to understand it is the eidetic image that the athlete is seeing and image burning in the visual cortex instead of external sensed objects.

The Doctor has fooled you all took it hook line and sinker.
Fred Mannis

Re: interpreting Coach Chet and others

Post by Fred Mannis »

jackh wrote:I responded to Coach Chet and quickly recieved a set of information on shooting 10's and x's. Like articles and books written by most other shooting authors, buried in their writings are a paragraph or two that are very and clearly helpful. So thank you Coach Chet and others who have provided helpful hints within many words that I can boil down and see and use that which is left over and meaningful to me.
Jack,
I enjoy reading your comments and insights on shooting. You are an experienced shooter, willing to take the time to sort thru the BS provided by Chet to find a nugget you can use. The problem is all the inexperienced shooters reading that stuff and believing it. When I got back into shooting a few years ago I made the mistake of spending $30 on Chet's The Shooter's Personal Coach - Always On Call. Took me some time - wasted time - to find the nuggets. Finally threw the book away.
Fred