Morini 84E compensators

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
dhurt

Morini 84E compensators

Post by dhurt »

Looking at the World Cup pictures, several compensators on the Morini's. Are the compensators really useful, or do these guys have them on for the heck of it. I have read previous posts on fouling, excetra, but are they now considered worthy? I just got a Morini 84E, the thing doesn't seem to kick much anyway?? Thoughts please? Thanks, Dwaine
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

Compensators have their place I guess---that you see them on guns being fired by the "dead-eyes" on the world scene---may not necessarily the ones manufactured by "Morini??". The length of the FP barrel is usually ~11"---so that's why they were developed more to compensate the barrel lift on recoil---not to reduce the perceived recoil---the "lift" is enough to destroy the best shot plan in the world. As for practicality they do tend to foul up and have to be kept clean---I remember a shooter with an FP-10 (manufactured by "Morini?" for Hammerli) he had a compensator and the gun looked "cool" with the comp on---but he was having a holy awful match until someone suggested he remove it. Well the Holy Spirit didn't save his match but his shooting appeared to improve. I use a TOZ and they ain't no such animule in the catalog---not that I would use one.
F. Paul in Denver

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

Bob Riegl wrote:---the "lift" is enough to destroy the best shot plan in the world...
Bob,

Can you give be more specific as to the detrimental effect of lift on the shot plan??

Thanks

F. Paul in Denver
Ernie Rodriguez

22 Compensator

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

The compensator's main function is more to divert the gas away from the base of the bullet,upon exiting bbl,there by eliminating a possible source of any inaccuracies of bullet flight.Erod
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Now we're onto one of my favourite shooting topics - yeehaw!

To answer the original question, my limited machine rest testing of the Morini CM84E with and without compensator revealed that compensation did not add measureably to the accuracy of the pistol. Group sizes when shot with the compensator, "bloop tube" sight holder, and no sight holder at all, were all about the same. There certainly was more variability resulting from the ammunition consistancy than from the performance of the compensator.

Where does this statement leave us? With the question about the effect of a compensator on pistol accuracy when fired from the human hand. I've done some experimentation in this regard, but none of it is of sufficiently scientific nature to allow results to be quoted here. Suffice it to say that I can "call the shot" better with the comp installed. However, I feel that my total performance is more impacted by the balance of the pistol. Since I can't tolerate a muzzle-heavy pistol I can't shoot very well with the comp. As a result I shoot with a modified bloop tube and achieve significantly better grouping as a result of having a better-balanced pistol.

As far as maintenance goes, you've got to clean the comp and the crown of your barrel fairly regularly (every few hundred rounds). It only takes a few minutes to do, so really isn't that big a deal.

I have also experimented with manufacturing my own compensators for the CM84E, but more on that later...
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

The term "lift" is one I coined many years back---simply put the lift of the muzzle on recoil is a movement of the front portion of the barrel on ignition of the powder-- this movement occurs slightly ahead of the round leaving the muzzle---ergo--it follows that: the chance of the bullet being slightly off path---contributes to a shot placement in a slightly different location. On the FP target at 50' can be as much as one ring---at 50 metres---you do the math. IMHO the compensator should be designed to "offset" that slight deviation. Now we can proceed into the calculus of this---however it might put us all to sleep---nicht wahr? Getting into the "science" often ruins the "adventure" (also termed frustration) of the Free Pistol (spawn of the devil).
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Bob:

How does the compensator affect the "lift" component from recoil? I can see how the compensator provides a force when high pressure gas is moving through it (as bullet base clears muzzle) but not sure how the low pressure/low volume air in front of the bullet provides any significant force while the bullet is still traveling down the barrel . . .

Steve
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

IMHO the simple fact that there are vents machined, usually on the upper surface of the comp, that is supposed to deflect the compressed air volume that precedes the bullet after ignition---the physics & subsequent calculations works out to show that the energy produced is supposed to counteract the upward lift component of the barrel as a result of some of the recoil energy which does have a noticeable backward component. The resultant of forces with the grips acting as a pivot for this lever (gun ) does show an upward component or movement factor to the muzzle end of the barrel (lift). However, put all drivel together---I personally do not agree that this is sufficient energy to have that much of an effect. Now I sure there are lot's of guys with more smarts than me ("Morini?") engineers who can justify this accessory IMHO.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Bob Riegl wrote:IMHO the simple fact that there are vents machined, usually on the upper surface of the comp, that is supposed to deflect the compressed air volume that precedes the bullet after ignition---the physics & subsequent calculations works out to show that the energy produced is supposed to counteract the upward lift component of the barrel as a result of some of the recoil energy which does have a noticeable backward component. The resultant of forces with the grips acting as a pivot for this lever (gun ) does show an upward component or movement factor to the muzzle end of the barrel (lift). However, put all drivel together---I personally do not agree that this is sufficient energy to have that much of an effect. Now I sure there are lot's of guys with more smarts than me ("Morini?") engineers who can justify this accessory IMHO.
What you seem to be describing is porting which is designed to control muzzle movement. A compensator is used to reduce the turbulent air follow around the projectile.