IZH-35M Firing Pin Retainer

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
diopter

IZH-35M Firing Pin Retainer

Post by diopter »

I am having a hard time using a drift punch to get the retainer out.
Anyone else had this happen to them? Have bent one punch to date on it.

Any helpful ideas out there?
CraigJS

Post by CraigJS »

I no longer have a 35M to look at but, have you tried punching it out from the other direction? (If thats even possible) Perhaps its tapered?
Just a thought.. Good luck1
CraigJS
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Unless you have to replace the firing pin, I wouldn't mess with it. I find it is possible to clean the firing pin & surrounding area without disassembly. I use aerosol spray can and pipe cleaners.

If you have to drive the pin, I would shorten the punch pin as much as possible. Brownells sells short punches with replaceable pins; cheaper than having to buy an entire new punch!
Good luck.

Fred
diopter

Post by diopter »

Mine tripled and doubled on me during timed fire last time out.
Just wanted to make sure the firing pin hole has no burs or rough spots where it might prevent the firing pin from moving freely.
TomF

Post by TomF »

Also check the recess in the slide face. That is where my slam fires were coming from.

I checked some cases that were slam fired and they had no firing pin indentations. So I deburred the recess in the slide face and cut a small chamfer with a stone in the chamber opening so it did not have a sharp edge.

This cured my slam fires.

I wrote about this not long ago but cannot find the thread.
diopter

Post by diopter »

I remember that post Tom, and did check for burs on the bolt face, none.
I also checked to see whether the extractor was moving freely and not stuck hitting the rim hard while the slide is going into battery.
TomF

Post by TomF »

Did any of your cases have firing pin strikes?

You could be losing headspace and chamfering the chamber opening will take the edge off.

Also check to make sure the bolt face and breach are square.

Good luck!
diopter

Post by diopter »

Just checked the sides of the chamber and there were burrs on both sides, just now removed with half round pumice stones. Bolt face did indeed also have a slight narrowing which is now more square with the rim recess.

Thanks Tom.

I'll put it through it paces on Tueday.
nthe10ring

izh 35 M

Post by nthe10ring »

When I first got my 35 M, it would double and occasionally go full auto, I had my dealer send it back to EAA , they worked on it and had it back in a week. Since then, I can shoot anything in it and it functions perfectly. I think they increased the headspace. I really love this gun.
Slugster

Post by Slugster »

I have had this gun about a year or so, and just now tried to get the firing pin out.

I can't get mine out either; found a lot of gunk built up under the front of the firing pin. Most of it can be picked out with a piece of wire and I had no firing problems, I just was curious to make sure it was all clean and good in there--but I can't budge the pin to get it apart.

Someone on the Brunelli page says it pushes out bottom-to-top. I tried both ways, bent the included punch as well. I couldn't see any evidence of movement either direction. It might be a cheap punch but I was knocking it pretty hard. I guess it's just in there really tight; the trigger blade screws were really tight as well. They had to be oiled and backed in-and-out a bit at a time. I don't have a shop press to push it properly in.
~
James Hurr

Press

Post by James Hurr »

You can use a normal drill press if you're desperate, usually better than a hammer.
Just remember to unplug it, and if its a cheap one to prop the table.
diopter

Post by diopter »

The firing pin does make contact with the pin, causing some damage to the pin. that is the reason it is hard to remove.
I was told to use a starting punch, that is one that comes to a point, to get the pin to move. Then use a flat tip punch to get it out completely.

Stone the pin to remove th damage before reinserting. Much easier the second time.