How to train for RF at home?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jigmeb

Post by jigmeb »

Hi,
I just started shooting RF, I wanted to know how can I train rapid fire at home, is there another target turning system besides the rika or has any one invented some new way to dry fire through the targets?
Help please,

Thank you,

Jigmeb.
Alex L

Post by Alex L »

Hi.
I made my own set of R/F targets to use at home, which I use with an electronic switch magnet. It operates on the normal house power.
I have a One Minute clock, which has a disc fitted to the end of the motor.
The disc is made up like a cam, and each cam has a micro switch. The cam is set to the time sequences - 8 seconds, 6 seconds and 4 seconds.
The micro switch controls the magnet switch, which pulles the 5 mini targets to face me for the required time, then they face away with a normal spring.
There is a switch to control which time sequence I want to have.

Actually, recently, instead of using the turning targets, I can use lights - red and green, it indicate the sequences. This would be a help if you are training for International matches.

The targets are reduced Air Pistol targets, with a white line across as the guide line. I would be able to take a photo of the set-up, if you send me your email address, so I can send a photo as an attachment. I don't know how to send a photo on this Target-Talk site.

I have used these targets for the last 30 years. The only thing I needed to change were the new targets.

I can also set it up for 3sec/7sec duelling to practice for C/F.

I am not an electrician, but was able to make this set of targets work ok!!

Let me know if you need more information.
Regards, Alex L.
James Hurr

RF Practice

Post by James Hurr »

- Make a Powerpoint presentation and use a laptop (I must do that myself.... then I will post it here)

- Take a video of a match and use your 50" plasma screen. Just be sure you're unloaded....

PS When writing a message scroll down and you will see the window for adding an attachment.
Nicole Hamilton

Post by Nicole Hamilton »

Do you really find that having actual turning targets is that important? I don't.

In the clubs in Massachusetts, where I used to shoot NRA .22 BE, none of them had turning targets and simply used a horn to announce the start and end of the timed and rapid strings. I didn't encounter actual turning targets until I moved out here to Washington.

My sense is that the only real advantage of turning targets is that it eliminates the possibility of early and late shots and any arguments over who was early or late. In a match, that matters, especially if you're dealing with some shooters who don't like to 'fess up to their mistakes. Other than that, I really can't see much difference in the experience of TF and RF with or without turning targets.

Seems to me that the biggest problem in doing really well in TF and RF is spacing out your shots to make best use of the time you're given. If you're practicing by yourself, using just a recording (e.g., on an iPod, played through earphones under your muffs) to call it, why do you need turning targets? Won't you know if you were early or late (or too darn close)? I think the bigger problem trying to practice TF and RF by yourself isn't about doing it without turning targets, it's trying to do it without the noise and stress of everyone else on the line also blasting away in those same 10 or 20 seconds.
Mike McDaniel

Post by Mike McDaniel »

It depends. If you are training for NRA bullseye, you are OK. International RF is MUCH faster paced - you've got 4 seconds to bring the gun up, fire a shot at each of 5 targets, and have the shot hit. Which means that reaction time is no longer a negligible factor.

We know that the human brain normally responds faster to visual than to audio cues, and faster still to simultaneous visual and audio cueing. A turning RF bay is often fairly loud, and having five targets face simultaneously is a generous visual cue. Relying on a tape or shot timer (what I use) isn't as fast to trigger the brain.

On the other hand, if you are fast enough with audio cueing alone, you will have perhaps 0.05 seconds extra on a full-up Olympic RF bay. Which is no bad thing when shooting a 4-second string.
Nicole Hamilton

Post by Nicole Hamilton »

Thank you, Mike. You're right. I've never shot international RF and hadn't been aware (or even considered) it might be so much faster than NRA RF.
Dick Poore

Post by Dick Poore »

Target timers has a AP rapid fire bay you can use in your basement. Link below...Dick Poore

http://targettimers.com/rapid1.html