which one is the best? LP10 or 162MI? 162EI

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
bbsll

which one is the best? LP10 or 162MI? 162EI

Post by bbsll »

i wanna aske... which on the best air pistol??
LP10? the newest model of styer, the gold medal in 2004 athen.
or 162EI of morini? or 162MI?
i used walther LP300 before, but the trigger weight .....very unstable.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

This has been covered many times before.

There is no such thing as "the best".

All that you can hope for is "the best for you".

The pistols you mentioned are all capable of winning medals in any competition. You need to find the one that makes it the easiest for you to shoot consistently well. The only way you will do that is to try them.
cdf

Post by cdf »

It is a question of how you feel about "recoil" reduction vs. very fine electronic trigger . If you are new like me you may find the Morini less forgiving , you deffinaetly need better follow thru . The Styer has more adjustments , which may or may not be important to you . Try both if possible .

I couldn't decide , so after due diligence ; I bought both . They are both superb , I enjoy shooting the Morini more , but score better with the Styer .

Chris
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

There are about an equal number of Morini's and Steyrs among members of my club indicating that either the are both equally well liked or maybe its cuz more used Morini's have become available, since I think only one member has bought his morini new but all the steyrs were bought new... hmmmmmm

what do the other's in your club use?

there are advantages to having the same gun as everyone else in your club, there's always another fill adapter available if you forget yours, someone else has figured out how to adjust the trigger and knows how when you ask etc.

on the other hand if you get the opposite of what everyone in your club has then the NEXT guy to join will be able to try each before buying :)

or you can do like me and Chris Buy Both :)

what part of the world are you in?

Poole
http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/
dam8

Post by dam8 »

Best of both worlds...
I bought both, love both.
sold the Morrini to my brother, we can swap back and forth, but I'm having a hard time letting go of my lp1 I just love that thing.
Dan

Post by Dan »

I got myself a used LP10, after trying several in the club. The Target picture is more "stable" for my hand than with any other pistol. However my LP10 and both other i have tried in my club have a miserable creeping trigger. The ultimate pistol would probably consist of an lp10 with morini's el trigger. Since its impossible to say which component matters more to you - sight or trigger - its impossible to recommend one over the other.
psf32

Post by psf32 »

I use the morini with the eltronic trigger and find it far superior to the one on my lp5 and other mechanical triggers I have used on single shot pistols.

But I must say if I had got an lp1 first I would probably say that was the best gun to use. I think it is what you get use to before I got my morini I shot an twin master top and got up in the mid 540’s with it and at the time I would had said this was good as any of the top guns but after using the morini and then haveing a go of the old twin master I would say it was a dog.

I would agree with david and say its what suites you so try to have a go of both.

The only other thing I would say the basic grip on the morini seems to me anyway be far better than the ones on the LP10 but then you need to mod both for you.
Nicole Hamilton

Post by Nicole Hamilton »

Dan wrote:However my LP10 and both other i have tried in my club have a miserable creeping trigger.
That's a roll trigger and people pay money for that! :) More seriously, I think it's a matter of taste what sort of trigger you like. What I like best about my LP10P is that its trigger is very similar to the one in my Pardini SP, which also is a roll trigger with a tiny bit of creep, just enough to give a barely perceptible amount of feedback as you continue to increase pressure right up to the release.

What I think we have here is an example of the reason why there is no such thing as the "best air pistol." Best for whom?
cdf

Post by cdf »

I'm with Nicole on the roll in the trigger , I find a bit of roll in the second stage desirable if you want to gradually increase pressure as you stabalize in your area of aim . For me the Morini is a bit too crisp in the second stage, and I find it easy screw up the shot release . In great part it's a matter of preference .

Chris
Axel

Post by Axel »

Creepy triggers are just creepy IMHO. And there is no such thing as a TO dry/crispy trigger. Morinis electronic AP trigger is the best there is.

I own a Steyr LP10 and a Morini 162E. Both are nice pistols, but if I have to choose only one of them I would choose Morini without any doubt. Morinis trigger is far superior to Steyr - and Morinis overall feel is much better. Need I say that I shoot much better scores with Morini also...? :-)

My point is that there is no right or wrong when choosing between top level air pistols like Steyr and Morini. Try them both and choose the one that feels best for you
cdf

Post by cdf »

It's a bit like arguing about the merits of different 24 year old Scotch whiskeys . I feel very privaledged to have experienced both , and as a bonus our host supports both . Of the three mentioned in the original post , the one I don't see the appeal of is the 162M . The 162M makes as much sense as alcohol free Scotch .

