coloured foresight

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
clickngofar

coloured foresight

Post by clickngofar »

Hi All,

I'm new to the sport, and just about to take delivery of a new Steyr LP10.

Probably been thrashed to death, but what's the current thinking on using a coloured foresight post?

Is there any research to say one way or the other?

Regards,

Max
Spencer C

Post by Spencer C »

Henry Ford said "any colour you want, as long as it's black"

Lots of colours, fluorescents, etc. tried over the years, but most stick with flat black, particularly for indoor 10m.

S
Mike McDaniel

Post by Mike McDaniel »

Depends on the lighting at the firing point, and on your hold.

If the light at the firing point is low, or you are using a 6-oclock hold, black works best. If you have good light, or use a center hold, fluorescent orange will often work better.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I don't know anyone who shoots with anything other than a black foresight but I'm sure some do. For the sub six hold black must be best. Even for centre aim (in rapid type events) I use black and don't find it any problem.

I suggest you stick with black for now and consider trying alternatives if you think it may help once you've got used to the gun.

Rob.
Dan

Post by Dan »

Max,

as the others wrote already the choice mainly depends on your aiming technique. Since you say you are new to the sport (pretty luxury situation to start with the best pistol out there 8^) you may think that you aim in the middle of the black but for most target shooters (actually all i know) this does not work at all due to the contrast difference between the black and the sights. It has been established to aim either "six 'o clock", which means the top of your foresight touches the bottom of the black, or, far more popular, a "sub six" aim, which means theres a small white strip between the black and your foresight. This clearly means your foresight is pictured on top of the white/bright cardboard of the target and there can hardly be a better contrast than a black foresight.

Personally i am experimenting with orange on my .357 because i want to start IPSC and still continue precision, and switching your shooting style back and forth wont work. So i try a center hold and an orange forsight but only because a sub six hold does not seem to be doable in dynamic disciplines. If i had the choice, as you do in 10 m air pistol, sub six hold is the best.