RWS FP50

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
shadow

RWS FP50

Post by shadow »

I have some RWS FP50 along with R50 and Target Rifle (which I use frequently). Can someone comment on the "differences" in all three - from an accuracy and "feel" standpoint. I realize that the FP50 will not function in a semi-auto. My question deals with the Free Pistol. Also, what ammo is preferred by Free Pistol shooters. I would guess Tenex. Am I correct? I have some Tenex along with Eley Club (cardboard boxes) that I bought around 1976 in my rifle days. Would this ammo be OK to use?

I thank everyone for their input.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Shadow:

Sadly, or luckily (!?), there is no answer to your question. 22LR is a particularly "finicky" round in terms of matching ammunition (by manufacturer, brand, and more importantly [oddly enough] by lot) to a particular chamber/bore combination.

The good news is that *any* normal velocity, target type ammunition will work very well in a match arm.

The bad news is that if you are looking for "that last 2%" the *only* way to know for sure is to perform extensive testing of all kinds of ammo.

Funny how a $2,500 match arm will frequently shoot best with $3.00 ammo . . . . I have three "top end" pistols and rifles and 2 out of 3 shoot the best groups with plain old CCI Standard Velocity (blue box) from a couple of cases I bought several years ago. In one of these arms (a rifle) the Tenex won't group worth a hoot (relatively speaking).

Steve Swartz
dhurt

Post by dhurt »

Hey Steve, What do you put through your Morini free pistol? Like you have already stated, what yours likes, mine may not, but I thought it might be a starting place. Thanks, Dwaine Hurt.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Hey Dwaine:

Three types group very well in my Morini (in order of "tightness"):

1. Eley Tenex (red box waxy stuff . . . very accurate but heck to keep clean; resulting in lots of Q-Tip use at the range).

2. Federal Gold Medal (the stuff with the dimple in the base; horrible reliability in my 208S but goes bang every time in the FP). Seems to be "hotter" than the Eley in terms of felt recoil.

3. CCI Standard Velocity (blue box). I have a case of this stuff left over from "way back when" and must have gotten a primo lot or something. I'm kind of hanging on to it.

Right now I'm shooting the Federal in training and PTOs; am vacillating back and forth about using the Eley for the Spring Selection Matches next week. Probably should use it since it's the "Official Sponsor" ammo this year.

1 and 2 are very close in accuracy performance. 3 beat other Eley brands (including the one with the flat nose with the nipple on it??) and RWS among other "pricey" stuff.

Go figure.

Testing done with vice on concrete bench at 50 yards.

Steve Swartz
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

Personally I have been a fan of RWS Target Rifle ammo---(which I believe is really a pistol ammo in disguise). I use it in my Pardini SP and in all of my FPistols from the old TOZ---Hammerli 160 Special---New TOZ. I have tried JAGD Pistol Match which is greasier than ELEY Ten-X and Pistol Match IMHO. As Steve says, every 20 or so rounds I had to use a wee bit of the devil's juice to clean out the chamber and surrounding areas and TOZ extractor gets a wee bit clogged as well---also find the trigger finger got a wee bit greasy.