I Don't Think Bullseye Subjects Belong on This Site

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Mac

Post by Mac »

Oh my goodness! BE is Olympic shooting. If I take a picture of someone on the line shooting BE and the same person shooting Olympic, one can not tell which is which. Let us not become too aristocratic.

Mac Michigan, U.S.A.
Mac; Michigan, USA
Don90250

Post by Don90250 »

Walter wrote:
dflast wrote:Walter, try http://www.bullseyepistol.com
David
Where's the forum?
Right-hand column, third link from the top.

BTW, it's a mailing list.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

dflast wrote:Walter, try http://www.bullseyepistol.com

Yes, we should stick to international shooting here. Bandwidth is not infinite and this site is slow enough without taking in everyone out there who's punching paper.

David
If Bandwidth is not infinite what are its finite limits?
Dave C.

Post by Dave C. »

Thanks for letting me know that my donation each year to the USAS
to help out the olympic shooters is no longer needed or wanted. I'll
use the fifty bucks to buy some new batteries for my red dot sights.

Dave C. in NEPA
Justin

Post by Justin »

I read the posts here because this seems to be the best forum for competitive pistol events. Bullseye-L is inadequate as it is an email-based forum, which is an obsolete medium.

Email lists are to internet communication as 8-track is to music.
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

For those interested, the BE List is also available on line for reveiw via its current archive at:

http://groups.google.com/group/Bullseye-L-Archive

Take Care,
Ed Hall
http://www.airforceshooting.org/
http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Dave C. wrote:Thanks for letting me know that my donation each year to the USAS
to help out the olympic shooters is no longer needed or wanted. I'll
use the fifty bucks to buy some new batteries for my red dot sights.

Dave C. in NEPA
Just ignore them, to most target shooting is target shooting, some people just like to have an air of superiority.
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

Okay, I'll bite..... do you folks think there should be a seperate category called Bullseye Pistol, or just leave well enough alone as it is now?
GOVTMODEL

Separate Bullseye section?

Post by GOVTMODEL »

IMHO, no, for several reasons.
a. Bullseye is the feeder program for USAS and will remain so for quite some time. Target Talk is a place for the Bullseye shooters to get acquainted with ISSF shooting.
b. Bullseye-L serves the needs of that community quite well, and lately, Bullseye-L doesn't actually spend much time talking about shooting.

Richard Ashmore
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

I agree with Richard. TT is fine just as it is.

As for Bullseye-L serving the needs of Bullseye shooters quite well - it is unfortuneate (for BE) that not one of the suppliers to that market has been willing to support a technically up to date forum the way that Scott has done for International.

Fred
Misny

Post by Misny »

Scott,

I'd like to see a bullseye pistol heading if it isn't too much trouble. I participate in both international and bullseye, albeit not very well. I check on this forum to learn about international shooting. I unsubscribed from Bullseye-L after many years because I wasn't getting much out of it the last few months and it took so much time to weed through the "noise". I also was concerned that I was getting a lot of junk e-mail and those with a virus attached.

A bullseye pistol heading at TT would allow me to skip it if I were so inclined and check on the other disciplines in which I have an interest on any particular day. This would limit my online 'puter time and that would be a good thing for me. It would leave me with more time to train which is what I need most.
Bob Fleming

Post by Bob Fleming »

Yes, I would like to participate in a Bullseye Pistol category on TT. The BE-L has an uncomfortable "signal to noise" ratio. That is why I made TT my home page. I have advanced somewhat past the stage of what oil or reload or other equipment is best and would like to see more technique related discussion. If the BE-L could at least ban the many rude trolls that clutter the list with so much junk I would be happy. I can not control that and think the BE community would be much better served by TT and your excellent moderation.
thank you,
Bob Fleming
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Bob:

I certainly don't mean to be disagreeable . . . but when was the last time we had a "technique" (as opposed to cleaning, modifying grips, which is best, etc.) discussion in this forum . . . ?

Yes, I also left Bullseye-L because of the "signal to noise" ratio many years ago. Then I started shooting international around 2003 and this venue was a much better fit for those disciplines anyway.

We still get the thinly-disguised spammers and the gizmo-philes; and the technique oriented discussions seem to be few and far between, but it's still a darned sight better than "typical" bullseye forums.

Don't mean to sound elitist (too late!) but do we really want to bring more bullseye (read: gizmo-philes and spammers) folks- it's a different culture, in my mind- over to this forum?

