Guys how do you convert the millemeter to inches to centimeter. thanks
CordB

Post by CordB »

1 millimeter = 0.0393 inch 1 inch = 2.54 centimeters Hope that helps - Cord
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

1 cm = 10 mm

1 inch = 2.54 cm = 25.4 mm

Why are we still stuck with the English system?
Hap Rocketto

Conversions

Post by Hap Rocketto »

Jose,

Perhaps we are stuck with the English System because we speak English?

The United States is, as far as measument is concerned, 230 years of tradition unhampered by progress or the thought process.

Let's face it, in general the only interest the American public has in the Metric System is 9mm.

Hap
Nicole Hamilton

Re: Conversions

Post by Nicole Hamilton »

Hap Rocketto wrote:Perhaps we are stuck with the English System because we speak English?
Other English-speaking countries (e.g., Canada and UK) have gone metric, so I doubt that's the reason. I think it was just government mismanagement and consumer and industrial resistance.
Hap Rocketto

Metric

Post by Hap Rocketto »

Nicole,
That was a tongue in cheek comment.
Hap
Nicole Hamilton

Post by Nicole Hamilton »

Sorry. I'm not usually so humor-challenged.
Bill177

Try this site

Post by Bill177 »

The following link will convert anything:
http://www.onlineconversion.com/

for example: 10 meter = 2.734 twain (from Mississippi River navigation phrase "mark twain")
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

OK, I'll bite. What's wrong with the English system?

The few supposed advantages of the metric system are only apparent in the trumped-up, divisible-by-ten examples proffered by the metric system's proponents. As an engineer, I can safely say that real life cases are rarely divisible by ten, and when they are, who cares? If the height of an exhaust stack is 30m, what difference does it make that the height is also equal to 3000cm or 30000mm?

Metric flowrates are expressed in m3/hr. If all we're talking about is water at standard conditions, yes the conversion to kg/hr or then to kg is simplified, but in most cases, it's another fluid and correction via specific gravity results in non-round numbers, same as in the English system.

Look at metric screw threading - plenty of non-round number pitches-and the derived pressure unit, the Pascal. It's so small that it forces the use of kilo- and mega- prefixes. In the grocery store, there is the outlaw "Metric Pound", equal to 500g. It's a convenient size, about 46g (1-5/8 oz) more than an English pound.

In the end, there is nothing inherently more accurate about one system versus the other. Sure, we Luddites have to remember a few numbers like 12, 32.2 and 36, but we manage.

Remember, a pint's a pound, the world around! And which would you rather hear, "Going a mile a minute" or "Going 26.8224 meters a second"? Doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

Don't fret, though, we're still moving toward the metric system, inch by inch.
Hap Rocketto

Metric

Post by Hap Rocketto »

Nicole,
Not to worry.
Having taught high school physics for 25 years I am still amazed at how I had to fight with kids to come to grips with fractional factoring/unit analysis for conversions and the ease of the metric system.
By the way, I have enjoyed your posts.
Hap
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

Hap Rocketto wrote:Jose

The United States is, as far as measument is concerned, 230 years of tradition unhampered by progress or the thought process.
+1 LOL!
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

FYI, any American car you buy these days is 100% metric with the exception of half the numbers on the speedometer, and perhaps the numbers on the temperature and oil pressure meters if they have numbers at all.

Every single drawing GM issues today is in metric, regardless of where the vehicle or part is designed. While I haven't worked at Ford or DCX, I bet they are the same way.

Post by Guest »

[quote="Hap Rocketto"]Jose,

Perhaps we are stuck with the English System because we speak English?

Let's face it, in general the only interest the American public has in the Metric System is 9mm.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL