SBR for Daughter - Choices, Choices

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

jhmartin

SBR for Daughter - Choices, Choices

Post by jhmartin »

I'm looking at purchasing a smallbore for my daughter ... she currently shoots an Anschutz 2002 CA ALU in precision air ... mid 570's in 3-P, hi-380's INTL

She's entering her freshman year in HS and I want something that can take her thru college if she sticks with it.

I've pretty much "narrowed down" (hah!) to 4 rifles and wanted some advice/comments on these .... more than "This is a good gun" type.

If you shoot / have fired one of these please tell why you like it or didn't like it .... How I'm "leaning"

1) Anschutz 1912 "sport"
2) Anschutz 1913 "super-match"
3) Walther KK300
4) Feinwerkbau P2700

Thx

Post by Guest »

I have the 1912 Sport rifle but I now use the 1913. I only shoot prone.

My younger son uses my 1912 now, and he does quite well with it in prone and 3-P.

If you're NOT going to go for the Alu stock, the 1912 stock with the 1907 action is probably the way to go.

I have handled (not shot) the Alu FWB2700 and it's very nice, but they are hard to find in the USA. I think this would make a very fine prone gun as the forend is narrow and rounded.

The 1913 is too big for a younger lady, in my opinion. That big ole 1913 barrel is very heavy. But, if a guy were to have the gun re-barreled with the 500mm barrel, that would bring it closer to a "best" weight for a youngster.

I have not handled the Wather, but Mac Tilton likes their alu stocked gun, and he's a guy to listen to.

I havn't seen any AGH 2012s (500mm barrel) for sale lately, but those are very popular with the collegiate women shooters.

Good luck.

MGT

Post by Guest »

Having shot all of the guns listed I will start at the top.

1)Anschutz 1912 "sport" A nice rifle but I don't think it will get her to college its more of a intermediate rifle.

2) Anschutz 1913 "super-match" I love this rifle it has a smooth trigger but you may want to get a blop for it . Alu stock or wood? I would go with the alu stock it fits the girls better. There is a good chance that the wood stock is going to be a bit big.

3)Walther KK300 its a great gun but I don't know if I could recommended
it over the 1913.

4)Feinwerkbau P2700 Is a vary big rifle and the trigger is not the best. (When you pull the trigger and it fires you can keep pulling on it after the shot. Its not the best trigger but a good rifle nevertheless.

In the end I whould go with the 1913 alu stock. My 2 cents.
seemehaha

Post by seemehaha »

Anonymous wrote: 1)Anschutz 1912 "sport" A nice rifle but I don't think it will get her to college its more of a intermediate rifle.
i actually got an anschutz 1912 "sport" my freshman year of high school and i'm still shooting it entering my junior year of college. this is what i have and am thinking of (opposed to the sport rifles that have rubber buttplates instead of butthooks).
anyways, i absolutely love my rifle and most girls stick with the xx12 series just because they are lighter. i suggest asking your daughter what she likes the best because even something as stupid as not liking the looks of her rifle can affect how she shoots it.
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

I agree with the previous post. When my daughter was ready to step up from the Anschutz 64, we bought a 1907 that she used for about three years. We replaced the stock with a 1912 stock, and it's working fine for her in college. Aside from the weight, the differences between the xx12 stocks and the xx13 stocks are not that significant, from a performance perspective.
seemehaha

Post by seemehaha »

well JohnD if you are who i think you are, i must say that your daughter has shot some pretty impressive scores in the mid to high 580's with that very rifle. i definitely wouldn't call it an intermediate rifle.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

i actually got an anschutz 1912 "sport" my freshman year of high school and i'm still shooting it entering my junior year of college.
OK, sounds like I'm on the right track.
I'm looking at the Universal sight set.
My daughter currently shoots w/ offset blocks.
Should I look into those as well .... what about sight extension tubes?

Finally, since we shoot outdoors most of the time here in NM, I've been advised to stick with the wood stock ... comments there?

Note: She and I had originally made a deal that if she pulled straight A's this first set of HS classes, I'd pay half of a 1903. She borrowed one last year to shoot and now wants something geared more for the long term.

Post by Guest »

All the guns you listed are good guns and all of them shoot just as well as the next one. About the best thing you can do is have her hold the different rifles and see which one she likes best. Sight extension tubes are supposed to help I ordered one from Bill Earnest of Earnest shooting supplies. If you have a question about sights or blocks ask him his number is (570)-797-4872. He really knows what hes talking about and if you need them he makes custom blocks for whatever gun sight combination you have. His prices are cheap for good quality parts and his main concern is to help the shooter. But thats just my .02 cents
seemehaha

Post by seemehaha »

jhmartin wrote:My daughter currently shoots w/ offset blocks.
Should I look into those as well .... what about sight extension tubes?
honestly i'm ignorant here since i use neither. most of the people i see with extension tubes have shorter barrels. i got the standard length so...i dunno. does she use offset blocks because she can't adjust the cheek piece of the rifle she's using now? if so, i suggest trying the rifle as is and moving the cheek piece to line her eye up, but if the gun she's using now has an adjustible cheek piece, then go for the offsets.

on a side note: glad to see grades are important, i get the majority of my scholarship from grades not shooting. just something to keep in mind.

Post by Guest »

Hi, I'm a small, female prone and 3P shooter. I use a 1912. Looking down the firing line at the World Champs in Zagreb last week, I noticed quite a few 1912s and 2012s in use. I also hold the opinion that it is not an intermediate rifle, and would suggest that those girls and ladies also using them in Zagreb would probably agree with this opinion.
I have also shot a FWB2602, which after a few years of trying to get it to work for me, I gave up with and bought my 1912. Haven't looked back since. I don't know how similar the 2602 is to the 2700 though, but the problems I had with the FWB was the weight (wasn't doing my back any favours in standing), and the length of the stock. With the best prone position I found I could only just reach the breech to load, and my standing position was laughable. Kneeling wasn't good either, but then I haven't got the hang of kneeling yet...
Look for a rifle that fits your daughter, don't be dazzled by shiny new kit.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:I don't know how similar the 2602 is to the 2700 though, but the problems I had with the FWB was [...] the length of the stock.
Sorry, completely forgot to add that I also had a chance to poke around with whatever alu Walther stock was around at the time of deciding which rifle to buy instead of the FWB. I discovered that the Walther was in fact longer than the FWB with the supplied MEC buttplate on the Walter. Without buttplates, the Walther was shorter.
With and without buttplates, the Anschutz 1912 was shorter than both.
TWP

Post by TWP »

Not to add to your confusion,

But a couple of other options.

1907 barreled action in a 1913 stock.

1907 in a Walther Aluminum stock.