Help Finding a Mould

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
R.M.

Help Finding a Mould

Post by R.M. »

Well, I'm about at my whit's end. Lee discontinued a mould that I want, and yet I just know that there's a shop out there somewhere that has one sitting on the shelf all covered with dust. I've about tried everything I can think of. I've Googled, and searched the internet, but I keep coming up empty-handed.
What I'm asking, is the next time you're snooping around your favorite reloading shop, take a peak and see if they happen to have a Lee
TL314-85-WC, it's a .32 caliber double ended wadcutter of the tumblelube design, 85 grain. I have found this bullet to be excellent in my 2 Walthers. Trouble being, I'm wearing my 2 cav. mould out and would like to find another one. I should have bought a 6 cavity when they were available, but as you know, hindsight's 20-20.
I'm going to post this on a couple of different boards, and hope that somebody will run across one and notify me.

TIA
R.M.
James Hurr

Lee Moulds

Post by James Hurr »

Lee run a custom mould service, if you're desperate you cna have one made.
As it was an old stock item is there a chance they would waive the setup fee? They should have a cutter already.
dhurt

Post by dhurt »

Yes indeedy, Lee will make it for you, I called them, and even though it is a discontinued model, the woman I talked to said it would still be $100 set up fee (if memory serves). If anyone finds out differently, please let me know. Yes indeedy, this is a great mold and shoots very well in my Walther as well. I even use this bullet for 50 yards. I don't know the exact group size, but at least ten ring, it shoots tons better than any hollow base wadcutter I have tried. Even at 25 meters, some wadcutters look like they hit a little tippy, not this molded bullet.
My two cavity is a little worn as well. Maybe if a few guys would like to get some 6 cavity molds, we could split the cost of the set up.
Anyone have experience with this bullet out of a Pardini?? Good luck, nice to see another person having good luck with this mold, I don't know why they would drop it from their line?
jigmeb

32. wadcutter molds

Post by jigmeb »

Hi,
I shoot with Pardini pistols and have tried the Lee bullet mould youre talking about and yes it works great but I have also tried a couple more bullets that work fine. Midwayusa sells a RCBS 32 cal.WC (.314) 98wt. mold that also works fine in my pardini, I think that with a good sizing and lub this can work for you guys. Have you tried talking with the Lee factory sales people they perhaps can help you with youre mold.

Happy shooting,

jigmeb.
James Hurr

Flat base wadcutters

Post by James Hurr »

I always had better results with flat base wadcutters than hollow, both in terms of accuracy and yawing.
Not sure why.
pistoleroo

.32 S&W L wad cutter cast bullet

Post by pistoleroo »

In about 1995 i bought, at the the same time, two 6-cavity "gang moulds" of this very Lee bullet.
One mould was way oversice, casting bullets of abot .317 diameter. The outher did (and do) cast bullets of useable size.
There was a lot of trouble maiking the screw of the mould stay put. I had to drill and install lock scews for the bolt holding the cutterplate down. The anodized cutterplate was much harder than the alu mold body. After a few thousand bullets the mould showed serere signs of (premature) wear.

By the way, I have owned, and used, moulds by the houndreds, in calibers from .25 to .500. Most steel molulds, but a dozen mould from the now discontinued NEI (Later NEI tooldyne) made in alu. And some Lee moulds.
I have had my best casting experiences using steel (and steel-bronze alloy) moulds.

The LEE 84 gns tl (tumble-lube) slug was marked with an asterix in the Lee catalog, and indication of "good accuracy reported".
Well, i have used better .32 casts than this one. I have not found it acceptably accurate in any .32 match-class gun. I use teh slug for rapid fireexercises only.

Rather, go for the SAECO (now REDDING) wadcutter mould in .32. More money, yes, but well spendt.
A alternative is to have MAGMA make a .32 mould for you (yes, they do make moulds for manual use too, not only for mashines.)