International Standard Pistol as an Olympic Event?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Should STD Pistol be an Olympic Event?

YES
78%
NO
22%

Total votes: 18

crthomps03

International Standard Pistol as an Olympic Event?

Post by crthomps03 »

I apologize if this has already been covered previously in this forum.
I am curious if anyone has heard anything or has any info regarding the possibility of international standard pistol becoming an olympic event.
Thankyou.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Just a personal opinion but, although I think Standard would be an ideal Olympic event, the chances of it happening are slightly less than zero.
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

I've got to go along with David. We (sic) almost lost RF, and a couple of air events if not the whole shooting match (pun). Once you ask for that, then the cry for CF & WSP. As it stands the women only shoot air events , shotgun as the Olympic committee continues to think of women as drawing room and tea eye candy.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Sport Pistol maybe; Stnadard Pistol probably not.

Hey- here's a thought- have men and women compete shoulder-shoulder in a unisex Sport/Standard Pistol event!

Bet you would get *a lot* of TV coverage on that one (at least the first quadrennial).

Steve
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

... then the cry for CF & WSP. As it stands the women only shoot air events , shotgun ....
WSP IS an Oly event, ask Maria GROZDEVA, also women shoot 3x20 rifle in the olympics.

WSP/CF with side-by-side men & women might be cool

Sport Pistol for both men and women might be cool

Standard Pistol, would be nice, now its men only, we could open it to both, but I don't think we should add it at the expense of dropping one of our existing events.

The issue of events segregated by gender was discussed at length in another thread and brings up some complications.

Poole
http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

Women are also out of competition in FP as well---I am no bleeding feminist but this is again the sexist approach to sports that has existed since Victorian times.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Men and women competed in rifle until after the 76 olympics. did women ever compete with men in any of the pistol events? I think the Olympic committe should bring this back. It would do a lot to promote the sport.
Richard H

Re: International Standard Pistol as an Olympic Event?

Post by Richard H »

crthomps03 wrote:I apologize if this has already been covered previously in this forum.
I am curious if anyone has heard anything or has any info regarding the possibility of international standard pistol becoming an olympic event.
Thankyou.
Really a waste of time asking this question on a target shooting forum. What do you think the answer from this crowd would be. It's like going to a wieght watchers forum and asking if they like chocolate?

As for it ever actually being an Olympic event, I'd bet that it has no chance in hell of becoming an Olympic Event, we will be luck to keep the events that we have now.
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

I agree with Richard, this thread is pointless. Lets move on to something more productive.