Balance in standing position

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

hardhit

Balance in standing position

Post by hardhit »

Hi All,

I currently shoot in the air rifle discipline and the problem that I have is to keep my balance the height is ok but the left and right swaying is not undercontrol. I also have problems in finding the right position of my head compared to the iris of the Diopter.

Have you guy's got some tips ?
Atatched you find a score sheet of a match that I shot today.

Regards,
Attachments
Result.JPG
seemehaha

Post by seemehaha »

well there could be a couple of things you could try. first of all, your head should be able to rest comfortably on the cheek piece and still see through the sights. so you're going to need to adjust the cheek piece on that. if you feel like you have to smash your head down to barely see through it then you should look into riser blocks so that you can straighten it out.

now the left-right issue...you say that you are balanced so you should next check your hips to make sure you're not twisting them. if you're twisting your hips you're putting torque on your back muscles that make you pull side to side. you want to eliminate as much muscle use as possible. another thing to check is that you have your elbow consistantly in the same place. moving your left elbow (on a right handed shooter) even slightly can move your group and affect npa and balance.
hardhit

Post by hardhit »

Hi Seemehaha,

I have been working on my position with the advise that you have given me. The raiser blocks where already on the rifle and the position of the head was ok in height but it was not consistent in the back and forward position. Since I'm shooting the Anschutz 9003 I have used some sand papaer to smooth the Pro grip material on the cheek piece up to where I need to consistenly need to place my head. Now I feel when I'm in the right position.

In regards to the left-right issue I checked the position of my hips and they are indeed twisted and by paying attention to this detail my position now feels better and the grouping of my shots has reduced. I'm also paying attention to the placement of my elbow and this is rather consitent.

Thanks for your help. If you have some further advise or training proposals then these are more then welcome since I'm the only competition rifle shooter in my club and I don't have a couch the rest of the shooters are all pistol shooters.

Regards,
shortshot

Post by shortshot »

Another thing you could try with your ballance is to turn your back foor in. This will reduce side to side movement.