4 BOLT TORQUE

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

4 BOLT TORQUE

Post by Guest »

Would somebody be able to explain the art of setting the torque screws of a 2013 four bolt? First do you set-up the four bolts at let’s say 18 inch pounds, shoot some groups, then what?
TargetShootingShop.com

Post by TargetShootingShop.com »

Torque settings will vary between ammo brand used and ammo batch used, you will get a fairly consitant setting if you only use one brand of ammo e.g. Tenex or Lapua Master/Midas. My torque wrench is in Nm and my setting in an alu stock is 6.5Nm I think the wooden stock square actions are a bit lower, about 5Nm is average of the ones I know at my club.

You would be able to find a converter online for Ft/lb I'm sure

I usually start at about 4Nm and work my way up, shooting groups at a max 0.5Nm intervals is the only way to do it, takes time and patience but will tighten up the groups.

If you use a rim thickness gauge that will help keep your ammo constant too, I batch my already batched and tested ammo into rim thickness and shoot all the same thicknesses together. When its done I move to the next rim thickness and so on, keep the ammo very consistent to each card/session.

Post by Guest »

Thank you TargetShootingShop.com. So you would set all four bolts to 6.5Nm and shoot five rounds, increase torque to .5Nm for all four bolts and keep doing this until your group shrinks?
Juan Carlos*

For ordinary people

Post by Juan Carlos* »

I own a 2013 wooden stock with 4,65 Nm torque.
That works perfectly with Eley Tenex , Lapua Midas and Club and others. I do not change the torque when changing ammunition. That is for perfectionists like TargetShootingShop.com
TargetShootingShop.com

Start at about 4Nm and increase 0.2Nm upwards until correct setting is found. Make sue you tightne all screws a little at a time, don't tightne one to full torque then do the next one, tighten them a little each time.
TargetShootingShop.com

Re: For ordinary people

Juan Carlos* wrote:I own a 2013 wooden stock with 4,65 Nm torque.
That works perfectly with Eley Tenex , Lapua Midas and Club and others. I do not change the torque when changing ammunition. That is for perfectionists like TargetShootingShop.com
To be fair the difference between ammo batches is quite small but between brands I have found a lot of difference, I only do my testing perhaps twice a year if I have to change ammo, I try and have enough of one brand / one batch to last a long time.