Marines changing

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
deleted1

Marines changing

Post by deleted1 »

I attended a free pistol match this past weekend and the topic of conversation got around to the fact that the USMC pistol team is dropping the Hammerli 280s and will be turning to the Feinwerkbau AW 93 for their rimfire gun. It seems that the parts are running out for the gun and since they have a large supply of the Hammerli guns they also need a good supply of parts. No words as to what their armorers are going to do to these AW93's, to juice them up but time will tell---cannot wait to hear more about this from Perry or the Lobster Match and see what has transpired. Once again the ultimate demise of the "Hammerli" branch of SIG Arms is being foretold as one by one it seems as if SIG is determined to finish the job sooner than later IMHO. They certainly have produced any world beaters in years---since they discontinued the 280s and the 160 FP. The SP20 has got fragility problems and the Trailside is a laugher for the serious shooter even with Larry Carter's "updates.", after all how many 208s trigger groups are out there??? Too bad----!!!
Misny

Post by Misny »

Bob,

Can you be specific as to what faults you find with Larry Carter's Signature series Trailside? Did you know that Hammerli has been sold and is no longer under Sigarms?
bicohen

Post by bicohen »

Bob,

Do you know what the fate of the old 208S's will be?

Barry Cohen
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

bicohen wrote:Do you know what the fate of the old 208S's will be?
I thought they were 280s
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

I've seen them many times, they are indeed 208s pistols.

Richard
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

GOVTMODEL wrote:I've seen them many times, they are indeed 208s pistols.
My apologies, I read 280 in the original post.

I am suprised they are running short of spares for 208s, they hardly ever need any.
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

Hi there Dave, we haven't talked in a long time---good to be back. They have used the 208s for a while now and with the amount of use they give them---parts do go even with that gun. They were running out of trigger parts mainly and the armorers apparently couldn't machine their own---Quien Sabe? As for the Trailside that Larry sold---, his replacement of the trigger mechanism with parts from the 208s did add to the guns ability to shoot. Quite apparently from around where I live on Long Island, it has not caught on---we have three Trailsides and one Carter Trailside in our club. The Carter model was purchased by one of our High Master shooters and he gave it up within two weeks---just didn't suit him. The others are owned by beginners and they are quite happy just to hit paper---I haven't heard any great complaints except for crankiness with the magazines and failure to stay open after the fifth shot. As for their longevity I spoke to one former owner that after about a year the gun just ceased to function properly---going full auto a la IZH35---it had a couple of trips to SIG and came back each time worse than before. I have'nt seen this guy for awhile so I cannot quote anything further. I think it's just the SIGification of long dead Hammerli. We could go on forever, but I don't see anything wrong with the gun looks wise---it's "feel" isn't my cup of tea---but that's no criterion. I'm a Pardini nut----
Misny

Post by Misny »

Jim Henderson won the .22 match at the last National Pistol Championships at Camp Perry using a Larry Carter "Signature" series Trailside. He set a new national record at the same time. The "Signature" series Trailsides are selected for 50 meter accuracy before being built. The test groups typically run under .8" at 50 meters. Two guys at our club have the "Signature" series Trailsides and shoot them regularly with no problems. I guess the point is moot for now, as the Trailsides aren't available and Larry Carter hasn't had any for quite some time. I thought the "Signature" an excellent option for a not so outrageous price. The 2 stage triggers on the "Signature" series custom guns was nice. I never owned one as I already am heavily invested in two Hammerli 208s'.