I'm not saying the bullseye culture is better- or worse- just that it's different. In bullseye culture the issues are *predominantly* reloading, equipment, and what's for buy/sale/trade. Very little focus (in general) on technique- relatively speaking- compared to the international culture.

I don't think I'm way off base here- and I know there are certainly exceptions (gizmo-philes in international and techni-philes in bullseye)- but I think my "over generalizations" is at least crudely accurate?

Seems like the situation where all those people move from Massachussetts to New Hampshire, and then start complaining about how there is too much freedom and the taxes are too low . . .

Steve Swartz
Bob Fleming

Post by Bob Fleming »

Steve,
You got me there! Perhaps TT does not seem objectionable because of the format. I do not have to delete things I am not interested in, I never even look at them. Out of sight, out of mind. For me, TT is a more pure shooting experience. I have been on the BE-L for about 9 years and would not want to abandon my friends but I have over 14,000 items in my in-boxes. It comes down to sitting in front of the computer or training. Often, I do not have time for both. The TT format is much more efficient. I enjoy all forms of pistol, shotgun and rifle competition, Never won anything big with Rifles or Shotguns but love them anyway. TT is the obvious choice.
Bob

Steve Swartz wrote:Bob:

I certainly don't mean to be disagreeable . . . but when was the last time we had a "technique" (as opposed to cleaning, modifying grips, which is best, etc.) discussion in this forum . . . ?

Steve Swartz
Misny

Post by Misny »

Steve,

I really don't want bullseye shooters to take over this site either. I am here primarily because of the international shooting. I do shoot both, however. I've seen you at both types of matches...dare I say that I've caught you with a red dot scoped gun and/or Beretta ball gun in your hand at one time or another ? My point, although I admittedly wandered from it, is that I think it would benefit me if the bullseye topics here were comparmentalized so I could skip them on days when I was so inclined. Calling me a Yankee is bad enough, but a transplant from Kennedyland...now them's fightin' words!
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Yeah, ya caught me . . . guilty as charged . . . not only a BE shooter but rifle (HP, LR and SB) as well . . .

I have mixed emotions about this- Ed Hall is one of the most useful and interesting posters in this forum, and he's definitely a BE guy (but more of a techni-phile than gizmo-phile? Nope; Ed is definitely both!).

Maybe a separate category; agree with Bob the format here makes it very easy to separate wheat/chaff. But I know that valuable Intl stuff would end up in the BE area and vice versa; so separating them into different topic areas is not a perfect answer either.

Of course many of us would end up reading both . . . leaving no time for training!

Steve
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

I believe I saw my name mentioned... Thanks, Steve - I think! (smile)

Although I'm primarily a BE shooter and only dabble in International, I would like to keep things as is. Scott already mentioned that he wanted this board to be Olympic in nature. I come here to discuss those topics that bridge both worlds. There are several places to discuss BE and several for International, but the two primary places are Bullseye-L and here, respectively. Currently, BE posters who do post here are generally looking for information from a broader base than the BE shooters. By placing that post in a BE section where the majority of International members won't even see the title, that purpose would be lost.

For those interested in BE that don't like receiving lots of uninteresting topics in their inbox, they can sign up for the BE-List and tell the setup page not to send anything to them. Then they can go to the on line archive and read those topics with interesting titles. They can still post if desired, but don't need to worry about filling up their mail boxes. It isn't as easy to use as TT, but it is usable.

As to the high "noise" level, neither list has a large percentage of things interesting to me personally, but those other topics are of interest to other members, and frankly, the less interesting topics that turn up, the more time I have to shoot. Besides, although Scott moderates the list well, does he really have more time to spend checking on yet another category?

I'd say keep the board Olympic in nature, as Scott's original desire. We BE shooters have several BE venues and they don't need to be further diluted. Some of them are almost dead. Our very own 7-time National Champion's web page has hardly more than a couple new topics a month. On the International side, Rouslan (Russ) Diatlov started a new board and has only had a couple posts since the beginning of the year.

Thank you, Scott, for the superb support you're providing to the International shooting community. I like the board just fine as is.

Take Care,
Ed Hall
http://www.airforceshooting.org/
http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/
Faisal Yamin

Post by Faisal Yamin »

Ah Ed ...Just love reading what ever you right where ever :)
FredMannis

Welcome

Post by FredMannis »

Welcome Faisal! Are you going to switch from BE to International?

Fred Mannis
Faisal Yamin

Post by Faisal Yamin »

Well not entirely, I still have a lot to do and learn in BE.
Will start more with air pistol first and see where it goes.

I'll be carefull though what I post :)