How to select AP pellets?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
mtds

How to select AP pellets?

Post by mtds »

In December I got out my FWB 80 and I’ve been shooting daily since then (and having a great time.) For me, right now, a good string is nine out of ten shots inside the eight ring. Some days I think I don’t need pellets at all, and I’d do just as well with pebbles!

I’ve pretty much run through all the miscellaneous pellets I had laying around. I thought I had ten tins of H&N Match pellets stashed away, but it turned out it was ten tins of Beeman Silver Streaks. They’re obviously next to useless for my current interests, so I called our host and asked for some pellets. They suggested their Vogel Yellow Label for this old spring gun, and then asked me what size I wanted. I didn’t have a clue, so they sent me some of each size.

So, how does a shooter at this skill level choose a pellet?
cdf

Post by cdf »

If you have the original accessories look for the test target , it may have a make and a diameter . This is a good starting point . The diameter , and weight (if provided ) is probably more important than the manufacturer . Any good clean , consistant pellet of the appropriate diameter will probably produce similar results ( you will need a fixed rest to see any significant difference ) . Pellet diameters range from about 4.48 up thru 4.52 , diameter , and sometimes weight are printed on a label affixed to the back of the tin .

A lot of newer pistols prefer match rifle pellets ( a wee bit heavier ) , some older SSP and spring pistols like match pistol pellets . My battery likes 4.49 , and dont seem to care who the manufacturer is , As a result I now use less expensive , but high quality JSB pellets . H&N , RWS , Vogel etc will prolly work great for you .

Dont get to hung up on testing , it's great fun but ... the biggest performance inhibitor is the nut on the but .

Hopes this helps more than confuses you .

Chris