Chris
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

cdf wrote:The 162M makes as much sense as alcohol free Scotch .
Not necessarily. If you like the balance and general feel of the Morini but need more grip angle adjustment than is available from the 162E then the 162M may be the way to go.
Andy Osborne

Post by Andy Osborne »

Just out of accuracy in the men’s 10m air pistol Wang Yifu won the Athens 2004 Olympics with a Steyr LP1. The ladies was won with a LP10 by Olena Kostevych.

I'm going to buy one or other of these pistols in the next few weeks, so I've found somewhere I can have a good look at both to help me choose.
I'm not sure I like the idea of all the extra complexity of the recoil stabiliser in the LP10, if it works exactly the same all the time that would be fine but I can't help thinking it will add the possibility of mechanical differences shot to shot.

Maybe less is better?

Andy
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Andy Osborne wrote:Just out of accuracy in the men’s 10m air pistol Wang Yifu won the Athens 2004 Olympics with a Steyr LP1. The ladies was won with a LP10 by Olena Kostevych.

I'm going to buy one or other of these pistols in the next few weeks, so I've found somewhere I can have a good look at both to help me choose.
I'm not sure I like the idea of all the extra complexity of the recoil stabiliser in the LP10, if it works exactly the same all the time that would be fine but I can't help thinking it will add the possibility of mechanical differences shot to shot.

Maybe less is better?

Andy
The stabiliser really isn't that complex and its been around for quite sometime so I wouldn't worry about that.

The LP1 does have a nicer trigger than the LP10. To make room for the stabiliser they had to move some of the trigger geometry around which changed the feel of the trigger. I do understand that there are some modifications that can be made to the length of a spring to make the LP10 trigger feel closer to the LP1 trigger ( Mark Briggs maybe you can elborate).

As for buying the pistol just because it was involved with the winning of a Gold medal in the Olympics is kind of silly. Yifu probably trains 6-7 days a week and shooting is a full time job. If you want similar results you would probably be better quiting your job and moving to China and finding a coach. The #1 Ranked AP shooter switches between a Steyr and a Benlli Kite, I don't see anyone rushing out to buy Kites. I also wouldn't assume the psitol you buy is identical to the one they use.
Last edited by Richard H on Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Axel

Post by Axel »

David Levene wrote:
Not necessarily. If you like the balance and general feel of the Morini but need more grip angle adjustment than is available from the 162E then the 162M may be the way to go.
Grips are adjusted with a dremel and plastic padding.
Andy Osborne

Post by Andy Osborne »

Richard H wrote: As for buying the pistol just because it was involved with the winning of a Gold medal in the Olympics is kind of silly. Yifu probably trains 6-7 days a week and shooting is a full time job. If you want similar results you would probably be better quiting your job and moving to China and finding a coach. The #1 Ranked AP shooter switches between a Steyr and a Benlli Kite, I don't see anyone rushing out to buy Kites. I also wouldn't assume the psitol you buy is identical to the one they use.
Lets face it the top shots are almost certainly well supplied by the manufacturers who just want to get their products onto our radar so I couldn't agree more.
I have no doubt the top shots could win matches with any decent 10m pistol.

I've short listed the pistols I've heard have the best support here in the UK so I don't have to wave bye bye as the pistol takes a lengthy holiday back to the manufacturer in case of a problem.
The final test will be which one seems to suit me best, although if I could afford it I would have one of each.

Andy
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Andy I'd have to think service of any of them would be better for you as you're at least in Europe, I'm stuck in Canada and everything is a long haul across the pond. Pistol wise, at an elite level Morini would be hands down the winner, always have excellent support at WC events, I think Walther would be on of the worst, everyone else falls in between. For Rifle I think Anschutz has the best support hopefully this will start to fall over into the Steyr line. Between the LP10,LP1 and the Morini you can't go wrong.

I have both an LP10 and LP5 and have used a few Morini's ( I prefer the short). I have considered on many times about picking up a Morini. I can understand why some would buy a Morini without the electronic trigger but to me its like buying a VW without a Turbo Diesel, its what makes them special.

Good luck and I'm sure any of them will serve you well.

Post by Guest »

Richard
Dont forget the LP@. Its basically an LP10 in different clothes.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

In Canada the price difference is only a couple of hundred dollars difference, so personally I see no real good reason to get a stripped down LP10 just to save $200 on an $1800 purchase, but thats just me.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Axel wrote:
David Levene wrote:
Grips are adjusted with a dremel and plastic padding.
Not to any great extent they aren't with the electronic. There is very little spare wood in the grip so mr dremmel can only be used with caution. You also cannot alter the grip angle for the same reason.

Rob.