Modifying the grips - alternatives...

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
VladB

Modifying the grips - alternatives...

Post by VladB »

I have a high grade set of grips on my Morini free pistol and can't make myself to modify the grips. Using some kind of adhesive material that won't mar the grips could be the answer. What do you guys use? Is there anything else that you'd recomend? Thank you!
Last edited by VladB on Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

A grip that doesn't fit is just a lump of dead tree.

Turn it into something useful, modify it to suit you.

I'm sorry but I consider the way my shooting equipment looks to be way down the order of importance. If it doesn't do its primary job properly then it gets modified or dumped.

Some may call me a Philistine, they may be right.
Axel

Post by Axel »

Indeed.

Btw, talking about looks, some Plastic Padding and lots of Dremeling will make the grip look like a real pistol grip. :-)
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I know the feeling but the first cut is the hardest and the benefits are having a grip that fits nicely.

You can always buy another grip.

Mikey
top end

Post by top end »

I saw a bunch of Malaysian shooters at the Arafura Games with their grips full of Silastic (all old Walther GSP's). I tried it on my Morini AP - it works great, sticks to the timber well AND comes off when needed with no residue left on the grip.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

top end wrote:I saw a bunch of Malaysian shooters at the Arafura Games with their grips full of Silastic (all old Walther GSP's). I tried it on my Morini AP - it works great, sticks to the timber well AND comes off when needed with no residue left on the grip.
In the U.S. I believe it is called PlayDough and can be found in the Childrens' Toys section of stores like Target, Walmart, etc. I don't care for it as a permanent mod, but it is great for trying different things like changing horizontal and/or vertical angles.
James Hurr

Grips

Post by James Hurr »

There is the world famous Morini grip paste.

Otherwise car body filler, the flexible type. If you're lucky it will peel off oiled wood, which could be a disadvantage.

If you won't modify the Morinis, and I wouldn't, either get a third party set like KN or get some made.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I'm with David on this, if you want a pretty set of grips then great, but don't expect to shoot the gun optimally. Grips are a functional tool and nothing more (IMHO). All my grips have been hacked about and built up so that they fit me. At the end of the day I want to shoot my best scores and that just ain't possible with off the shelf grips.

Rob.
jrmcdaniel

Elmer's Wood Putty

Post by jrmcdaniel »

Wood putties (and several companies make them) works great for me. It seems to stick well-enough, dries fairly quickly, is non-toxic (no fumes), easy to clean-up, and is very soft so you can almost reshape dried with a fingernail (but a knife or rasp if faster).

I don a vinyl glove, spray some WD-40 on it (release agent but not really mandatory), put a glob of putty on the grip in roughly the right areas, grip the gun and shape the putty to my hand, remove hand (you may need to do some molding with your finger at this point), let dry, smooth a bit with sandpaper, file, fingernail, etc. and shoot.

I finish with a coat of stain and penetrating finish (Minwax is my favorite). Not pretty, but very functional.

Joe
VladB

Post by VladB »

I couldn't find a source of Silastic in US. I did find some information about it:

http://implants.clic.net/tony/Blais/046.html. It seems that the name: "Silastic" is used to generalize awhole group of products similarly how we call napkin tissue a "Kleenex" or copy a "Xerox" copy.

Do you happen to know a source for Silastic?
top end wrote:I saw a bunch of Malaysian shooters at the Arafura Games with their grips full of Silastic (all old Walther GSP's). I tried it on my Morini AP - it works great, sticks to the timber well AND comes off when needed with no residue left on the grip.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

I couldn't find a source of Silastic in US. I did find some information about it:

Do you happen to know a source for Silastic?
This will come as bad news for Dow Corning...

Try www.dowcorning.com/
F. Paul in Denver

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

I've successfully used Play Dough on all my grips before making any permanent modifications. It's alot easier to talk yourself into making the modifications once you experience how well the grips can really fit your hand.

"The first cut is the deepest." Sheryl Crow

F. Paul in Denver

Post by Guest »

silastic =silicone rubber/ used as automotive gasket sealant

Post by Guest »

F. Paul in Denver wrote: "The first cut is the deepest." Sheryl Crow

F. Paul in Denver
Not sure she was first!! Rod Stewart?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Anonymous wrote:
F. Paul in Denver wrote: "The first cut is the deepest." Sheryl Crow

F. Paul in Denver
Not sure she was first!! Rod Stewart?
No, written by Cat Stevens for PP Arnold. (I didn't know this was a music forum as well). IMHO the Cat Stevens version is by far the best.
rick lee

Post by rick lee »

i have seen people using epoxy too its slightly on the heavy side but it does help bring the cg rearwards if you use more. it does smell quite bad though for a while.