Swedish shooting tradition?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

dhurt

Swedish shooting tradition?

Post by dhurt »

It seems there are some very good shooters from Sweden and there are several TT posters, as well. I live in an Iowa town with a strong Swedish heritage. My question, has Sweden always had a strong shooting tradition or is shooting a more recent tradition? Thanks, Dwaine
Hap Rocketto

Swedes and Shooting

Post by Hap Rocketto »

Mr. Hurt,

Johan von Holst made an appearance in the 1906 Olympics and medalled in 1912 along with Paul Palen, three other Swedes finished in the top eight in the rapid fire pistol event. In 1924 Wilhelm Carlberg went head on head with Henry Bailey, a US Marine, through a series of shoot offs only to place second. Torsten Ullman won the bronze in the 36 games and placed 4th in 48.

In Free Pistol, Georg de Lavel and Erik Bostrom placed 4th and 5th in 1912. Anders Andresson was 6th in 20, Trosten Ullman won gold and bronze in 36 and 48 and placed 6th in 56, just ahead of Ake Lindblom. Ulman was 4th in Rome in 60 while Lief larson was 7th in 64.

In prone rifle Erik Bostrom was 8th in 1912, Victor Knutsson was 7th in 24, Bertil Ronnmark was 8th in 36, Jonas Johnsson ws 3rd in 48. in 84 Hans Starnd was 6th, and Peter Gabrielsson was 7th in 92 and 7th in 3P. In 3P Uno Berg was 7th in 52, Anders Kvissberg 8th in 56, Sven Johansson was 5th at Montreal and 3rd in Moscow.

They have also done well in moving target and 300 meters.

In Olympic competition Oscar Swahn is the oldest person to ever medal in the Olympics. He was just short of his 65th birthday when he placed in running deer in 1912.

From Olympic evidence alone I would say they have a long standing tradition of excellence in the shooting sport. I have no idea how they have done in other international and European competition, but I am sure it mirrors the Olympic experience.

Regards,

Hap
Tony C.

Post by Tony C. »

You can added to the list:

Ragnar Skanaker, Gold medal Free Pistol 1972 Olympic.

Sven Johansson, Bronze medal, Free Rifle;Lars Goeran Carlsson Silver medal, Skeet, 1980 Olympic.

Ragnar Skanaker, Silver medal, Free Pistol 1984 Olympic.

Ragnar Skanaker, Silver medal,Free Pistol 1988 Olympic.

Ragnar Skanaker(again!) Bronze medal, Free Pistol 1992 Olympic.

Pia Hansen, Gold medal, Woman Double Trap 2000 Olympic.

Jonas Edman, Gold medal, Free Rifle Prone 2000 Olympic.

In 20 years Mr. Skanaker alone has won 4 Olympic medals in Free Pistol, that's some accomplishment.
jpach

Post by jpach »

According to olympic.org, "At age 72, Swedish shooter Oscar Swahn earned a silver medal in the team double-shot running deer event to become the oldest medalist ever. "
Hap Rocketto

Swedish Olympians

Post by Hap Rocketto »

jpach,

My source was David Wallechinsky's "Summer Olympics" 1996 ediion.

65 is good, 72 is better.

Regards.

Hap
dhurt

Post by dhurt »

Many thanks for the in depth replies. Very interesting that one can still compete succesfully at "older" ages, gives me hope that I may still get there in the future.
TonyLong

Post by TonyLong »

Tony C. wrote:You can added to the list:

Ragnar Skanaker, Gold medal Free Pistol 1972 Olympic.

Sven Johansson, Bronze medal, Free Rifle;Lars Goeran Carlsson Silver medal, Skeet, 1980 Olympic.

Ragnar Skanaker, Silver medal, Free Pistol 1984 Olympic.

Ragnar Skanaker, Silver medal,Free Pistol 1988 Olympic.

Ragnar Skanaker(again!) Bronze medal, Free Pistol 1992 Olympic.

Pia Hansen, Gold medal, Woman Double Trap 2000 Olympic.

Jonas Edman, Gold medal, Free Rifle Prone 2000 Olympic.

In 20 years Mr. Skanaker alone has won 4 Olympic medals in Free Pistol, that's some accomplishment.
I guess they've been at it for a while then! Some cracking shots comig out of ex-Soviet states too.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

And Skanaker would have competed in Athens as well, if he'd been allowed to by the Swedish shooting federation. Would have made him the oldest olympian I believe.

Rob.