Pellet weights

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Neil Foster

Pellet weights

Post by Neil Foster »

I would like a clarification on pellet weights. As I understand it there are two different weights. What are usually referred to as Rifle pellets (.53 gram/8.18 grains) and Pistol Pellets (.49 gram/7.56 grains). I read somewhere (it may have been on TT) that was for the older pneumatic guns primarily. And that the newer CA pistols would use the heavier pellets. Am I correct? What do most of you use in your air pistols that are compressed air types?
Thanks,
Neil

And Nicole if you read this your post on sexism in shooting sure stirred up a "hornets nest" of opinions. Everyone has an opinion like everyone has a belly button (I modified the old cliche since you are a lady :-) )
I think it is a hoot, and may go down as the longest post in history. It looks like it is now into 7 pages of "opinions".
NF
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

The lighter pellets have gone by many names under differrent manufactures (rifle vs pistol vs High Speed vs Light vs Heavy). Most modern pre-charged match quality pistol have no problem shooting the heavier pellets at a speed which gives consistent groups. That being said I've have shot pistol pellets in my LP10P and they seemed to group fine the difference in grouping is usually very small. the only way to find out for sure is to actually bench test the different ammo in your pistol.

Personally I just buy a good supply of high quality pellets (of the same lot number) on concentrate on training rather then waste my time testing pellets for differences which are really insignificant as compared to ther error that the shooter actually imparts on the shot.
Last edited by Richard H on Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cdf

Post by cdf »

Ditto !

Chris