Rapid Fire Pistol: What the future holds????

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
metermatch

Rapid Fire Pistol: What the future holds????

Post by metermatch »

Can I ask opinions about what the future holds for Rapid Fire?

I know participation is slim for Rapid Fire in the United States, but how is it in the rest of the world? Is it in danger of being dropped in International competition or the Olympics? It is my understanding that Running Target has been dropped, at least in the U.S. Is Rapid Fire next?

Is USA Shooting thinking of dropping support and team status for Rapid Fire?

Basically, am I wasting my time learning how to shoot Rapid Fire?

Thanks

Jeff
RobStubbs

Re: Rapid Fire Pistol: What the future holds????

Post by RobStubbs »

Jeff,
If you 'give up on it' then in so doing you are partly contributing to it's demise. It may eventually go from the olympics but it won't happen overnight. It will also carry on in big international competitons for even longer.

I say you should shoot what disciplines you enjoy and encourage others to do the same. Be that rapid fire or whatever.

I can only shoot it with 5 shot air guns in the UK but that doesn't mean I don't bother or that's all I will ever shoot it with. I may or may not get to shoot rapid fire properly and at a higher level but I'll give it my best shot. Other factors are outside my control so I don't think about them.

Rob.
metermatch wrote:Can I ask opinions about what the future holds for Rapid Fire?

I know participation is slim for Rapid Fire in the United States, but how is it in the rest of the world? Is it in danger of being dropped in International competition or the Olympics? It is my understanding that Running Target has been dropped, at least in the U.S. Is Rapid Fire next?

Is USA Shooting thinking of dropping support and team status for Rapid Fire?

Basically, am I wasting my time learning how to shoot Rapid Fire?

Thanks

Jeff
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

It's my understanding that the event is more popular in Europe. Here in the U.S., RF bays are scarce and the shooter density low.

I doubt that it will get deep-sixed. RF is too well established, and the bays are used for Sport Pistol as well - and the IOC is not likely to delete the women's sport with the broadest participation.
dnovo

Post by dnovo »

It would be a shame if it goes. While no longer 'legal' my favorite pistol is still my GPE Schumann. Nothing like the fun of 'full auto' in my mini-blaster loaded with RWS's mildest loads. Dave