opinions on the Walther LP300?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
amonkey

opinions on the Walther LP300?

Post by amonkey »

I don't see a lot of these on the firing line, but I'm looking to buy a new AP and I've always enjoyed the Walther brand.
Anyone out there have one of these that can offer their comments (Pos or Neg) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
Sam1

Post by Sam1 »

A search of LP 300 will turn up all comments.
From memory most negatives were regarding the trigger.
Would be interesting to hear some new opinions though.
NotWalther300

Post by NotWalther300 »

I often see ads from people trying to get rid of their Walther LP300s!
As most Walther APs (and FPs!) the Lp300 is plaqued by a less than desirable trigger....

If you intend to buy a secondhand Walther LP300 be sure you get it cheap!
RJP

LP300

Post by RJP »

I have owned a LP300 for several years now. The first trigger would not hold adjustments for more than 6 months. I needed to readjust at least twice a year. I have replaced my trigger group with the new type that has much harder to turn screws. The trigger now holds adjustments and I have not needed to readjust since.

Other than that, the LP 300 is a first class AP with a mechanical trigger. I t has all the latest features the top APs have and a fantastic grip that can be adjusted in 3 directions.

I tested accuracy in a vise with a clamped and padded AP and fired 10 pellets. The hole at 10 meters was about 30 % larger than the size of a single pellet (approxamately 0.21 inches) with R-10 pellets.

If you like a mechanical trigger the LP300 is first class.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

I have to admit to a natural fondness for Walther air pistols. But with that having been said, I would caution a purchaser to think twice before buying a Walther. Here's why...

1) Technical reason - the grip is mounted on a gimbal-type device. If you have to remove the grip you lose your grip position and have to manually re-index the grip. Contrast this with the Steyr which allows you to remove and replace the grip and it will always go back to the same index point because the grip angle adjustments are in the frame, not on the grip.

2) Service & Support - Walther hasn't been very present in terms of service and support for their airguns in recent years. They seem to have been spending a lot more energy on the Umarex centre-fire look-alike airguns, and less on their high-end target guns. For support Morini can't be beat right now, with Steyr running a close 2nd.
Nicole Hamilton

Post by Nicole Hamilton »

As with any purchase of a precision gun, it's always best if you can try out all the choices in your price range before you decide. If that's not feasible (which, often it's not because no one within driving distance has one of the guns you're interested in) do your best to collect opinions as you're doing here to see if the reasons people offer of why they do or do not like a gun match up to criteria you consider important.

With that big caveat in mind that what I like may or may not mean beans about what you'll like, before you buy something else, I really hope you'll consider the Steyr LP10. (And fortunately, these are popular enough you shouldn't have too much trouble finding someone who has one you can try.) I've had mine for 5 years and I love it. The Morini grip on it is fantastic and it has a really great mechanical rolling trigger so you get some feedback as you increase pressure. To my taste, the LP10 trigger is very close in style to what I have on my Pardini SP, which I also really like. I also like the weight distribution, very little weight out in the muzzle.

Good luck with your choice!
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

My wife shoots a LP300UL (Ultra Light) and it has been fine in all respects.

There have been a couple of issues with the cylinders sometimes discharging themselves when they were unscrewed from either the gun, tank or pump. Walther replaced the cylinder, no questions asked. The problem is still there but nowhere near as often, possibly some dirt somewhere.

As regards the grip adjust, and the statement that if you take the grip off you need to redajust it again, I don't see this as a big issue. How often do you take a grip off? Maybe once a year. Adjusting it again isn't a big issue and should probably be done occasionally anyway as your grip changes and the muscles in your body become stronger. If you are shooting regularly your stance and grip change over time.

I find it useful to readjust the grips of my guns and also the triggers periodically as it makes you think about what is ideal for you now, not just what you have always shot with. But thats a whole new topic.

As far as the Walther LP300 goes I suggest it is as good as any of the top brand guns and the biggest factor for an individual will be down to their own likes and dislikes and presonal preconceptions.

Mikey
Sam1

Post by Sam1 »

It has great advantages to be able to remove and replace the grip and have it return to the same position.
The following are but a few.

Being able to make small adjustments to the pistol's point without losing the previous datum.
Fiddle with the trigger.
Bog and Dremel without dust entering the action.
Test someone elses grip on your pistol.
Adjust the velocity.
etc...

I think its a very worthwhile plus.
I also agree with Mickey's thoughts about change in grip requirements over time, especially for a new shooter.