Online retailer worth a look.

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

benchrest

Post by benchrest »

Hi Richard H. another Richard here. I guess I'm one that uses one of those funky browsers. FireFox. I do because it's not as suseptable to viruses as IE and is faster. This is only the second web site I've found in 5 months that doesn't work with Firefox. The other is Microsoft(G). It works both ways, if companies want there product to reach 100% of the market instead of only 90% they will have to make a choice in web design. If they follow standards and don't do weird stuff it will work with all browsers. Afterall Firefox wouldn't have gained 10% of the market share in the last few years if they weren't doing something right. I guess I've gotten far off from shooting. Sorry. Rich
Bill177

Browsers

Post by Bill177 »

FireFox is indeed, a fine browser. It is not prone to attacks and also allows the user to control the amount of screen clutter viewed - all those banner ads, block ads, and other junk that just wastes time and space.

I design web sites, many of them, and it is very easy to allow them to work with any browser. In fact, you have to work at it to prevent FireFox from functioning properly.

I recommend FireFox to everyone.
Lurker

Technical web site advice

Post by Lurker »

Ethics of the posting of the URL or possible competition aside, there are some things you can do to improve your site. Please, allow me to be blunt. For what it's worth, I have had some experience with HTML, XHTML, and CSS.

I looked at your site in Opera and Internet Explorer and had problems with layout and functionality in both. I looked at the source code and found it filled with the useless stuff that is typical of Microsoft (and some other) product's HTML efforts in untutored hands. The fact that users are having problems in IE should be a warning, and a strong one at that.

The source code indicates that the designer/coder has little understanding of HTML/XHTML and CSS or web standards.

You might want to look at and urge your web staff to visit such sites as:

http://www.htmlhelp.com/

http://www.webreference.com/

http://www.webdeveloper.com/

http://info.med.yale.edu/caim/manual/contents.html

http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/

I offer this advice freely and without malice or condescension, despite its bluntness. It may be worth every cent you are paying for it. Your current web site is not. I strongly suggest that you start over.

I shall return to lurking.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

TargetShootingShop.com wrote:Rob, you need to look at the beginning of this thread, I didn't start the thread, I simply responded to it.

I was glad to see someone recommended my site, why wouldn't I be, but it wasn't me.

I was not and am not trying any advertising of any nature. If my username is causing offence by having my web address in it I'm sure a mod can alter it, which I will not mind at all.

Lets try and get the facts right here guys.
I never said you started the thread - that doesn't alter the fact that it's being advertised here.

Rob.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

benchrest wrote:Hi Richard H. another Richard here. I guess I'm one that uses one of those funky browsers. FireFox. I do because it's not as suseptable to viruses as IE and is faster. This is only the second web site I've found in 5 months that doesn't work with Firefox. The other is Microsoft(G). It works both ways, if companies want there product to reach 100% of the market instead of only 90% they will have to make a choice in web design. If they follow standards and don't do weird stuff it will work with all browsers. Afterall Firefox wouldn't have gained 10% of the market share in the last few years if they weren't doing something right. I guess I've gotten far off from shooting. Sorry. Rich
It's not prone to attacks because there aren't enouhg people using it at this time. Hackers are going to wast time designing attacks for products that are mere slivers of the market. If and when more people start using it it will probably have more attacks as it is completely open source, so enjoy you immunity for now.

My friend don't confuse gaining 10% in market share and actually having 10% of the market share those are to vastly different numbers.

All companies pick and choose what market they want to deal with, no one reaches 100% of any market.

As for Firefox I guess you don't surf enough because I have come across at least 100 different sites in the last 2 months that are not fully functional but unless you are running both you probably won't know that.
benchrest

Post by benchrest »

I agree its not prone to attacks partially because its low use. But it is also designed better and it doesn't have the name microsoft. Many of the attackers seem to have it in for microsofts monopoly and they enjoy sticking it to Bill Gates. I guess we can agree we disagree on some things. Glad to see you are using Foxfire part of the time. I assume that's how you determined 100 sites look different.

A beautiful day here. I should have been out shooting but mowed the yard for the fist time this season. Maybe tomorrow.

Rich
TargetShootingShop.com

Post by TargetShootingShop.com »

Thanks for all the tips re: the browsers guys and the HTML stuff, really appreciated!!

Good shooting!!
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

benchrest wrote:I agree its not prone to attacks partially because its low use. But it is also designed better and it doesn't have the name microsoft. Many of the attackers seem to have it in for microsofts monopoly and they enjoy sticking it to Bill Gates. I guess we can agree we disagree on some things. Glad to see you are using Foxfire part of the time. I assume that's how you determined 100 sites look different.

A beautiful day here. I should have been out shooting but mowed the yard for the fist time this season. Maybe tomorrow.

