Trigger question

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
CraigE

Trigger question

Post by CraigE »

I would appreciate a bit of information: What affects on trigger weight adjustments (if any) occur with a slight increase (quarter turn) in sear engagement?

Thanks for any help. CraigE
Sandy

Post by Sandy »

You must specify the pistol/trigger that you are trying to adjust. There are even differences with different models (single stage vs two stage) triggers of the same make pistol.
Sandy
F. Paul in Denver

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

Even with that information, all anyone could do is speculate. Best way to determine what effect if any such an adjustment would have is to buy a set of high quality trigger weights and see for yourself.

F. Paul in Denver
CraigE

Thanks for answers

Post by CraigE »

Pistol in question is a Pardini K2s. Have increased the sear (screw "CA") per instructions to turn 1/4 turn CCW. This being done, trigger seems just a tiny bit "stiffer" and I was already at about 510 gm. The impetus for this adjustment was sudden firing on close of breach cover. All else is fine.
Thanks for the help. I had no idea if there were specific things to expect or not.

CraigE

Post by Guest »

Check the screws you are adjusting on this page
http://www.pilkguns.com/tenp/sppk2.htm
Some (all?) manuals have a couple mislabeled.
scerir

Re: Thanks for answers

Post by scerir »

CraigE wrote:Pistol in question is a Pardini K2s. Have increased the sear (screw "CA") per instructions to turn 1/4 turn CCW. This being done, trigger seems just a tiny bit "stiffer" ....
Look. For that CA screw 1/4 turn CCW is too much. I do not remember what those instructions say, but 1/4 turn is too much, for sure. They (at Pardini) turn that screw about 1/5 turn CCW, if I remember well, or perhaps even less.
When the trigger becomes a bit 'roll' or a bit 'smooth' it means that you have turned that screw too much CCW.
The feeling must be 'crisp', 'clean', 'dry', and not 'roll' or 'smooth'. The trigger was designed, by Pardini and Di Donna, to be 'crisp' and 'clean' and 'dry'.
But there is another problem. The second stage weight - screw PA - adjustment is very limited: usually you can set the second stage weight only between 100 gr. and 170 gr. It is safe to set the second stage weight at (circa) 150 gr. Only *then* it is safe to fix (fine tuning) the other CA screw. But Pardini can provide a different, harder, spring for the second stage weight. Actually Di Donna uses this other spring, and not the original. Italian top shooters usually set the first stage weight at 390/400 gr. and the second stage weight at 120/130 gr.. Do not use the trigger stop, because the Pardini does not have collapse at all.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Just curious- how does " . . . the Pardini does not have collapse at all . . . "?

Does it not require any force at all (0 grams) to move the sear against the spur?

Steve Swartz
Fred

Post by Fred »

Uh oh...Scerir has been busted by the anti-mechanical-trigger police.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

As you well know, Fred, I am definitely PRO mechanical trigger (for everyone else). I will gladly take all the advantages I can get . . . =8^)

Steve Swartz
BJ

Post by BJ »

scerir wrote:
CraigE wrote:Pistol in question is a Pardini K2s. Have increased the sear (screw "CA") per instructions to turn 1/4 turn CCW. This being done, trigger seems just a tiny bit "stiffer" ....
Look. For that CA screw 1/4 turn CCW is too much. I do not remember what those instructions say, but 1/4 turn is too much, for sure. They (at Pardini) turn that screw about 1/5 turn CCW, if I remember well, or perhaps even less.
There ain't much difference between 1/4 and 1/5!!
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

BJ wrote:There ain't much difference between 1/4 and 1/5!!
There is if you are adjusting triggers "by numbers" rather than understanding what you are doing.
scerir

Post by scerir »

Steve Swartz wrote:Just curious- how does " . . . the Pardini does not have collapse at all . . . "? Does it not require any force at all (0 grams) to move the sear against the spur? Steve Swartz
Well, there is no difference between the 162El and the K2. The trigger tongue remains *there* (no overtravel at all) when the shot breaks. This is what I meant when I said 'no collapse'. Of course the feeling is different with the 162-El, but even here you can feel something (try to pull the trigger when the power is *off*, you'll feel yourself forcing the spring of that little switch ...). Regards, s.
BJ

Post by BJ »

David Levene wrote:
BJ wrote:There ain't much difference between 1/4 and 1/5!!
There is if you are adjusting triggers "by numbers" rather than understanding what you are doing.
I agree that when working on an individual trigger, this is quite an amount.
But to give a blanket 1/4 to much, 1/5 correct amount statement for all in any product line will prove to be an average (not to accurately described) and not necessarily correct for the individual trigger.
Also when looking at the end of a screwdriver handle, fairly hard to judge.