Filling of Air and CO2 Cylinders at Matches and Other Venues

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Johnv

Filling of CO2 & Air Cylinder Safety

Post by Johnv »

Due to past accidents with CO2 and CA, the NRA developed two posters with safe guidelines for filling/handling CO2 and CA. Contact the NRA's Program Material's Center at: http://materials.nrahq.org/go/products. ... cellaneous The items are: CO2 safety - Item number CC 19175 and CA safety - Item number CC 19725 or E-mail jvenskoske@nrahq.org for a copy.
carol

adapters

Post by carol »

Hi Keith, We have an adapter for our air cylinders that goes on a scuba tank, but when we try to fill it, the gauge on the adapter only goes to 100psi, what are we doing wrong, should we open the valve for longer or should it be a quick burst, at the moment we have not successfully filled our small air cylinders with air, other that a hand pump.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Carol I don't know if Keith hangs out much on here any more, he hasn't posted since 2006.
scott75

Post by scott75 »

My 2 cents

I know that with my personal scuba tank it is secured to the wall of my garage and is in a position so as when I am filling it the air rifle tank is facing the wall. I bought the tank as an ex-rental from a dive shop, and it is now classified as a non-dive tank so that it can be certified every five years instead of every year. I only use an approved filling adaptor(I have seen a few 'home-made' ones in my travels. I would have to say USER BEWARE!!!!! Dont be a tight arse and buy a real one!!!!!

I have also thrown away the spanner that came with the rifle to assist in getting the tank off and on the rifle, and now I remove and attach the tank with only my hand. My reasons for this is I have seen once, and heard a few times that people have placed the spanner in the wrong position on the rifle tank, and have accidently screwed the regulator off the tank which on one occasion hit a shooter in the jaw breaking it in two places!!

We are in what could be a very dangerous sport, and with common sense and approved equipment, hopefully the only holes we produce are 10's time and time again!!!!!!! At the end of the day that is why we love the sport.

On that note Enjoy the sport we love. Happy shooting!

Scott
Australia
Eurastus

Post by Eurastus »

This thread sure makes me appreciate my FWB 603 and FWB 103 even more.

Simplicity, man. One crank and away we go.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Don't be such a Luddite crank. You'll upset the other shooters who firmly believe that a decent score cannot be shot with other than the latest and greatest.
peterz

Post by peterz »

There are certainly some safety-related reasons to continue to use CO2 guns if, like me, you don't want to work as hard as cocking an SSP!
Guest456

Re: Filling of Air and CO2 Cylinders at Matches and Other Ve

Post by Guest456 »

KeithS wrote: I personally have seen instances of juniors filling their cylinders, unsupervised. NOT A GOOD IDEA! Juniors should not be allowed to fill cylinders...either air or co2 from high pressure tanks. Adults only.
Can they go to the bathroom unsupervised, or would you regulate that too? You are so quick to judge and to trample children's rights in the process, are you?
Luftskytter-

Post by Luftskytter- »

We have a 10m range at my workplace, and storing high-pressure air is frowned upon by the safety/fire hazard people here. CO2 is OK: lower pressure, and same noncombustible stuff as in their fire extinguishers.........

Have to agree though that filling procedures require a degree of maturity: guess it depends on what counts as a junior in your area. If you need to be 18 to buy an airgun........