I just did something bad to my pardini :\

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
ikao

I just did something bad to my pardini :\

Post by ikao »

while reassembling my pardini, I accidentally stuck the allen wrench into the barrel and gave it about a turn before I realized what I was doing. anyone with experience with pardinis... do you think I may have damaged the barrel? (or should I try to take and post a picture of the barrel)
Mike T.

Damage to barrel?

Post by Mike T. »

Perhaps you could try pushing a cleaning patch through the bore (from the breech end to the muzzle end) with a close fitting plug on your cleaning rod and note whether it meets a change in resistance or snags on any lumps or burrs that might have been raised in the bore by the Allen key. If the patch doesn't snag and there is no significant change in resistance, you could be lucky and not have damaged the bore.
Damage around the crown should be visible with a magnifier.
It might take a test series of shots from a rest to determine if accuracy has been adversely affected .
william

Post by william »

OMIGOSH!!! I think you've totally destroyed your pistol, and furthermore every minute you own it risks disruption of the time-space continuum ;-( The only way to save planet Earth and the rest of the universe is to sell that pistol ASAP. In the interest of saving all that is, I'll give you $200 (US of course) for your Pardini ;-) Seriously, unless you applied an awful lot of force, I wouldn't worry too much.
sparky

Post by sparky »

Shoot it. If it groups well, don't worry about it.
Tom

Might not have done any damage

Post by Tom »

Hi,

I'm going to assume that you have a model with the larger of the 2 hex sizes for the barrel retaining bolt.

I measured the hex key supplied by Pardini and it was .217 max diameter, I also measured the bore size at the lands on my 3 Pardini barrels and they were .218-.219.

With that in mind, you may have made some scratches but unless you leaned on the wrench, you most likely escaped a costly situation.

However, if you have really hosed up the barrel, depending on what year you pistol is, I may have a replacement available. Let me know.

Tom
ikao

Post by ikao »

thanks for the responses, everyone :). and thanks for the offer, tom. I shot it tonight and it still performed beautifully, though. so luckily, I doubt I damaged it. still looks like 1 hole when benched; and about 2" groups offhand at 50' with my shaky hands.

phew! that's a load off my mind.
Nicole Hamilton

Post by Nicole Hamilton »

If it helps to further set your mind at ease, no matter whether they 'fess up to it or not, I can't imagine there's a Pardini owner out there who hasn't put the Allen wrench into the barrel at least once. The design of the gun makes this just so easy to do! If doing that ruined the gun, you'd hear a lot of complaints about the design. Personally, I've never heard any complaints, which I interpret to mean people do it, discover it makes no difference, then pretend it never happened.
ikao

Post by ikao »

thanks... you're right about that, I think. the way it's built, it's too easy to put that allen wrench in the wrong hole. still, having done it once now, I'll be doubly careful to never do that again :P
Willard

Pardini

Post by Willard »

If your Pardini is anything like mine, better known as a "pardon-me" on the firing line. I would recommend you find an allen wrench that doesn't quite fit in the barrel, and pound it in with a 2 pound ball peen hammer. Put it in a vise and break the end of the allen wrench that's sticking out off with a pair of vicegrips. Then get your welding machine out and TIG weld the wrench into the opening of your barrel with a nice quality stainless steel TIG rod. Grind it down flush, dip the whole gun in a clear Shallack and let it dry for a few days in an upright position to prevent runs. Then make a small teek stand for it and place it on your mantle piece knowing that you have saved yourself from any further heartaches due to missfires, bottlenecks, and the very occasional but not Smucker's, jam, on the firing line. Just think, no more alibis.
MJ

Post by MJ »

Thanks Willard for that very detailed repair procedure you have supplied to ikao.

I'm taking a guess that this is not quite the avenue the shooter was looking to go down, but that said, all input is welcomed.
Willard

Pardini

Post by Willard »

IKAO,
You'll have to "Padon-Me" for my reply : ) , I have done the same thing to mine, and I should really know better!!! Clean it ! Take the barrel off the gun and clean it with a new 22 bore brush. Wipe it out with a wad pusher, use a piece of paper towel, easier than a piece of cloth and you've got a whole roll to last you a life time. Look down the barrel, use a piece of white paper as a reflector under a light so you can REALLY see the inside of your barrel. Are there obvious burrs on the inside? severe digs? Probably not, These barrels are really tough. If you do I might take it to a gunsmith to have him clean it up. Might cost a few bucks but it's cheaper than a new barrel. If that's not the case you should be fine. I think this i ssomething we all go through. Post back and let me know what you see.