Best Hand Pump?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jlochey

Best Hand Pump?

Post by jlochey »

Group,

I have read many comments on this forum about the different brands/kinds of hand pumps.

I have no experience with the different hand pump brands. But none of the 3 (?) out there seem to stand above the others.

I'll be buying one in the next 2 weeks.

Any guidance on picking one?

Thanks,

John
James

Post by James »

The hill pump is generally regarded as the more robust one.
jrmcdaniel

Post by jrmcdaniel »

I have an FX and like it but rarely use it. For the difference in price between a tank and the pump, I would recommend the tank as long as you can get it refilled inexpensively. A tank with fill adapter is probably about $300 new and will provide a lot of fills for typical target guns.

For the best deals in tanks, go to http://www.airhog.com. You may find cheaper tanks and fill gear on the web but Airhog is very knowledgeable and fairly priced.

Best,

Joe
Nicole Hamilton

Post by Nicole Hamilton »

I have a Gehmann hand pump which I bought from our host, Pilkguns. It appears well-made, works reliably and I've been quite satisfied with it, though I admit I don't have experience with any other brands so to allow a comparison. My only criticism is that the pressure gauge is down near the floor, where the cylinder attaches, which makes it a bit hard for me read at my age; I'd prefer a gauge mounted near the top of the pump, like the one that came on a bicycle pump I recently bought.

But pumping is a fair amount of work, so, like Joe, I also bought and recommend a SCUBA tank. As a result, I only use the pump just to "top off" a cylinder when I've let the pressure in my SCUBA tank fall a bit low and haven't been back to the dive shop to get it refilled. The other advantage of SCUBA air is that it's very dry. Hand pumps have a valve for blowing out any moisture when you're filling, but I'm not sure anyone believes the result is as dry as you get from SCUBA.
James

Post by James »

For target pistols, pumping is very easy.

Maybe about 30 strokes from 50 to 200 bar, and thats with a high capacity cylinder like on the kite (200 shots)
GaryBF

Best Hand Pump

Post by GaryBF »

John,
I have owned a Hill pump for about three months. It seems to be a well made, quality piece of equipment. Like Nicole, I have no basis for comparison, however, never having seen any other brand. Based on my sample of one, I was surprised at the effort required to fill a small air cylinder; it is not like filling a bicycle tire! After a few fills you do develop a technique, but I take exception to James comment that it is “very easy”. I am six feet tall, 185 lbs, and find the effort required to pump from 150 bar to 200 bar to be significant. I have to thrust my upper body weight onto the pump handle to compress the air in the pump chamber. Perhaps my pump isn’t working right-I don’t know. But at least one other shooter complained here about his similar difficulty. This is not intended to be a critcism of the Hill pump-just a report of my experience.
James

Post by James »

The hill pump is slightly harder to pump then the FX/axsor/etc pump, but it takes slightly fewer strokes.

I'm 5'8 and 127 lbs and pumping the FX pump dosnt even raise my heart rate and "easy" in my opinion. It gets easier as you use it more. I lean my weight into the pump and push down with both arms, so your body weight, is added to the force you push.

I pump up my rifles which take 100-125 strokes though, so I guess im more used to the effort.

You need to weigh about 125 lbs to pump the FX pump, any less and you'll have to use significant muscle to pump.

Post by Guest »

The Hill pump is a little taller than the other pumps. Thus, the effort per pump is a tad greater and the number of strokes slightly less.

There is an air removal system add on available for the Hill which I think is a good additional investment. The water removal systems on scuba tank compressors are very sophisticated and are better at removing water, but I think the combination of the Hill system plus the water discharge is quite effective.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I use a Hill pump and pump to 250 bar and whilst it takes a bit of effort anything from about 180 bar is down to technique rather than brute strength.

Bend your knees and you will put all of your body weight behind it not just your upper body.

I prefer a pump to a tank as there is no worries about pressure dropping over time, but I am a bit concerned about moisture and only pump one cylinder at a time without letting the pump get warm.

I have the moisture removing attachement for my Hill pump but I am dubious about its performance

Regards

Mikey
Nicole Hamilton

Post by Nicole Hamilton »

Mikey wrote:I prefer a pump to a tank as there is no worries about pressure dropping over time ...
That's why they make gauges! Unless you do a whole lot more shooting than most people, getting a SCUBA tank refilled is only a once or twice-a-year affair. If you're a little overdue for a refill, you let the tank do most of the work, then "top off" with the hand pump.
bubba_zenetti

Post by bubba_zenetti »

i have the hill pump with the dry pack myself. i would rather have the pump over the scuba setup as it is easy to take anywhere and you do not have to worry about getting refiills for your tank. you cant take a scuba tank on an airplane unless it is empty. it is a workout getting it up past 200 bar as the higher the pressure climbs, the harder you must push on the pump. but hey, its good for your arms!

the only downfall to the pump is having your cylinder on the ground where it may get scratched. a towel or rubber pad is a must.

my hill pump is sold under the bsa name. thank god their pumps are better than their motorcycles *lol*
iow

Post by iow »

Get yourself a Hill pump from our host like i did , they're a great piece of English craftsmanship and are built to last.

Len

PS ..... I'd rather have a BSA than a Harley any day !
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I have an Axsor which works great too (use scuba mostly, use it only to top off when low or as a back-up and traveler). Really there air pumps not rocket science so it's not like there is a really big difference amoungst them.