Cheap pellets for the Steyr LP5?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
IPshooter

Cheap pellets for the Steyr LP5?

Post by IPshooter »

I think my LP5 has a disease. It's called "going through pellets like water". ;-)

I'm curious about what low cost pellets other LP5/LP50 owners are using. Will any wadcutter style pellet reliably work through the action?

Stan
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Well all it calls for is .177 (4.5 mm) pellets. The problem with cheap pellets is that they are inconsistent (therefore less reliable) will they work? Probably. Will they be reliable? Probably not, and that's what makes they cheap.

I love this "what is the cheapest pellet" to put thru my $1500 gun.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I too find it bizzare that people bemoan the cost of pellets - heck you get 500 in the tin for the price of a burger - how much cheaper do you want ?? ! If you get cheap pellets you risk variable sizes and more dusty pellets. Both of those attributes increase the likelihood of malfunctions. If you really don't like the cost then try doing more dry firing - that's free !

Rob.
IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

Jeez, guys, I didn't realize my question was comitting a sin. Maybe I don't have deep enough pockets to hang out with you guys. It just seems prudent to me to reduce my pellet cost so I can pay for other things, shooting-related or otherwise.

Well, I guess I should not ask questions on this forum in the future. Lesson learned.

Stan
Russ

Less expensive pellets...

Post by Russ »

Stan!
Less expensive pellets, I think is Vogel.... about $5 for Tin (500)...Sorry $7
You can buy it from the our host:
http://www.pilkguns.com/vogel.htm \
OR: RWS PISTOL MEISTERKUGELN BULK TIN PELLET (500) $6.50

http://www.champchoice.com/shop.php?res ... page_num=2

VOGEL PELLETS come in the following sizes:
4.48mm (Green label Match only)
4.49mm
4.495mm (Green label Match only)
4.50mm
4.51mm (Green label Match only)
Good Shooting!
Rouslan
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

IPshooter wrote:Jeez, guys, I didn't realize my question was comitting a sin. Maybe I don't have deep enough pockets to hang out with you guys. It just seems prudent to me to reduce my pellet cost so I can pay for other things, shooting-related or otherwise.

Well, I guess I should not ask questions on this forum in the future. Lesson learned.

Stan
Well Stan sorry you took offence, I thought I answered your question honestly. When you ask for opinions you shouldn't take it personally when people disagree with you. I think it would be prudent to own less pistols if I couldn't afford to feed them, but hey that's me. You've asked questions before and got answers so I wouldn't go all wounded puppy on us.

Personally I think it is silly to lay out thousands of dollars for top line equipment and then feed them crap. Hey it's a personal choice, one that I don't make, but what ever floats your boat. I don't see a big enough difference in the cost of top quality pellets and the lesser quality to be bothered, but thats me. You asked if cheaper pellets are reliable and I answered. I beleive you get what you pay for. I wouldn't actually consider Vogels cheap pellets (they are sorted and come in various sizes) and they aren't all that cheap. I think Vogel is actually the company that makes the machinery all the other pellet manufactures use. I've used H&N final Match, RWS R10, and JSB Match. I don't like the new R10's as much as the old ones. They don't feel as slippery as the old ones and I've noticed metallic flakes on my finger after shooting (so I don't think they are as clean). They shoot fine though.

Maybe it was the phrasing of your question because you can get Chinese pellets for $2.00 a tin that are covered in sticky goo. Maybe you should have asked about specific brands or types and you probably would have got more answers to your likeing.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

I have no experience with 5-shot air pistols, other than to have been fortunate enough to have been loaned one a couple of times for a few trial shots. That having been said, I've found that JSB Schak pellets are very good for their price point. They don't come in different sizes, only the nominal 4.5mm, and there's no lot numbering. Their weights vary by quite a bit as compared to high-end match pellets. And their cost is about 60-75% of high-end pellets like H&N Finale Match. Some of my best test groups fired from my vise-held LP10 were shot with Schak's. Go figure!
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Mark Briggs wrote:I have no experience with 5-shot air pistols, other than to have been fortunate enough to have been loaned one a couple of times for a few trial shots. That having been said, I've found that JSB Schak pellets are very good for their price point. They don't come in different sizes, only the nominal 4.5mm, and there's no lot numbering. Their weights vary by quite a bit as compared to high-end match pellets. And their cost is about 60-75% of high-end pellets like H&N Finale Match. Some of my best test groups fired from my vise-held LP10 were shot with Schak's. Go figure!
Hey Mark how's it going. Basically the Shaks are the same as the JSB matah pellets they just skip the sorting so really quality wise they are the same just not sorted. If you have lots of time you could get a case of Shaks and hand sort them.
rogerv

Post by rogerv »

C'mon you guys, at least test the cheap pellets

I have had very good accuracy from RWS Hobby pellets, they grouped only the slightest bit larger than Nygord "World Champion" in my tests and were the best pellet I tested in two different guns.

I just ordered three sleeves of RWS Basic (GECO). In my machine rest testing they grouped right in there with most match pellets and the price from Champion Shooters Supply is very low.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

rogerv wrote:C'mon you guys, at least test the cheap pellets

I have had very good accuracy from RWS Hobby pellets, they grouped only the slightest bit larger than Nygord "World Champion" in my tests and were the best pellet I tested in two different guns.

I just ordered three sleeves of RWS Basic (GECO). In my machine rest testing they grouped right in there with most match pellets and the price from Champion Shooters Supply is very low.
Hey if spending hours testing pellets is what floats your boat, and if that is what you enjoy doing then go to it. I personally prefer just buying quality pellets and training.

People also have to understand there is a difference between low cost pellets from reputable manufactures and cheap pellets.

I suggest if you go through all this trouble testing buy by the case because you are going to find bigger differences between lot numbers from the same manufacture than between different manufactures.

I beleive Mr. Swartz discussed on another thread that the variation that most people are talking about is really not statistically significant and I tend to agree. (I was a Quality/Reliability Engineer and spent all day doing stats, maybe thats why I don't want to spend hours testing, it's too much like work).

Like I already said before the price difference between the top and the lower cost pellets is not great enough for me to waste my time testing pellets. (time is money).
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

My best competition scores with Hobby pellets:

Baikal 539
Steyr 545

Could I do better with more expensive pellets? Maybe, but I don't think so and I actually get a kick out of beating the guys who feed R10s into their guns. It is not that I am cheap, I just don't want to throw away money out of principle.
Mike S-J

Post by Mike S-J »

Confuscious say:

" Man who buys ferrari and complains about the price of gas should take up walking"

; )
IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

Mark, Roger and John,

Thanks for the info. That's the kind of information I was looking for on the cheaper pellets.

Stan
CharlesC

Post by CharlesC »

I have been shooting RWS Basic pellets lately and also find a little piece of loose lead on a lot of them too. It's usually on one side on top of the head. You can flick it off with your fingernail. Weights are variable too. I sort them for match shooting with a powder scale, setting off-weight ones to the side for practice. I'm not sure weight sorting makes any difference in my pitiful shooting scores but it does give me the satisfaction of feeling I have eliminated a variable.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Stan,

I forgot to mention, I get my Hobby cans from Midsouth ($3.94 ea.) It is the lowest price I have found and they are a pleasure to deal with.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/i ... 0622315037

Shoot well and shoot a lot and save your money for that Ferrari!
IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

JohnL wrote:Stan,

Shoot well and shoot a lot and save your money for that Ferrari!
Thanks, John. I have a spot reserved in my garage for a Porsche. I guess one day I'll take all my pellet savings and get one! ;-)

Stan