Beginning Pistol (Benelli MP95E?)

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
ROTCGuns

Beginner Sport pistols

Post by ROTCGuns »

Looking to move the local shooting team from plinkers to the next level. Does anyone have any experience with the Benelli MP95E. I want something that the new shooters can try to at least get a feel for how it feels to use a real competition pistol without breaking my bank account. Any other suggestions. We now shoot a mix of Rugers, High Standards and a couple Smith 41's.
ROTCGuns

Beginning Pistol (Benelli MP95E?)

Post by ROTCGuns »

I think I posted this in the wrong place last time-

Looking to move the local shooting team from plinkers to the next level. Does anyone have any experience with the Benelli MP95E. I want something that the new shooters can try to at least get a feel for how it feels to use a real competition pistol without breaking my bank account. Any other suggestions. We now shoot a mix of Rugers, High Standards and a couple Smith 41's.
xeye

Re: Beginning Pistol (Benelli MP95E?)

Post by xeye »

ROTCGuns wrote:I think I posted this in the wrong place last time-

Tried one. prefer my High standard. It is a bargain priced full comp gun, though.

Most people bitch about the grip angle. 9me too 0

Re: Beginner Sport pistols

Post by Guest »

ROTCGuns wrote:...Does anyone have any experience with the Benelli MP95E.
The Benelli guns do not have a reputation for reliability and quality. Neither the MP)95E or the AP, the "Kite".
There have been som issues regarding the trigger, and feeding/ejection (MP)95E). This has improved some recently, though.

The "Kite" simply seems to suffer from less than perfect manufacturing. No less.
F. Paul in Denver

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

Consider the Hammerli Trailside series.

I dont think they are much of an upgrade over a Ruger unless you get the Larry Carter version which includes an excellent trigger job among some other other worthwhile upgrades.

Contact Larry Carter at www.larrysgun.com

F. Paul
Misny

Post by Misny »

Sadly the Trailside is out of production and so therefore is the "Signature Series" Trailside by Larry Carter. They were an excellent pistol.

Consider the Pardini if the slant grip isn't an issue.
F. Paul in Denver

This information is provided by Larry Carter of Larry's Guns. You can reach Larry at: www.larrysgun.com

<<The Trailside is no longer imported by Sigarms. That said, we are trying to get the Hammerli Xesse (cousin to the Trailside) imported. This may take some time with the new owners of Hammerli moving all the inventory and equipment to Germany. We do have the Benelli MP95 available and I would certainly do what I could for an educational program. Larry>>

F. Paul in Denver
Russ

HAMMERLI TRAILSIDE In stock...

Post by Russ »

Hammerli Products 1230240 In Stock

http://www.champchoice.com/

!!SPECIAL!! HAMMERLI TRAILSIDE $570.00

Post by Guest »

ROTC,

I've been doing a lot of research for a new Bullseye pistol myself and I've heard/read nothing but good things about the MP95. I'm still on the fence about it. Main concern, as with all the Euro guns I suppose, is what if the distibutor (Larry'sGuns) stops carrying them? Need service, parts, then what? Other than that, and somewhat pricey extra mags...
I was just at a show where a dealer had a used one for sale. I asked him about it and he said he shoots year-round in leagues and has an MP95 and Smith 41. Once he got the 95, the Smith never left the case. Finally cleaned the Benelli at the end of his 13 week league, no reliability problems. Also, the grip angle is great. Makes the gun feel like an extension of your arm. If you're used to a "1911 style" grip angle, it'll seem extreme. But it really put the weight into the base of your palm and makes it much easier to hold. Sorry for rambling. Do searches for "MP95" on rimfirecentral and thehighroad forums for some great feedback. Good luck shopping!
F. Paul in Denver

Damn it - I did it again. The link to Larry's Guns is:

www.larrysguns.com

F. Paul in Denver
K5Tangos

Post by K5Tangos »

I have been shooting an MP90S in .22 and a MP95 in .32 for about a year. Other than the grips and trigger, they appear to be functionally identical.

The MP95 ambi grips were narrow, slippery, and an odd shape that allowed the gun to shift after each round. They were essentially useless, and I quickly replaced them with a set of factory Nill grips that come standard on the MP90.

I have been very pleased with the performance of both pistols. Only one issue has ever appeared - the MP90 began doubling occasionally with Federal and Eley ammo. I was at Camp Perry, and Mr. Carter indicated that the headspace on the Benellis is typically very tight. Five minutes and a few taps with the mallet backed out the barrel sleeve a wee bit, and it's been running like a champ since then. (Thanks Mr. Carter!)

I have bench rested both pistols with scopes, and both hold the X ring at 50 yards. The .32 can be a finicky eater, but the .22 shoots anything I put in front of it very well.

In the last year, I don't ever recall a misfeed, failure to extract, or failure to eject after about 5,000 through each gun.

I'm not particularly fond of the shape of the MP95 trigger shoe, which is not adjustable for position. It's has significantly more arc in it than the MP90 trigger face, and forces my finger to the exact center of the shoe where it feels just a little out of alignment. The whole trigger assembly can be replaced with the MP90 trigger group, however. (Next on my list.....)

Overall, I would highly recommend the MP pistols, with the exception of the factory MP95 grips. Morini, Rink, and Nill all make excellent replacements for the gun. I'm not sure where the "unreliable" and "inaccurate" comments posted here are coming from, but I certainly haven't experienced it.

Keith