Entry Level Adult Rifle

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

coffeyhj

Entry Level Adult Rifle

Post by coffeyhj »

I have -just started 10 M air pistol shooting and am enjoying it very much. I use to shoot air rifles as kid (I am now 50+) and have been looking for an entry level precision air rifle as well

I noticed that both Crosman and Daisy (Avanti) make target rifles-- Crosman Challengar 2000 Avanti 853--that seemed designed for beginer to intermediate shooting. While clearly not up to even the specs of a Tau 200, is their any specific reason not to start here?

At somepoint I realize I will need to move up the price scale, but I would like to begin with somthing in the $350 price point.

Thank you
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

From what I have seen of the daisy's and crossmans I'd save for at least a Tau. The Tau's are pretty good. Even better would be to buy one of the fwb 300's or an Anchutz 250 if you could get one for $350 for $400. Pilkington's had some. Really, what is best is to save some more still and buy an old fwb 600 or 601 or an anschutz 2002 single stroke. These are excellent top of the line guns that have been left behind. The fwb 600 was the one that I started with, it was obsolete at the time, and it was really a wonderful gun.
GuestIt

Get the FWB 600

Post by GuestIt »

I agreed with pdeal. The FWB 600 is the easiest pnuematic air rifle I ever cocked, not to mentioned that it can still compete in the world championship level. If you wish to sell it, you can get most if not all your money back, cannot be said about the Daisy airgun. The older FWB airguns like this one is made to last almost forever (except or the seals). If you don't like to cock, than get a FWB C60. DOn't worry about this CO2 gun, FWB manual said, accuracy is guarantee when ambient temperature swing from 41F to 86F.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

If you are looking at the limit in the $350 Price range, in the July/August timeframe Daisy will have the 887 on the Market.

It is a Daisy 888 with a 753 stock. With a small amount of trigger work it is capable of 280/300's easily. You're really only going to be able to get this trigger to a 1.5lb or so single stage.

When you look at the fill adapter, and maybe an extra tank you are now in your price range.

If you get to the point you want to spend over $500, you'll always be able to sell the Daisy to a 4-H club/shooter or a JROTC program ... heck, be nice and take advantage of the 4-H 501c(3) status and donate it for a charitable donation.

Last year I could not wait for the new 887 so I overmolded an 888 stock ... if you want to see what an 887 stock will look like (but in wood) see:
http://www.vc4hss.com/_Coaches/888_Over ... ermold.htm
Guestit

Thanks

Post by Guestit »

jhmartin,

Thanks for sharing that link with us. I enjoyed it.