ISSF Rule Amendments

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

David Levene

ISSF Rule Amendments

Post by David Levene »

There have been quite a few rule amendments effective from Jan 1st published in the ISSF News.

Whilst Pistol and Shotgun have some amendments Rifle, especially clothing, seems to have the most.
Spencer C

Post by Spencer C »

David,
Its a but of a bummer to read as a pdf file - I have put the changed 8.2.5.1 on the PA website with some comments on the application of the additional wording.
http://www.pistol.org.au/nrc and follow the ISSF link

Spencer C
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Thanks Spencer.

Another point which you do not mention is that "The action, breech or loading device must not be closed until the pistol is pointing downrange in a safe direction towards the target / butt stop area." is reinforcement that closed air pistols must not be pointed straight up at the ceiling when taking or checking your grip on the pistol. I always thought that 8.6.1.2 was a bit wooly on this
Spencer C

Post by Spencer C »

8.6.1.2 / 7.2.5.1 are being enforced around the world a lot more strongly than they were. These are not particularly 'new' rules and I find it somewhat amazing when a shooter receives a warning and wants to protest that the range officials are arbitarily bringing in new rules...

Unfortunately, some coaches and shooters do not bother to read (or understand) the rules. It might seem far out to some, but coaches in any sport have a responsibility to ensure that their athlete/s compete WITHIN the rules.

Spencer C

Post by Guest »

Spencer C wrote:It might seem far out to some, but coaches in any sport have a responsibility to ensure that their athlete/s compete WITHIN the rules.
With respect, I disagree. It is the athlete's responsibility to make sure they are within the rules.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Anonymous wrote:
Spencer C wrote:It might seem far out to some, but coaches in any sport have a responsibility to ensure that their athlete/s compete WITHIN the rules.
With respect, I disagree. It is the athlete's responsibility to make sure they are within the rules.
It is both of theirs responsibility (IMHO). Ultimately the shooter is the one that carries the can, but a coach needs to be fully aware of the rules and make sure their shooters are in compliance with them.

Rob.
Spencer C

Post by Spencer C »

Anonymous wrote:With respect, I disagree. It is the athlete's responsibility to make sure they are within the rules.
Yes, but!
As Rob writes, 'It is both of theirs responsibility', and too often the coaches do not give shooters good information when it comes to the rules, and at some point the shooter gets the warning, penalty, or worse.

As this thread started in relation to safety matters, many shooters know only enough of the rules to keep out of trouble, and most of this by word of mouth, and unfortunately some coaches do not bother to know much more of the rules than the average shooter.
Imagine if a driving instructor did not bother to stress to learner drivers
the need to comply with speed limits, traffic lights, the use of turn signals before changing lanes, which side of the road to drive on, etc. Outside of sports, this attitude could be interpreted as unprofessional...

Worse, there are some shooters (and coaches) who consider that rules that suit them are important rules, and the rules that do not suit them are not important. In the long run, it is easier for everybody if the shooter knows the rules, and in the matters of safety complies with them.

Perhaps a volunteer coach (god bless them and their dedication) can be forgiven for not being an expert in the rules, but...

Off the soapbox and have a happy 2006

Regards,
Spencer
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Joy upon joys, the ISSF Rules 2nd Printing are now available for downloading.

Now I know it's going to be difficult but please try to curb your excitement.

Happy reading.

BTW, if you've read the first printing and also the January amendments in the ISSF News then I don't think you will find anything new.

EDIT NOTE: I retract my comment about nothing new. 8.17.0 has been changed so there may be other new amendments.

ANOTHER EDIT NOTE: I just found the full Errata List.