Junior air pistols

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
topshot

Junior air pistols

Post by topshot »

What are the smallest precision air pistols made that are decent quality? This would be for my 8 year old. I have a Daisy 747 now, which isn't all that small or accurate.
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

I think you would be hard pressed to find anything better than the Czech made BRNO Tau 7 Junior.

http://www.pilkguns.com/pi1.htm#t7jr
cdf

Post by cdf »

The TAU junior ( our host carries them ) are about as small as it gets . They are CO2 ( bulk or cartridge ) . I dont know how much leeway you would have re: grip mods to fit small hands .

Chris
crrmeyer

Re: Junior air pistols

Post by crrmeyer »

topshot wrote:What are the smallest precision air pistols made that are decent quality? This would be for my 8 year old. I have a Daisy 747 now, which isn't all that small or accurate.
The TAU-7 is a nice light CO2 match pistol. If you want compressed air, the SAM K-9 (weight: 780 gr) or not surprisingly similar Matchguns MG-1 light (weight: 765 gr) may be an option. The standard grips are pretty small. They are more expensive than the TAU-7 though.

Charles

Pictures:

http://www.targetshooting.ca/graphics/e ... SAM-K9.jpg

http://www.matchguns.com/images/pr_mg1LightOriginal.jpg
dflast

Post by dflast »

Consider also the Steyr LP2 Jr (available from our host) It's light, the x-small grip fits a child's hand, and dry fire is a snap. When I was shopping for an AP for my daughter, it and the Tau jr were the practical choices on account of availability, and the LP2 won out because of dry-fire simplicity, the fact that I'm already invested in compressed air, and that I'm entirely happy with the full-sized one.

I'm curious at how little attention and respect the LP2 seems to get on this forum. It seems every bit as accurate as big brother LP10 and cousin LP@, giving away only the recoil control tweaks of barrel porting and moving bolt mass, and possibly having an advantage in trigger feel over them on that account.

David
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

The LP2 junior compact has gained great popularity in the UK with junior shooters.

It has certainly proved accurate and junior shooters are responding very well. One of our development squad (15y female, eight months ISSF AP shooting) posted a very competent 530 at the weekend.

Replacement grips enable the pistol to “grow” with the shooter and we have already needed to step-up grip sizes for a few. The is a buoyant second user market for these so parents are happy to invest in a slightly more expensive pistol. The unit comes with a single cylinder in the UK so a large consignment of additional cylinders is a regular factory shipment.

The cost is very competitive even though the GBP has weakened to the Euro.
Jay V

Post by Jay V »

dflast wrote:Consider also the Steyr LP2 Jr (available from our host) It's light, the x-small grip fits a child's hand, and dry fire is a snap. When I was shopping for an AP for my daughter, it and the Tau jr were the practical choices on account of availability, and the LP2 won out because of dry-fire simplicity, the fact that I'm already invested in compressed air, and that I'm entirely happy with the full-sized one.

I'm curious at how little attention and respect the LP2 seems to get on this forum. It seems every bit as accurate as big brother LP10 and cousin LP@, giving away only the recoil control tweaks of barrel porting and moving bolt mass, and possibly having an advantage in trigger feel over them on that account.

David
I would have to agree, the LP-2 Jr is an excellent gun for juniors or anyone that prefers a smaller lighter gun.

Our junior program have 6 of them. We have never had a problem. Grips are available for all hand sizes. They are top-notch, and very well suited for upper intermediate-level shooters. The LP-10 does have a few more bells and whistles you might want, but the LP-2 has everything you really need.

Jay V
IL
AIAC
crrmeyer

Post by crrmeyer »

dflast wrote:Consider also the Steyr LP2 Jr (available from our host) It's light, the x-small grip fits a child's hand, and dry fire is a snap. When I was shopping for an AP for my daughter, it and the Tau jr were the practical choices on account of availability, and the LP2 won out because of dry-fire simplicity, the fact that I'm already invested in compressed air, and that I'm entirely happy with the full-sized one.

David
The LP2 junior is a pretty light air pistol. I was searching on the web and finally found one site listing its weight at 710 g with the universal grip.

Charles