What should I be looking for in my practice?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
James

What should I be looking for in my practice?

Post by James »

I was shooting today, and I felt like my release was better. I was letting the shots off in the first 5-6 seconds, but I didnt get as many 10s as I wanted. They kept clumping in groups around the 10.

Everything felt right....except my vision seemed kinda fuzzy, and i had trouble focusing on front sight and target alignment (probably due to not enough light and a long day at school). only two shots out of 40 had bad sight alignment.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Not to quibble . . . but if yuour vision was kind of fuzzy, how on earth would you know how good the alignment was?

Steve Swartz
James

Post by James »

Fuzzy compared to when i'm shooting at the club, and on a good day, but I'm still young and my vision is still pretty good lol
RobStubbs

Re: What should I be looking for in my practice?

Post by RobStubbs »

James wrote:I was shooting today, and I felt like my release was better. I was letting the shots off in the first 5-6 seconds, but I didnt get as many 10s as I wanted. They kept clumping in groups around the 10.
Did you consider tweaking your sights ? Your description for them clumping sounds like they were in one spot off centre - which sounds like you could have adjusted the sights to put them on centre.

It's obviously difficult to say over the internet but there's nothing inherently wrong with shooting good nines. If your technique is sound then the tens will follow.

Rob.
James

Post by James »

They were in two clumps

One at 1oclock 8-9 ring, and the other 5 oclock on the 8 and 9 rings.

I think it has to do with my hand pressure.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Look for consistency especially the consistent application of a consistent shot process - and this means practice, lots of it. Not just going through the motions and shooting but as some other TargetTalker said "making every shot a loved one" - I love that quote.

Once you have a consistent shot process you can look at making minor modifications to the process and/or gun to improve consistency and bring the groups into the middle of the target.

The most important thing in you life when shooting is the front sight, followed by the trigger.

Mikey
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Amen, Dittos, and Hallelujah!

"Make every shot a Loved and Wanted Shot"

- focus on the front sight as if your eyes were spouting laser beams
- concentrate as hard as you have ever thunk about anything on keeping the front and rear sights absolutely perfectly aligned
- apply smooth, continuous, positive, rapid pressure straight to the rear on the trigger
- repeat 1,000,000 times

The fundamental task is to program your subconscious mind to accurately predict exactly when to begin the third step in order to have the pellet land precisely in hte neighborhood of 10.9+

Anything else you do not directly related to the three principles above will only make the number of repetitions increase . . .

Steve "Only One Mans Humble Opinion" Swartz
K5Tangos

Post by K5Tangos »

Hey Steve,

I've just been aiming at the upper right corner of the target and yanking the trigger violently.

Is that bad? :-)

Keith
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Keith:

Oh, so that's your secret . . . ? Hey, as long as you are "holding and yanking the exact same way every single time" then heck yeah man, Press!

=8^)

(p.s. I forgot to ask- you're good to go for nationals?)

L8r
Steve