traveling with cylinders

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

lucky

traveling with cylinders

Post by lucky »

curious how does our national and olympic team handle flying with air cylinders

thanks
lucky
Richard H

Re: traveling with cylinders

Post by Richard H »

lucky wrote:curious how does our national and olympic team handle flying with air cylinders

thanks
lucky
Hit and miss the same as everyone else.
F. Paul in Denver

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

My guess is that individuals travelling with U.S. Olympic team credentials are going to be treated far more differently than the rest of us by TSA decision makers.

The rules for all of us may be the same but their application is usually affected by the specific circumstances presented.

F. Paul in Denver
Guest2

Re: traveling with cylinders

Post by Guest2 »

Richard H wrote:
lucky wrote:curious how does our national and olympic team handle flying with air cylinders

thanks
lucky
Hit and miss the same as everyone else.
Richard, are you answering for the Candian National Team? Can you describe any past problems the CN National Team had with travel? Does "hit or miss" translate to every other trip, evey third trip, or do problems only arise rarely? Just curious as the statement is a bit broad. Thanks.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I heard a couple of shooters (disabled) had their cylinders confiscated. Most of the matches are on the east coast so everyone that I know personally usually drives down. The broadness of the statement is based on the fact that many of the rules (not just air cylinders) seem to be enforced and interpreted differently at different locations and even at the same location by different people. Even here in Canada, I flew from Hamilton to Edmonton had my Champion glasses in my carry on, no problem going there but coming home they were concerned by the little screw driver in the case (Didn't care about the pen in my pocket or the keys or the lady behind me with knitting needles). The screening women seen my medals in the case and said that she would let it go this time.

I'm not on the national team but shoot with quite a few members, none have had any really problems that I'm aware of.

The is not a comment against the US, but I know a lot of shooters avoid any flights that go thru the US as much as possible because if your plan gets re-routed and you land there they get all bent that you have a gun in the cargo hold that doesn't have a BATF form 7. Ask them if you can get a form 7 for transiting the US and they will tell you no, so I don't really know what they expect.

Most of the problems seem to be flying within the US. On the average trip the a Canadian takes you only have to deal with the TSA once and that's coming home.

It's all just ridicules, all to create the illusion that they are doing something for safety. We the sheepeople allow it to happen.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

As Richard says it's pretty much a US only issue. I flew over to Holland this year with no problems whatsoever, airgun and spare cylinder. Lot's of others flew over too and again no problems.

The problem it appears is TSA and no-one else. It appears to be a unique over reaction and is best solved by, wherever possible, avoiding the US airports with airguns - which is a big shame !

Rob.