Hammerli 208 info request

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
rolexrifleman

Hammerli 208 info request

Post by rolexrifleman »

I call upon the experts in this field for assistance.
I am looking into a Hammerli 208.

can anyone tell me the diffrent variations and what they would come with.
The one I am looking into is an International? It comes in a cardboard box with tools. is this the way it came from Hammerli?
what should I be looking for? If i am going to pay top dollar I would like to have everything it came with originaly.
Also what years were these manufactured?

thanks in advance for any and all help.

RR
RickP

Hammerli 208

Post by RickP »

Hi,

I have a Hammerli 208 International. It is one of the earlier models(serial number before 40335). the reason I mention the serial # is because that is where the differences exist.

If I am not mistaken, the 208 International (serial #'s up to 40335) had triggers that are adjustable for trigger weight and backlash. The 208's produced from s/n#40335 have triggers that are adjustable for trigger weight, 1st stage weight, 1st stage travel, and 2nd stage travel. I believe everything else is the same (interchangable front sights, rear sight assembly, internals, etc.).

The 208s is the next model in the series. According to Larry Carter (Larry's Guns of Maine - the Hammerli GURU!) the 208s is basically the same as the earlier 208's except for the addition of a sliding trigger shoe and squared trigger guard. Certain 208 International pistols can be converted to the 208s trigger by Larry but I am not sure which ones these would be.

As for the box and accessories, I couldn't give you a specific response as the 208 I purchased had no box. Just the pistol and 2 magazines. I do have an early model Hammerli 280 and this has the original red cardboard box with the metal reinforcements on it corners. The pistol sits on grey soft foam with appropriate cutout for the pistol and an accessory case. The tool kit is in a plastic (red with clear front) pouch. There is a manual, test target, and some Hammerli patches. I have seen some 208 Internationals for sale with all accessories and box and they were quite similar to my 280.

What to look for on the pistol? The main thing is to take off the left side grip panel and the slide. Follow the recoil spring back to where it stops in the frame. About an 1/8 of an inch back, and directly under the front of the ejector, look for any cracks (hair-line, etc.). This is the usual area where the frame could crack. I've never experienced this but I have seen photos on line. I can only speculate that it was due to high velocity ammo, weak spring, etc. take your pick. Usually the 208 is the pistol which all others are judged by. They are uncanily accurate, sit well in the hand, and, like all Hammerli's, have exceptional triggers. Mine was $1250 US and was just the pistol with two magazines. Probably wasn't the best price but they are difficult to find and I was looking for quite some time.

If you can, test fire the pistol with some good ammo, take it down and give it the once over. Parts are not a problem (call Larry!). If the gun is clean, go for it!

Hope this helped,

RickP
ChrisL

Re: Hammerli 208 info request

Post by ChrisL »

rolexrifleman wrote:It comes in a cardboard box with tools. is this the way it came from Hammerli?
RR
rolexrifleman wrote:I call upon the experts in this field for assistance.
I am looking into a Hammerli 208.

It comes in a cardboard box with tools. is this the way it came from Hammerli?
RR
I have recently bought a new 208s (built in 1996, but fired only for the test target and at the Belgian Test Bench), from a legacy.

It came in a blue carboard box, with a red plastic tool "wrapper", 2 mags, cleaning kit & the test target.

I swapped the original grip for a smaller one (can't stand those big grips), and love it to pieces...

Chris.