Walther GX-1 smallbore

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Swanie

Walther GX-1 smallbore

Post by Swanie »

Does anybody have any experience on the Walther GX-1 smallbore rifle, I have an opportunity to buy one for a very reasonable price but know very little about the history of this particular model, any comments?
Albert B

GX-1

Post by Albert B »

hello,
I still use the GX-1, it is aprox. 26 years old and has shot many 10 thousends of shots. It reamains accurate (best ever 599/600 prone indoor). Although not as many ways to be adjusted - like the modern type alu stocks - it has a fine trigger system. It can be fitted with the latest types of rearsights (I use an Elite rearsight and Anschutz rear- and frontsight).

Albert
(The Netherlands)
klenbore

Post by klenbore »

I shot a GX1 for 4-position for about 8 years. It was a very comfortable rifle to shoot, had good balance in off hand and a decent trigger. The bolt layout was weak as it only had one extractor and the design on the ejector wasn’t too good either. Many times it would not totally eject the spent cartridge and I had a world class competitor and gunsmith (Jack Foster) work on it. I finally got frustrated with it and sold it. That being said, I shot some of the best scores of my life with the GX1 and it was every bit as accurate as anything on the market. The stock design was better than an Anschutz for the time. I often wanted to find a shot out one just for the stock.

I would be a little hesitant to buy one now. Walther replacement parts were always somewhat hard to come by and I can only imagine non-existent now for a 25 - 30 year old GX1. What would happen if you broke a firing pin or have trigger problems? Just my 2 cents worth though.
44 Magnum

GX-1

Post by 44 Magnum »

I still shoot a GX-1 in 4p and 3p and it works great. The trigger on it is pretty nice. Its really comfortable and with the stabilizer it shoots great in off hand and kneeling. As far as the extractor goes I know the earlier models had a flawed extractor but Walther corrected it and in later models it works fine. Mine has a serial number in the 8 thousands and it will through the shell 3-4 firing points away. I dont think it would be real easy to find spare parts but there are a lot of places like neal j guns that could probably repair it in the event it breaks. But over all they are real good guns and I would probably get it.