Realalistic goal for shooing an izh-46m at 6m

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Zilla

Realalistic goal for shooing an izh-46m at 6m

Post by Zilla »

Ok a few weeks back i was asking about the izh-46m vs the daisy....well Santa..ie the wife...had a surprise package for me under the tree...a new izh-46m. Of course I just had to shoot it immediatly and I am very happy.

My indoor range I can manage 6m of shooting length. I found online the reduced 6m targets in a pdf file.

Now i have no experience with shooing air pistol. I have shot pistols 22, 9mm, .357 but never for accuracy compitetion and so on.

With all that in mind my initial goal is to be able to place all my shots in the black. I did do a 20 shot run last night for fun and managed to get 12 out of 20 in the black. So I am thinking this would be a good initial goal.

Any and all thoughts apprectiated. If nothing else I am having fun with my new toy.

Merry Christmas

Ross
cdf

Post by cdf »

Work your way inwards , hold the black , then try to keep to eight or better ...etc. Most importantly , have fun .Keep goals attainable but slightly above your comfort zone .

Rememder , due to longer barrel time , followthru is vital with air pistols .

Enjoy ,

Chris
Dan

Post by Dan »

You have to learn the proper technique. If you never shot precision before, it would be very surprising if you could hold hte black right away. What do you think the 6-1 rings are for after all if even a beginner would hold the black? 8^)

Seriously i do this quite intensive for two yaers now and over a 40 shot course i will usually put one ore two in the six. Thats not a problem unless you make it one. Remember after all the edge of the black is totally random. There is no greater difference between 6 and 7 than between 7 and 8.

As was said before, followthrough is important, good sight and trigger are essential. Do you aim sub-six? In precision, few people adjust their sights for the bulls eye; you set them up so you see the black and a small strip of white above your sights.

Regarding a well defined shot process search this site esp. for Steve schwartz posts he describes the process in detail.
Zilla

Post by Zilla »

Thanks for the thoughts guys and my main goal is to just have fun. A little background on me. When i say i have never shot percision i just mean pistol. In college i shot 3p smallbore and also standing air rifle. All be it that was 7 years ago now. I think that is why i am holding my self to a higher standard quickly.

I have already learned how important follow through is....it makes a huge difference..I have been forcing myself to folow through.

Dan...I alwasy wondered what those 1-6 ring were for hehehe :)

I have been aiming at the bottom of the black with a hair of white showing and got the sites adjusted for that.

Shoot tens boys!

Ross
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Ross,
The only thing I would add to the above comments, is that you might want to spend some time getting the IZH grips to fit your hand. Mine felt like I was holding a 2x4. Check the Archives and also Don Nygord's website for suggestions on altering the grips. A set of properly fitted grips means one less thing to think about in the shot process.

Enjoy!

Fred
Zilla

Post by Zilla »

Fred,

I couldnt agree more...its is just like a 2x4. I have been reading up on the modifications folks have mentioned and I will check out dons info too. I should be able to get it to fit my hand nicely.
Thanks

Ross
scout18

Post by scout18 »

Hey Z welcome. I think you should be able to put all 40 in the black at 6m. Just from your background. Now sit back and put your pellets away. Time for dry fire. Get that grip to fit your hand. You are looking for it to point where your eye is looking when you raise your hand. Wear glasses that obscure your non shooting eye and put that site on your aim point. look at the front sight and squeeze on off. Just dry fire. Watch the fornt sight and when the shot breaks there should be no movement of that front sight. It shoud stay on the spot all the way until the follw through ends. As you are getting the grip to fit you you may wish to check the weight of the trigger it should only be around 500 grams. Mine is 510g. Yes it is an Izzy. The little things are essential to refine. You need a shot plan. Mine goes like this. Pump, load, breathein, raise lineup as breathout, intention to the 10, front sight focus, let ergo when she's on. (usualy fairly quick 3-5seconds) trigger followthrough. everytime dry or loaded. At least that is the plan. It takes me about 20 -40 dry fires to really get me in the zone then I start shooting pellets. Dry fire makes a huge difference for me. good luck.
BothellBob

Post by BothellBob »

Zilla,
As an old 4p rifle shooter (but 40 years ago) the most difficult thing I had to learn was to ignore the target and focus on the front sight. I still don't know how it is I see the target, but I have come to appreciate that when I locate the bull, then put all my attention on the front sight and maintaining front and rear alignment, something good happens. When I let my focus wander to the target I get an opportunity to use the 1-6 rings.
-BothellBob
My friend told me to take up golf. He said golf would teach me the lessons of humility. I told him I shot free pistol, so I had all the humility I could stand.