Another "which is best?" question...

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Mike S-J

Another "which is best?" question...

Post by Mike S-J »

I currently shoot a (second-hand) Walther CPM-1 (CO2) and have the opportunity to swap it (more-or-less) for a second hand Steyr LP1 (CO2).

In an ideal world I would try them out side-by-side and make a judgment, but I can't. If I decide to go for the Steyr I have to post off the Walther.

SO you see my dilema: I can't answer the REAL question: "which one suits my shooting best?"
Frankly I have NO interest in the financial consequences (i.e. which one is worth more): I WILL have to get a new Rink grip for the Steyr, but so what?

So my dilema is (as a novice) should I swap a gun I like (in the absence of ANY knowledge of any other gun) for one I don't know but that has a better reputation and so MAY afford my better development prospects. I gather the Steyr is more 'adjustable' but am not sure whether I am good enough yet to make use of such tweeking.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Mike,
One thing the LP1 offers is the conversion to compressed air. That may or may not be a feature for you. I converted mine.

I am a new AP shooter (two yrs), but have been able to take advantage of the adjustable grip as well as the many front and rear sight adjustments.

Hope these comments help you in making a decision.

Fred
cdf

Post by cdf »

The LP1 in either Co2 or PCP is one of the all time classic target air pistols . The trigger on the 1 is among the best mechanical triggers out there . My gut call( as both a CPM1 and LP1 lover ), would be to go with the LP1 . I feel your dilema , I own an LP10 , and lust after both the CPM1 and LP1.

Chris
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Having shot both the CPM-1 and LP-1 (and owning an LP-1), I can agree with the opinions expressed above. I would profer the following information for your consideration, and perhaps to make your decision a bit easier...

1) both pistols feature excellent design and craftsmanship - hard to pick one over the other for those reasons
2) the LP-1 is much more nose-heavy than the CPM-1, and doubley so if it has steel cylinders. Balance may be an important consideration for you. The vertical tank of the CPM-1 is a great benefit for those of us who like a pistol that's light in the nose.
3) LP-1 and CPM-1 were both offered without compensators early in the manufacturing cycle. Whichever pistol you choose, you want the compensator. If the LP-1 doesn't have the compensator, pass up on the deal - the compensator makes the pistol much more "shootable". If your CPM-1 has the laser-drilled holes in the barrel, hang on to it - you'll be hard-pressed to find a better-shooting pistol.
4) Of the LP-1's and CPM-1's that I've seen they all seem to prefer a heavier pellet (my LP-1 shoots H&N Finale Match Glatt rifle pellets very, very well).
5) Walther's support of their older pistols is starting to get spotty. In North America it's very difficult to get some parts, and I know of at least two shooters here who have had national team members bring back bits and pieces from the Walther booth at the Munich World Cup. The pistol is a very durable design, but like the LP-1 and any other pistol, there are parts that eventually wear out and need to be replaced. Fortunately many of the internal parts of the P-1 are common to the LP-10, so parts supply for the Steyr seems to be a little more assured.
6) This last comment is somewhat controversial... I'm certain there are folks out there who, when they read this, will tell me I'm just plain crazy. When I converted my LP-1 to compressed air it never was able to achieve the same tight group size as when it was powered by Co2, despite massive tweaking of velocity, and trying about 15 different pellet types. I've since switched it back to Co2 and the groups are back to their fantastically small size.

There's no sin in having multiple pistols - if you can swing it, keep the Walther and pick up the Steyr. My bet is that even after several years of shooting both of them you still won't be able to make a choice between them!
cdf

Post by cdf »

If your Walther has the "drilled "barrel stick with it . The one I have a nodding aquaintence with is an early un drilled one , and it's still a superb shooter .

It's sad to see how the quality of Walther's offering seem to have fallen by the wayside . It's even sadder to to find that support for these great old guns is drying up . You kind of wonder what would happen if some of the old classics were re-issued ?

There were rumors that ported barrels were/are available on special order .

Chris
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

cdf wrote:If your Walther has the "drilled "barrel stick with it . The one I have a nodding aquaintence with is an early un drilled one , and it's still a superb shooter .

It's sad to see how the quality of Walther's offering seem to have fallen by the wayside . It's even sadder to to find that support for these great old guns is drying up . You kind of wonder what would happen if some of the old classics were re-issued ?

There were rumors that ported barrels were/are available on special order .

Chris
As for the talk about support, support for all target pistols in Canada is not that great. Some dealers in Canada are very good and try their best and then some of the others it seems like more of a sideline. I've always received great support for my Walthers from Earl's down in the States for the most part I don't even waste my time with the Walther dealers in Canada for parts. That reminds me about 2 years ago I want a spare firing pin for my GSP and left my number and they were going to call me when they came in, hmmm still no call (I did call numerous time). Same for seals for my LG10, two calls, numerous emails and still no seals. These are 2 different dealers and probably the 2 largest in Canada. Don't worry I did get all my parts through other avenues.
guesting

Post by guesting »

I have owned and fired extensively both the Walther and the Steyr models in question.
This comparison is unfair to the Steyr, cause it is so far ahead of the Walther in quality.
Walther pistols, especially the trigger units of the APs and CO2s are suffering from engineering shortcomings. Severely so.
Go for the Steyr, I´d say.
Eccatfud

Post by Eccatfud »

I would highly recommend the Steyr LP1. I purchased one in 1992 and still use it today. I have fired most of the Olympic grade air pistols on the market, but the Steyr still gets my preference. None had the comfort of grip angle or ease of aiming as the LP1. After over 100,000 rounds it still shoots as well as it did brand new. The LP1 is extremely balanced and the trigger is absolutely a dream. It even helped me win 2 Junior Championships and a NRA Junior National Record in 1994. I would not trade my LP1 for anything. Hope this helps.
Mike S-J

Post by Mike S-J »

Thanks for all the feedback on this thread - it has been really useful.

I made my mind up and went for the LP1 only to discover that by hanging on this thread's every word I had been gazumped by someone who KNEW it was a bargain! Drat and double drat.

However, the pistol fairy was kind to me - a UK national shooter whose wife tried pistol and didn't like it (taken up badminton instead!?) was selling her almost new LP10 with an untouched CM grip in my size!

Needless to say I was in there like Larry. Even though I couldn't really afford it (50% over my budget) I don't think I will regret it.

My plan (as suggested by readers of this forum on another thread) was to reward myself with a new pistol when I was shooting 540. Well, as they say, "chance favours the prepared" - so I lept in with both feet and most of my bank balance - no holiday this year.

I just hope this new pistol doesn't like shooting into the 7 ring as much as my old one!

Thanks again to all posters for the advice on this thread.

Anyone want to buy a pristine CPM-1?
cdf

Post by cdf »

I think you made the right call . Love it or hate it , I dont see anyone denying that the Lp10 is a world class pistol .If it wasn't for the problems people have shipping pistol shaped objects to Canada , I know several who would be interested in your CPM1 .

Chris