Proper grip and feel?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
darticus

Proper grip and feel?

Post by darticus »

Have an Steyr LP 10 and LP 1. How do you know if the pistol is adjusted for the right feel? How do you know if the grips adjustment is correct to point correctly in your hand.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

To establish "STANCE:"

Stand across from the target as if youl were going to fire.

Grip the pistol as you normally would.

Close your eyes and count to ten.

With eyes closed, point the pistol at the target.

Open your eyes.

Adjust your stance so that the pistol would have been pointing at the target with your eyes closed.

Repeat until when yoiu open your eyes the pistol is pointed at the target.

This is your "Natural Point of Aim." (establishing STANCE)

To establish "GRIP:"

Grip the gun as you normally would.

Align the sights perfectly and dry fire at a blank target.

Note the movement of the front sight immediately prior to and though sear release.

Move grip in hand so that there is no tendency of front sight to wander (displacement) immediately prior to release of the sear.

Move trigger finger on trigger so that there is no displacement of front sight during release.

You have established proper "GRIP."

Here's the hard part: Stance and Grip are inter-related; a change in one affects the other and vice versa. So you must go somewhat back and forth between the two until you find your sweet spot where a good grip and a good stance overlap.

Steve Swartz
Fred Mannis

Establishing Grip

Post by Fred Mannis »

Steve,
A proper grip results in
aligned sights when the gun is raised
no movement of the aligned sights as the trigger is activated

So I would suggest that prior to taking the the steps you list for establishing grip, that Darticus establish his NPA, grip the gun, close his eyes, raise the gun, open his eyes and note whether the sights are aligned. If not, then he can adjust the grip adjustment screws on his Steyr to produce aligned sights. Then move on to your procedure. If he needs to shift his grip on the stock to eliminate sight misalignment as a result of trigger activation, then he may well have to go back and change the grip adjustments screws to maintain sight alignment. As you say, this is an iterative process.

Almost forgot - the process may also require translating/rotating the trigger shoe! :-(

After a year of shooting my LP50 I thought I was 'fully' adjusted, but this week I noticed that my front sight has been twitching right on release. If this continues, I may have to make some adjustments. Ugh.

Fred
darticus

THANKS FRED AND STEVE

Post by darticus »

Boy you guys have gone out of your way to help! Tomorrow I will start to adjust the grip and look at the other factors. Wonder if i should stay to one gun LP 10 or LP 1 or work with both as I am pleased with both.Want to do it all today.Thanks