Rich
It's a sport to go after anyone who is successful. Build em up knock em down an American past-time (as in North American not just US).

Well we are getting acold front through here it was 15 C on the weekend and now it's about 0 C (32 F). I just took the cover off my pool, wishful thinking I guess.
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

interesting thread on several counts. For the record, I consider this a public forum, and try not get worried about competing reccomendations. I do think it poor form when someone is recommending something we sell be purchased elsewhere at a slighlty cheape price, but oh well, life goes on. I don't want to be the net nanny for such, and have seen some formerly good forums of other interests go downhill due to excessive editing of competitor mentions.

As for the firefox debat... I tried it a few months ago, thinking it would be my 100% browser based on what I heard. But I had the opposite expereince of what I expected. I had far more popups with Firefox, almost impossible to browse the net in fact, that I had to go back to IE. I talked to one of my FF proponent geek freinds, and he could'nt explain it or fix it... I don't know.

Oh well, glad to be able to see TT. It is blocked in China, as seem to be anything that has blog or bulletion board software. Getting on the pilkguns or site or other shooting sites seemed to not be problem... at least when the internet was working, something that was iffy.
TargetShootingShop.com

With regard to how the thread went down the road of browser compatability I have done a few updates and would love some feedback from firefox users or indeed users using anything except IE, I only have IE so can't check the site myself, www.targetshootingshop.co.uk if anything isn't working in firefox I'd love to know.

Ryan
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

TargetShootingShop.com wrote:With regard to how the thread went down the road of browser compatability I have done a few updates and would love some feedback from firefox users or indeed users using anything except IE, I only have IE so can't check the site myself
Then download it! It doesn't take long and all your bookmarks from IE are automatically imported. The two browsers can live quite happily on the same computer without bothering each other. I started using it at the start of the year on my home PC and I wish I had downloaded it earlier (especially as I'm still on dial-up).

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

TargetShootingShop.com wrote:With regard to how the thread went down the road of browser compatability I have done a few updates and would love some feedback from firefox users or indeed users using anything except IE, I only have IE so can't check the site myself, www.targetshootingshop.co.uk if anything isn't working in firefox I'd love to know.

Ryan
Everything seems to be working OK in Firefox
Russ

The Fastest Browser on Earth And SAFE!

Post by Russ »

I'm happy with Opera! No problem at ALL!
Russ
Opera Web BrowserOpera - The Fastest Browser on Earth. ... Opera 8.5 - Better Browsing. Feel Free. The Opera Browser is fast, safe · Free download

www.opera.com/
sparky

Post by sparky »

I only poked around a little, but this time around, I didn't see any problems.
TargetShootingShop.com wrote:With regard to how the thread went down the road of browser compatability I have done a few updates and would love some feedback from firefox users or indeed users using anything except IE, I only have IE so can't check the site myself, www.targetshootingshop.co.uk if anything isn't working in firefox I'd love to know.

Ryan
TargetShootingShop.com

Thanks guys, I'm a a little scared of anything I don't know (e.g. Firefox, Opera) but appreciate you looking at the site for me!!
Luker

Web site improvement

Post by Luker »

TargetShootingShop.com wrote:Thanks for all the tips re: the browsers guys and the HTML stuff, really appreciated!!
I see you (or your web staff) have decided to use Actinic. Just out of curiosity, would you describe how and with whom (no names, just a general description) you started your first efforts and how and why you moved over to Actinic?

Post by Guest »

TargetshootingShop.com person,

I thought you said you were going to change your username so as not to cause offence.

Still trying to procure business from this site?
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

TargetShootingShop.com wrote:I was not and am not trying any advertising of any nature. If my username is causing offence by having my web address in it I'm sure a mod can alter it, which I will not mind at all.

Anonymous wrote:
TargetshootingShop.com person,
I thought you said you were going to change your username so as not to cause offence.
Anonymous - give it a rest already. Ryan's comment was that the TT moderator was free to change his username if it was giving offence. At least he is using his name.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Anonymous wrote:TargetshootingShop.com person,

If it doesn't bother Scott, it really shouldn't bother you (I'm sure the UK market is not a major part of his market).

If you want people to take you seriously use a really name and join the forum.

Go police the web somewhere else.
TargetShootingShop.com

Richard H wrote:
Anonymous wrote:TargetshootingShop.com person,

If it doesn't bother Scott, it really shouldn't bother you (I'm sure the UK market is not a major part of his market).

If you want people to take you seriously use a really name and join the forum.

Go police the web somewhere else.
Well said that man! I did say I welcomed a MODERATOR to change my username if felt it was offensive, as we all now agree, the chances of me getting any business from the US is virtually nil anyway, and rightly so, shooters should support their local dealers , there's plenty of local business for us all.