Where to buy Trigger Weights?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Swoffer

Where to buy Trigger Weights?

Post by Swoffer »

I would like to purchase a trigger weight for checking my air pistol but am having difficulty finding one apart from Potter Firearms. Are there any others available in the US?
Many thanks
Nicole Hamilton

Post by Nicole Hamilton »

Another alternative is a Trigger Pull Scale. I have the RCBS model, which is a pretty simple spring unit but it works great: You hook one end over the trigger as you pull the other end, gradually increasing the tension 'till the trigger breaks. Let up the pull and there's a little slider that marks the maximum pull you reached. It's calibrated from 8 oz to 8 lbs in 2 oz increments, which is sufficient for most air pistols. I bought mine from Dillon Precision. The price is $27. If you want something fancier, Dillon also has an electronic version, but that's $60.
IPshooter

Re: Where to buy Trigger Weights?

Post by IPshooter »

Swoffer wrote:I would like to purchase a trigger weight for checking my air pistol but am having difficulty finding one apart from Potter Firearms. Are there any others available in the US?
Many thanks
Neal has several different trigger weights:

http://www.nealjguns.com/ss_store/Match ... s-ss3.html

Stan
F. Paul in Denver

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

I reccommend staying with trigger weights rather than spring set ups. When an official weighs your gun - he'll be using weights - not springs and so should you. Also, a weight set will last until you lose it - springs wear out.

Try www.brownells.com - item # 8G54A89. At about $80, they seem to be more reasonably priced then Neal's.

Once you get the weights, you should get someone to teach you exactly how they are supposed to be used. Believe it or not, there are different ways you could use them and come up with different results.

F. Paul in Denver
F. Paul in Denver

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

Swoffer:

I think Brownells may have changed their item numbering system since they printed their last catalog.

If you are interested in weights, you may want to call them at 1-800-741-0015 to cross reference the item number I gave you with their present system.

F. Paul in Denver
Neil Foster

Official Weights

Post by Neil Foster »

The set that Brownell's sells is the "Universal Trigger Weight System" catalog 678-650-000, the reail price is $109.30
Neal Stepp at I.S.S. caries a set made by Gehman. It is catalog #750-1360K. Neal recently quoted the price at $100. This is probably the best deal since it will cover all ISSF Pistol trigger requirements. I do not know about rifle since I am not a rifle shooter (too much stuff to tote aound)
:-)
Neil
RJP

Trigger weights

Post by RJP »

For an unofficial trigger weight device, try using two full tins of pellets suspended on a bent coat hanger or in a plastic bag. For pellets that are 0.5 gram in weight, a full tin of 500 pellets weighs 250 grams. Two tins weigh 500 grams, just right for airpistol. I have also used this method to adjust my standard pistol using four tins of pellets.

When I shoot a registered match, my triggers are weighed with official weights and I have never had a problem with light triggers.