Pistol brass/case catchers

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
dazza

Pistol brass/case catchers

Post by dazza »

Can anybody advise which centrefire pistols come with or can be fitted with a brass/case catcher. Looking at buying a match pistol to use in centrefire matches, but I've been told that Walther is the only pistol that has a catcher that can be fitted, and still be legal in regard to the overall dimensions.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Mike T.

Case Catcher

Post by Mike T. »

The SIG/Hämmerli P240 can be fitted with a case catcher and still fit within "the box". The one on my gun was installed by a previous owner. It has a mesh bag attached to a wire frame. A thin metal tab with two holes is brazed to the wire frame. Two holes were tapped into the pistol frame, just forward of and below the ejection port. Two thumb screws hold the metal tab (and hence the wire frame and mesh bag) onto the frame. The open end of the bag is positioned over the ejection port.
These days, I have been told, mesh bag catchers can be purchased with a Velcro attachment - which eliminates the need to drill and tap the frame.
Some of my shooting acquaintances have a molded plastic case catcher for their Hämmerli 280 (it was a Hämmerli accessory). They entered matches using that combination, so I'm guessing that it passed gun check (ie fit in the box), - but I'm ready to be corrected on that.
Last edited by Mike T. on Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
F. Paul in Denver

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

Dazza,

Consider prioritizing what you really want out of your new CF gun.

Some things to consider (in some particular order)

Fit
Feel
Reliability
Trigger quality
Accuracy
Reputation for performance in the specific discipline you intend to shoot
Manufacturer's reputation
Parts availability
Cost
Resale value
Asthetics\overall quality of fit and finish (coolness)
(Add just about anything and everything else here)
How it ejects brass

It would truly be a shame to buy a gun that ejects brass precisely where you want it but doesnt live up to what most would consider far more important considerations.

Dont get me wrong, Walther .32's are superb guns. But they are only one of several choices available.

On the other hand if brass management is your top priority, I have never seen anything with an attached brass catcher except the Walther.

Good luck with your choice,

Paul
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

F. Paul in Denver wrote:On the other hand if brass management is your top priority, I have never seen anything with an attached brass catcher except the Walther.
On the other hand if brass management is your top priority, get a revolver.