Old Anschutz rifle

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

jackh

Old Anschutz rifle

Post by jackh »

Is an old Anschutz Super Match 54 servicable still? I think it is a 1413 from the 60's. Or very close to that. It is great shape if it is that old. It has sights and match trigger. To be totally complete it would need a butt hook, palmrest assembly and what appears to be a palm shelf on the grip. (I found some old pictures on the net) . There is a huge screw-plug on the grip cap surface. I'm not sure what that is. Are these parts and pieces still available? Any caveats?

I would return to some smallbore shooting with it. Who knows where that might lead.

Jack
Hap Rocketto

Post by Hap Rocketto »

Jack,

If the price is right and the condition is good there is nothing wrong with starting with it. I still use my circa 1975 1413 action in my prone rifle.

You will need a butt hook but the palm rest is a matter of choice and few people that I know use the grip shelf.

All of the parts can be found with some hunting or easly replaceable with newer models.

Good luck.

Hap
Coach Don

Mod. 54

Post by Coach Don »

I have one of these from the late 50's, early 60's, and it shoots better than I can hold it. Good rifle. I have done some little modifications, but it is pretty much the same as when I bought from a college student in the mid-60's.
Also, where in Oregon are you from? I am in Beaverton.
jackh

Post by jackh »

Coach Don
I m in Eugene. Shoot at EEGC near Springfield. I have been to Tri County BE matches several times. Shot my best EIC hardball score there. I think I will go get this rifle.

Post by Guest »

The screw plug on the grip is a holder for spare foresight elements.

Tim S

Exeter UK
jackh

Post by jackh »

I am now the owner of this subject rifle. :) Super Match 54 sn 16xxx.

I'll have to be on the watch for a palmrest unit and a butthook. Also the grip palm shelf. Otherwise it is all there and seems ready to go.

Wish me luck - Jack
E Kuney

Post by E Kuney »

JackH

Contact me offlist at e27122002@yahoo.com and I may be able to help you with some old parts.
plinker

Anschutz rifles

Post by plinker »

The 1413 is a 70's era weapon - I own the 1407 model which is a little lighter and leaner. If the weapon has been well-cared for, it'll probably outlast you! Accuracy is never a problem with Anschutz - they build a great gun!
TWP

Post by TWP »

I think the old ones are at least as good as the ones they are selling today, if not better.

I did some ammo testing earlier this year with 2 brand new 1907's, a 1912, and my daughters 1607 barreled action in a 1613 stock. With any of the guns prefered ammo the groups were pretty much the same size.

I've seen sights on several of the newer rifles fail recently. The ones on the older guns seem to work just fine.
jackh

Sight inserts don't fit

Post by jackh »

New Anschutz sight inserts wont go into old Anschutz front globe sight body. The inserts are just a tiny oversize.

Suggestions?
TWP

Post by TWP »

Buy a set of the proper sized ones.

Champions Choice, Champion Shooters Supply, Neal Johnsons, and probably even our host here Pilk Guns should carry them.

I picked up a set for my daughters gun at Camp Perry one year. IIRC it was about $20 for a set of plastic inserts.
jackh

Post by jackh »

They came from Champions choice. They are just a couple thousandths bigger on the OD.